PDA

View Full Version : Gun Vault Moisture

costanza
03-30-2015, 04:05 PM
Hi Everyone:
I just wanted to share a minor gun vault experience that surprised me a bit. I have two vaults in my basement-a big 600 pound Cannon that I purchased a few years ago, and my original 150 pound vault I now use to store only ammo. I run a 30 pint dehumidifier in the basement at 60 percent(which will now go way down asap!), and have two 'goldenrod' type dehumidifier units- one in each of in the vaults. This weekend, I had to move my little vault with 600 pounds of ammo in it. It would not budge! So I took everything out of it to organize the ammo stash, and found that the dollar store moisture remover I put in there two months ago had over a pint of water in it! I didn't think these things really worked! And I thought my vaults were keeping things fairly dry! I have an electrical outlet in the big vault, and will have to buy something that works a bit better for the high humidity summer months, when my humidifier runs nearly non-stop.

Regards,
Costanza

juicemon
04-01-2015, 10:38 PM
At 60 percent humidity you could almost use the basement as a cigar humidor! I'm sure dropping the level will go a long way to keeping your safes dry.
k

costanza
04-02-2015, 08:06 AM
At 60 percent humidity you could almost use the basement as a cigar humidor! I'm sure dropping the level will go a long way to keeping your safes dry.
k
I really had no idea 60 percent was that damp! I now wonder what the basement humidity is without the dehumidifier! Maybe I need another unit? I think the dehumidifier settings only go down to 50 percent, and I empty the water bin every other day at that rate. Winter months are fine, but in the summer, the amount of water collected increases tenfold. I will be buying more of those moisture removal canisters until I figure out what to do...Thanks for the reply!
Regards, Costanza

lethean
04-02-2015, 08:14 AM
A lot of dehumidifiers have a hookup for a garden hose, which you can then route to your sump well or drain. It keeps you from having to empty it regularly.

somebody
04-02-2015, 08:22 AM
A lot of dehumidifiers have a hookup for a garden hose, which you can then route to your sump well or drain. It keeps you from having to empty it regularly.

This is precisely what I was going to recommend.

Draken
04-02-2015, 09:34 AM

This. I run mine into my condensate pump for my furnace, works like a charm.

Thrindle
04-07-2015, 05:10 AM
Even 50 is too high. The reason is the big ugly hairy evil looking centipedes. They like humidity over 45%. I keep my dehumidifier at 40%

erict
04-07-2015, 06:40 AM
Mine just has a dial setting of 0-10. Keeping mine set at setting 6 will keep the basement at 40-45%. I have two humidity monitors in the basement. One in the open and one in the safe to keep an accurate monitor on things. One thing about dehumidifiers is they cost $$$ to run. Mine is around $50 per month,crazy.

bolonytony24
04-07-2015, 06:58 AM
I keep a mason jar with desiccant inside my safe. A few holes in the top and I shake it about once in a while and change beads occasionaly too. Seems to work well but I have access to desiccant at work and it's free to me when it's left over from a job .

costanza
04-07-2015, 11:29 AM
Even 50 is too high. The reason is the big ugly hairy evil looking centipedes. They like humidity over 45%. I keep my dehumidifier at 40%

Ha! Yes! I hat those things. Yesterday, I bumped my dehumidifier down to 40 percent, it has been a couple of years since I have had(seen) any centipedes, but used to see them fairly often. They are the real reason I carry a gun! Gotta rig up the drain hose!

Veteran
04-18-2015, 01:54 PM
I use a dehumidifer with a hose to my floor drain also. I have one of those desiccants that you plug in to dry and then leave it in your safe. Dry it out every few months. No problems.

