PDA

View Full Version : Walleye run is on!!!!

mikethepike
04-10-2015, 11:56 AM
Caught these in between the rain drops yesterday. 24" to 28 1/2 (11.5 lbs ) all on antifreeze jig and a 4" brown rubber worm and a stinger.

Was stopped by the local C.O. for a license check as i pulled in to the launch and as he approached me he asked "are you carrying a pistol" ..I said "no sir , I would've told you before you approached" ...he said " its nice to know some people still follow the law"

We were talking and showed me a somewhat giant 10 point whitetail mount he confiscated in a joint county poacher case. He said " don't shoot deer with a rifle in a shotgun zone and I wont take your $1000 10 point mount"

http://i.imgur.com/BOVnmjX.jpg

langenc
04-10-2015, 12:06 PM
Just because some fish cop walks up to me on a pier aint reason to disclose. If he asks for my license, yes.

"....as he approached he asked..." Id say he needs to check the law.

Ruger
04-10-2015, 12:42 PM
I've often wondered what PC they have for doing a license check. I was fishing in a tournament where all the entry's boats had a flag on it so they could be spotted by the tournament officials. 4 hours into the event 6 boats within 100 yards of each other, all bearing flags were not just checked for licenses, but a boat safety check to-boot! Took maybe 15 minutes tops but non the less tempers flared and the man that had control of the boat I was in came unglued and used some real colorful language directed at the CO. and told him he'll see him again..........on land! It was an ugly day to not catch fish and to be molested by the man.....

Oh Yeah...............nice fish Mike, The Warden tells me that there was 15 boats jockeying for position in-front of the RenCen most of the week. Slam'em while ya can! http://www.migunowners.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=33363&stc=1

FYI Walleye is going for well over $12@pound at most of the markets in my area!

mikethepike
04-10-2015, 12:51 PM
Just because some fish cop walks up to me on a pier aint reason to disclose. If he asks for my license, yes.

"....as he approached he asked..." Id say he needs to check the law.

So if I was carrying that day and didn't disclose immediately ..isn't that in the same realm of being pulled over and not disclosing immediately??

mikeb32
04-10-2015, 12:51 PM
Nice Job Captain!!

mikethepike
04-10-2015, 12:59 PM
I've often wondered what PC they have for doing a license check. I was fishing in a tournament where all the entry's boats had a flag on it so they could be spotted by the tournament officials. 4 hours into the event 6 boats within 100 yards of each other, all bearing flags were not just checked for licenses, but a boat safety check to-boot! Took maybe 15 minutes tops but non the less tempers flared and the man that had control of the boat I was in came unglued and used some real colorful language directed at the CO. and told him he'll see him again..........on land! It was an ugly day to not catch fish and to be molested by the man.....

Oh Yeah...............nice fish Mike, The Warden tells me that there was 15 boats jockeying for position in-front of the RenCen most of the week. Slam'em while ya can! http://www.migunowners.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=33363&stc=1

FYI Walleye is going for well over $12@pound at most of the markets in my area!

Easy way NOT to get checked over and over again for the "bikini check" is to get a vessel safety check from the coast guard auxillary. Its a 15 minute inspection from them and you display the sticker at the helm glass somewhere. Even if you have that , fish cops will still ask for your license, but cannot perform a safety inspection as it was already done.(this goes for all city and state--Feds can still check) Quick and easy ...yes sir, no sir..any hot spots? Good day.

2 years ago I was checked 4x's by the same Wayne county water cops on the same boat in 1 wknd!!!! Now they can go and bother someone else who isn't breaking the rules. --creeps

G22
04-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Easy way NOT to get checked over and over again for the "bikini check" is to get a vessel safety check from the coast guard auxillary. Its a 15 minute inspection from them and you display the sticker at the helm glass somewhere. Even if you have that , fish cops will still ask for your license, but cannot perform a safety inspection as it was already done.(this goes for all city and state--Feds can still check) Quick and easy ...yes sir, no sir..any hot spot? Good day.

