PDA

View Full Version : Scope Recommendations for aGrade I Browning 30-06 Auto

costanza
04-20-2015, 03:14 PM
Hey Guys:
I am considering the purchase of a 1969 Browning 30-06 Grade I and was looking for eventual scope recommendations. It is a very nice gun, but has a few marks in the top of the receiver, which would be covered by the scope bases. One Browning I saw had a 2x7 'Browning' scope on it...made, I believe, by Bushnell. Seemed like a nice match to me. One thing...I do not think this gun will make it into the hunting woods with me. It is simply too pretty! Your thoughts on glass?
Thanks in Advance!
costanza

10x25mm
04-22-2015, 06:56 PM
The 'Browning' branded scopes of that era were made by Redfield and were almost identical to the Redfield offerings of that era. A lightly used 4x or 2-7x Redfield would be a good choice, as would vintage Leupold or Burris scopes from the same era. Mostly you see Redfield scopes on the early BARs if they haen't been screwed with. The key is the base and rings. Semiautos tend to vibrate their scopes and mounts loose. Most early BARs I have encountered have Redfield or Buehler turn in style mounts and they seem to have worked well over the years. The aluminum 'see through' mounts don't seem to hold up well on BARs. Owners would replace these mistakes with turn in ring mounts after the 'see through' mounts got loose.

woodstb
01-27-2016, 03:07 PM
I've inherited my uncles BAR Grade II. It's a late 60's vintage Belgium Browning with the original Leupold 3-9 X 40 gloss with see through mount that he installed back in the day. I was thinking of upgrading it, but it's still very clear and shoots very nice. You will never regret buying a Leupold.

hunterspirit
01-27-2016, 03:12 PM
The 'Browning' branded scopes of that era were made by Redfield and were almost identical to the Redfield offerings of that era. A lightly used 4x or 2-7x Redfield would be a good choice, as would vintage Leupold or Burris scopes from the same era. Mostly you see Redfield scopes on the early BARs if they haen't been screwed with. The key is the base and rings. Semiautos tend to vibrate their scopes and mounts loose. Most early BARs I have encountered have Redfield or Buehler turn in style mounts and they seem to have worked well over the years. The aluminum 'see through' mounts don't seem to hold up well on BARs. Owners would replace these mistakes with turn in ring mounts after the 'see through' mounts got loose.
That was my experience as well. I had a 2-7 x 3? Burris scope 1980ish era

mike186
01-27-2016, 03:38 PM
My early BLR has an oval style Redfield on it. I think it has Browning on it. Pretty cool looking old scope.