PDA

View Full Version : I feel for the hunters out in the open on the east side of the state

OzShadow
11-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Sure they would all love a blind with a good roof this weekend if they're in a stand.

Looks like we will have the first hint of snow soon on top of the rainy crap we been getting as well.

dominus
11-15-2008, 03:31 PM
West side too I'm guessing, drove out to Battle Creek today and it was cold and rainy the whole way out there.

tenthumbs
11-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Dog House blind to the rescue!! ;-)

tenthumbs

Maranatha
11-15-2008, 05:39 PM
this is the first opener I've missed in years and felt pretty good when I saw the rain on the radar.

glad I wasn't out in this mess.

Kimber45
11-15-2008, 05:41 PM
I know one happy hunter, taurus92, who took home his second deer of the season soon after the opening bell. Nothing like success to take the cold and the rain away.

I taught him everything I know about hunting and he still scores! :lol:

Johnson16
11-15-2008, 06:05 PM
I just wish there was decent state land here in SE MI. If I am unaware of some please tell me!

Ttwo669
11-15-2008, 06:52 PM
i could only stand 2.5 hours of it, i don't have a stand, or a blind. I found an awesome spot but it sucks when it's raining.

Johnson16
11-15-2008, 07:01 PM
i could only stand 2.5 hours of it, i don't have a stand, or a blind. I found an awesome spot but it sucks when it's raining.

I bought a pop up blind a couple years back.....great investment. Sure you not up in a tree, buy you are protected from the elements. Plus you can put a nice chair in one of them and be quite comfortable. I know poeple that have fired up MR. Heaters in there too. Course the blinds then to "sweat" then.

Ttwo669
11-15-2008, 07:06 PM
i havent been out in a couple years, so i figured i would go out the night before and find a spot. next spring i will be making an above ground blind with a tv/heater/fridge/microwave..
:scratch:

soop
11-15-2008, 07:53 PM
We hunted in our shirt sleeves in our heated elevated blind. Heated up some venison sloppy joes for lunch and BS`ed until it stopped raining and the deer started moving. I passed up several young deer and one buck that came in real close.Probably should have popped him. Maybe tomorrow.
Saw around 10 deer all day. Usually see 30 or more. Still it wasn`t a total loss. And the heated blind made it easy to stay out all day.

remingtondude58
11-15-2008, 08:52 PM
I sat out in the rain all day but it was worth it for the 3 pt I got.

Done Deal
11-15-2008, 09:01 PM
No rain in central Michigan.

Luckystrike45acp
11-15-2008, 09:09 PM
My dad and I were out from 6:00am till 4:30 unfortunately with nothing to show. Lucklily we had a makeshift blind to fend of the rain or whe would've been quite misrable.

Spooked a Buck on the way in with no chance of a shot (thick brush) other than that no other sightings all day.

Oh well a bad day hunting is better than a good day at work
:sniper:

Knimrod
11-15-2008, 09:28 PM
It wasn't much better in the central part of the State (Dansville).. Spent all day in a leaky ground blind.. The deer were smarter then we were.. No one in our 12 person group even saw a deer today..

dougwg
11-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Saw 2
Shot 0

Thought these were funny.

The last one looks fun.

OzShadow
11-16-2008, 06:39 AM
Det news picked up the story too.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081115/SPORTS07/811150440/1004

dono
11-16-2008, 07:09 PM
A buddy of mine shot a doe this morning. His first, our first field dressing.
its the first deer that has been taken in 10 years from our camp.
i'll post a picture later.

Made_in_Michigan
11-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Well boys and girls, I've just spent the last two FULL days in the woods. Yes there was rain, snow, sleet, and wind... EGADS...

Sadly I only saw five deer, and shot the fifth one (a doe I had assumed) Sadly, it was a button buck. But I'll be serving choice tenderloin chips tomorrow evening at my dad's bday party.

Garbo
11-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Wasnt too bad in Harrison,, once again I got caught with my pants down Opening morning 1 hour after day break my 10 year old and i were in my blind,, and I happen to look out my right side almost over my shouldner and I see something comming through the woods and sure enough a solid and massive 8 point was walking right at me with his nose in the air looking right in the blind. We both froze,, I was in no position to draw and make a left handed shot but I was hoping he would just continue on the run which he would have passed in front of me for a perfect shot. Well he got about 10 feet from us and then doubled back and ran as fast as I've ever seen a deer run. I'm pretty sure he just winded us but I didnt see a dam thing after that.

We were cought off guard because I was set up to shoot the other way,, he came up down wind from us,, I cant believe he got that close.

KayL
11-16-2008, 09:06 PM
Boy, I'll bet your kid got a kick out of that!

huntmeister
11-16-2008, 11:31 PM
I got and 8 point at 8:30. opening day. then got soaked, rained constant all day north western lenawee county

He was hot on the trail of a doe that I had been watching, hanging around one of his scrapes.
One shot drop.

I got soaked, after that walking to get my 4 wheeler and then doing the gut and drag, but it was so nice to have an opening day buck.

My last minute dog house pop up blind made for a good dry hunt, I past up another 8 point yesterday night that was making its way to my friends son through the corn field but he never saw it.

Ron L
11-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Another day and a half to go. I'm glad I invested in a couple new pop-up blinds this year. Me and all my kids were able to use them, especially opening weekend.