PDA

View Full Version : Deer conspiracy?

ncmidda
11-16-2008, 12:54 PM
I wish it was a conspiracy instead of hunter stupidity, I mean error.
Being the lawful and safe hunter I am, I waited until I was in my stand yesterday morning to load my shotgun (checked guide for correct time):roll:
At exactly 8am after an hour of fighting the urge to sleep, I saw movement. It was a nice six point and he was headed my way. I raised the barrel and waited for him to step into the bead at which point I squeezed the trigger. Ok, now heres where things go down hill. I am tasting backstraps wrapped in bacon sizzling on the grill, hell I can even smell it. When you pull the trigger you normally hear a loud bang and feel the recoil. Not me. I heard a click and so did Mr. 6pt. He looked at me and I looked at the gun. I was in shock. Now what, my mind was racing almost as fast as that buck was running in the opposite direction. I eventually racked another shell, but it did not matter.

I found the ejected shell expecting to see the little dent in the primer, which would have made me feel a little better. I was prepared to place the blame on Winchester for making crappy shells causing me to miss a nice deer. Unfortunatly there was no dent. I used too much quiet loading that gun and did not get that shell fully into the chamber. I know they make nice quiet single shot slug guns with fancy scopes and all the trimmings. I just like that trusty old shot gun and have shot plenty with it.

Now for the conspiracy part. Last bow season I had my "trusty" old bow. I just put a "trusty" new sight on it and put what I thought was plenty of arrows down range with it. I was wrong. In my stand opening morning. Nice 6pt. walks in 15 yards away. I draw and let him walk into the sight. Head down and stopped, I aim and once again can taste and smell that grill. Released the arrow and heard a very loud crack, not much unlike the sound of bone. I killed the hell out of that little tree. (trees don't taste good grilled, even wrapped in bacon.)

Life is about learning along the way. I learned that its important to pump that shell in the gun, probably why its named that. Don't put a new sight on your bow between the morning and evening hunt and think all the bugs are worked out. And most importantly, if something similar to this happens to you, don't go right back to your camp and tell your buddies expecting sympathy. They shot my hat even after my protest that it wasn't an official "miss". They thought otherwise and who am I to argue with four armed dirty guys that want to shoot something.

dono
11-16-2008, 07:15 PM
i did something similar a few years back. i deiced to slowly release the action on my rem 742. Had a nice 4pt (would have been my First deer) in the scope and he heard me fiddling with the action so he bugged out. I am still deer less

Made_in_Michigan
11-16-2008, 07:20 PM
I used too much quiet loading that gun and did not get that shell fully into the chamber.

WOW, I did the exact same thing this morning and would have wound up with the exact same end result, but the Remmi 1100 I am using would not allow me to feed shells into the tube while the shell in the chamber wasn't seated properly (THANKFULLY). I fretted for about 2 minutes thinking about how I must have put it back together wrong, before realizing why it wouldn't feed. I ejected, reloaded, and she ran sweet as can be.

Sadly, I do not have a nice six to show for it, as I took my button buck on Saturday. Didn't see anything today other than a 3 wedges of swans...

Live and learn I guess. I will never make that mistake again, (and if I do, I will know what is wrong immediately.)

huntmeister
11-16-2008, 11:46 PM
I had shot at a nice 8 point with about 4 flat tops hanging around it with my side lock muzzle loader, it went "pop!" and I held the sight steady hoping for a BANG, nothing. all the deer just stood there, slowly lowered my rifle opened a velcro pocket on my vest to get my capper, a doe heared the velcro looked up at me,spooked, blew and they all ran off. that sucked.