MSUICEMAN
04-20-2015, 02:36 PM
I use a dehumidifer with a hose to my floor drain also. I have one of those desiccants that you plug in to dry and then leave it in your safe. Dry it out every few months. No problems.

exactly what i do for my safe, though I have two of those dessicant things with hard beads in there.

costanza
04-20-2015, 02:44 PM
exactly what i do for my safe, though I have two of those dessicant things with hard beads in there.
I have an electric 'goldenrod' dehumidifier rod in each vault, plus a throw away moisture absorber in each one. My big electric dehumidifier for the whole basement is now set lower at 40 percent based on comments here, but seems to run almost constantly in the spring and summer due to the dampness of my basement...mid-50's house just seems very damp. The vaults are good though...

MSUICEMAN
04-22-2015, 06:32 AM
I have a house built in 1950, but its not too bad in the basement. probably runs about 30% of the time in summer, almost never in winter.

costanza
04-22-2015, 08:25 AM
I have a house built in 1950, but its not too bad in the basement. probably runs about 30% of the time in summer, almost never in winter. now I wonder why my basement humidity is so high in the summer. No real water leaks to speak of. The dehumidifier runs almost non-stop, especially when the A/C is on. I should have titled my thread "Basement Moisture", as my gun vault, with both the goldenrods and moisture absorbers, is fine. I appreciate all the info and comments!

MSUICEMAN
04-22-2015, 09:25 AM
My basement has been painted with drylok also. Maybe your dehumidifier is a small capacity? I think mine is 80 pintsz could be wrong, will have to look.

costanza
04-28-2015, 08:31 AM
My basement has been painted with drylok also. Maybe your dehumidifier is a small capacity? I think mine is 80 pintsz could be wrong, will have to look.
Drylok may be a help. My dehumidifier is not huge-I guess it holds about two gallons or so, and it fills up every 3-4 days. Funny that the ratings are listed in pints just to make the units seem high capacity!

MSUICEMAN
04-28-2015, 08:40 AM
The ratings aren't regarding onboard storage of water, it's the amount of water it can strip from the air in a certain timeframe. Just checked, mine is 70 pint rated.

Kenbow
04-28-2015, 01:47 PM
Things that will help keep a damp basement dry, keeping your gutters clean and downspouts attached to route water away from the foundation. Dry lock the basement walls to help prevent moisture from seeping through the walls, especially block walls.

Divegeek
04-28-2015, 03:24 PM
For those of you who have dehumidifiers in your basements, check this website out: http://www.greedehumidifierrecall.com/ProductEntry.aspx

Apparently Gree makes something like 80% of all residential dehumidifiers sold in the US. They have caused several houses to burn.

MSUICEMAN
04-28-2015, 05:48 PM
I have an LG and a Frigidaire that I bought last year in August. Looks like I should be unaffected by the recall. The LG works but I basically only use the new Frigidaire. I thought the LG broke in the flood, but once it fully dried out weeks later, it decided to work again.

costanza
04-30-2015, 09:24 AM
The ratings aren't regarding onboard storage of water, it's the amount of water it can strip from the air in a certain timeframe. Just checked, mine is 70 pint rated. Got It! Duh! I had no idea...

cmr19xx
04-30-2015, 09:47 AM
My humidifier is set at 45%. It hasn't run much this season. I've got a hygrometer (sp?) to monitor the humidity levels and they've been about 40% in my basement where my safe is.

MSUICEMAN
05-07-2015, 10:42 AM
with the beginning of some humid air outside now, my humidifier is running quite a bit. also doesn't help that we have the windows open to save on A/C. once we have the central air on, I doubt it will run much again.

kalamazoo
06-15-2015, 08:40 AM
Ha! Yes! I hat those things. Yesterday, I bumped my dehumidifier down to 40 percent, it has been a couple of years since I have had(seen) any centipedes, but used to see them fairly often. They are the real reason I carry a gun! Gotta rig up the drain hose!