2 years ago I was checked 4x's by the same Wayne county water cops on the same boat in 1 wknd!!!! Now they can go and bother someone else who isn't breaking the rules. --creeps

My buddy actually had a CGA come out to his house to do the inspection, off the clock, 2 years in a row! Now that's service!
That sticker is definitely worth it, like you said.

Nice eyes Mike! I'm hoping to get out this weekend.

bolonytony24
04-10-2015, 02:11 PM
HEading out this weekend to try my luck . Get boat out and run around.
Did you pick these up on the river? We may hit the channels .

mikethepike
04-10-2015, 03:26 PM
HEading out this weekend to try my luck . Get boat out and run around.
Did you pick these up on the river? We may hit the channels .

I fish the river 99% of the time because there are walleye in the system all time. My 17' is perfectly adapted for river conditions and venturing out to the lake requires trailering or a 1/2 hour run with no guarantees

STAY VERTICLE ...you can use minnows early in the jig season , later it swtiches to just plastics. Minnows are a pain sometimes because having dual licenses , the Queen doesn't like when you bring in fresh dipped minnows to her side of the pond. (200.00 fine)...so I mainly just use 4" brown or black rubber worms on a 1oz (or lighter) antifreeze color jig with a stinger hook. Braided line is a must (because of stretch) and I use a barrel swivel with a 2' 10-12lb mono liter for 2 reasons. 1) I think when the water is Gin clear it gives your presentation a more natural appeal and 2) if you do snag and cant get your jig back...you only lose the mono and not 100' of braid

Signess
04-10-2015, 04:48 PM
So... Why were you NOT carrying mister?!? :cop:

Edit: Nice fish!

mikethepike
04-10-2015, 05:04 PM
My buddy actually had a CGA come out to his house to do the inspection, off the clock, 2 years in a row! Now that's service!
That sticker is definitely worth it, like you said.

Nice eyes Mike! I'm hoping to get out this weekend.

Thank you...I still got it!! . CGA are all volunteer positions. Will advise you what to do to be compliant/ cant write tickets

Browning Guy
04-10-2015, 05:06 PM
Yeah the run is getting under way and I have seen pics of some real hawgs coming in. I have some friends who also get the Coast Guard sticker each year. It saves the hassles on the river as well as the 3-4 trips they take to Ohio each year. One year they were actually getting ready to launch at a ramp in Ohio and the Coasties were there doing checks in the parking lot, if you wanted it done, get in line.

mikethepike
04-10-2015, 05:07 PM

Sometimes I get parched out there, besides, w/ 7 layers of law enforcement plus super Vegas card counting camera's ..I feel pretty safe.:naughty:

bolonytony24
04-10-2015, 05:22 PM

This is usually another reason I stay on our side of the river.

Edit: Nice fish!..

Pond Scum
04-10-2015, 06:46 PM
The Coast Guard Auxiliary check is a great thing to get! A little bit of time when it is planned and scheduled can save you a lot of time and stress at the most inopportune time. Strangely I had a boat on Lake Michigan for over 20 years and I was only safety checked one time ..... and that was the year I had the CGA sticker! :(

ka64
04-10-2015, 07:18 PM
Nice Pickerel...

mikethepike
04-11-2015, 04:25 AM
Nice Pickerel...

Thank you all for the compliments...eating them is part of the fun as well

Heading out now to look for some more:biggrin:

Squad51 Shooter
04-11-2015, 06:57 PM
Hope you didnt get skunked today Mike. However driving down Jefferson and the amount of boats, trucks, and empty trailers tells me that you probably had another good day. Nice looking fish in the picture. I will probably head out tomorrow or Monday.

mikethepike
04-11-2015, 10:14 PM
It was like "caddy day" at the pool from the movie caddy shack today.....+ a tournament---ugh