Thanks, good advice. I had a bunch of those last year!

scatter
06-21-2015, 06:44 AM
Even having mine upstairs, I remove quite a bit. Unless I'm running the central air, which takes most of the moisture out of the air. I use the keep dry desiccant from Menards also. I was surprised at how much moisture it pulls out.

garbler
09-16-2015, 11:13 AM
I can confirm that ambient humidity of 60% is way too high and enough to promote and sustain most fungal molds. In my wood shop I pretty much have to keep the humidity around 20-25% or my wood takes off on me. I use Golden Rods in both of my safes and even in damp basements I've never had any problems. The only problem was having to drill holes through the side walls of my Mosler safes for the cords but it was worth the trade off. You can buy these unit almost anywhere they sell guns or gun safes they don't cost much. I still use desiccant cans for some things but not for safes.

Good luck

costanza
09-17-2015, 08:53 AM
I can confirm that ambient humidity of 60% is way too high and enough to promote and sustain most fungal molds. In my wood shop I pretty much have to keep the humidity around 20-25% or my wood takes off on me. I use Golden Rods in both of my safes and even in damp basements I've never had any problems. The only problem was having to drill holes through the side walls of my Mosler safes for the cords but it was worth the trade off. You can buy these unit almost anywhere they sell guns or gun safes they don't cost much. I still use desiccant cans for some things but not for safes.

Good luckHey Garbler:
I use goldenrods in both my vaults, along with dessicant (sp?) cans. The Goldenrods work great! The vaults are good humidity wise, but that damn basement dehumidifier is set at 40% and runs almost constantly. It fills up every other day. I guess I am simply too lazy to route it to the floor drain! I guess I should have titled my thread 'Basement Moisture' instead. I don't have any real basement leaks or seepage, but without the dehumidifier running, the basement is very damp.
Regards,
Coatanza

garbler
09-17-2015, 08:59 AM
Costanza, Sorry I guess I wasn't paying attention. Yea a wet basement is a problem and there are no cheap and easy answers.

Good luck

costanza
09-18-2015, 08:51 AM
No problem Garbler!
Funny I have no basement leaks, except during very hard rain events, yet it is very damp in the basement. No way to afford the waterproofing thing. I guess I will just keep the dehumidifier running...

jjk454ss
11-29-2015, 11:04 PM
When I try to keep the humidity down to 50 in my basement using a dehumidifier my electric bill goes up about $75-$80 dollars.

erict
11-30-2015, 06:12 PM
When I try to keep the humidity down to 50 in my basement using a dehumidifier my electric bill goes up about $75-$80 dollars.

Yup, mine too. Dehumidifiers are power hunger but it's the trade off I guess.

Boatboy
12-04-2015, 08:48 AM
A word of caution
In the past I have used the moisture wicking beads
one day I was in the vault and while taking the container out I has a stupid attack and spilled a bit didn't notice I spilled a few drops on my Browning GTI well of course Dick Williams had to reblue
I was not a happy camper

Yes they work no question but be careful
I put many in my boat over the winter and in the spring all are filled with water and I avoid mold and mildew

Hank

ShepardCC
12-18-2015, 06:42 PM
Ive never had any issues with mine. However I've always put a bunch of silicone packages in mine. So try that ;)

dave7120
06-04-2016, 10:53 PM
ive read to keep them between 45 and 55% humidity. which I try to keep in that range

Jared1981
06-23-2016, 08:31 PM
A heating rod works fine. It plugs into an outlet and it will get warm but that is enough to keep the air moving inside the safe and it will take care of any problems that humidity may cause.

pips
11-29-2016, 08:21 PM
You are better off using a humidifier in the safe as well as outside. Golden rods do nothing but heat the air, the humidity goes no where. They can also dry out stocks if they are to close.

jjk454ss
11-29-2016, 09:20 PM
You are better off using a humidifier in the safe as well as outside. Golden rods do nothing but heat the air, the humidity goes no where. They can also dry out stocks if they are to close.

I don't think it's true that these do nothing, they lower the relative humidity so that water does not condense on anything inside the safe, thus preventing rust. And I highly doubt that the few degrees difference is going to be an issue that it will dry out a stock, but maybe someone knows more about this than I do and can chime in