PDA

View Full Version : what high powered / cheap scope?

Tekkie
04-27-2015, 11:58 AM
I know that cheap / high powered dont go in the same sentence but I am not ready to spend mega bucks on a zeiss or something for target shooting :)

Right now I have a UTG 4-16x44 which was only 125 bucks on amazon, it is actually pretty nice but I want something with more magnification. I am looking at the UTG 8-32x56 which also has good reviews and its $275 or the osprey 10-40x50 which is $350 (sorry I cant post links still ;) )

I am using it on my customized 10-22 and at 100 yards I would like to be able to hit at least 2-3" groups (hopefully 1") and right now because of a little difficulty staying on the target I am more like 4-5" groups. The scope is not exactly the problem for sure because I know that I am a little shaky but at least with the more powerful scope its easier to see that sway to work on correcting it. This was just resting the stock on sand bags so I know that using it with a stand will work better and I plan to do that also. After I will use it on my mosin nagant that I plan on setting up also so I want to be sure that its something that can deal with that type of recoil as the 10-22 has pretty much zero.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to buy ? any opinions would be much appreciated

the $400 mark is probably the most that I want to spend right now.

Roundballer
04-27-2015, 12:37 PM
A higher powered scope is not the answer, actually more of a detriment.

Get thee to an Appleseed! (http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-display.php?qstate=MI&statename=Michigan)

MJssr
04-27-2015, 02:30 PM
your scope is more than enough to see at 100 yards. really all you would need to do is find what match grade ammo your rifle likes and you should be able to get 2-3in groups with out breaking much of a sweat. To get less than 1 in groups, your going to need a whole different setup IMO that will set you back quite a bit.

sbowhuntr
04-27-2015, 05:55 PM
If more power is what you think you need then go for it, Leapers may not be the best but they have fairley good glass and are built like tanks (hence the weight of them).. Are you using a rear rest along with the sand bags on the front? The sandbags are fine but you may be suprised what a bag on the rear will do to help you keep steady, with only a front rest you will still be shaky to a certain point..

crankythunder
04-27-2015, 06:33 PM
Dear Tekkie:

While I want to encourage you to do all the target shooting you can, it sounds like you want to get into rimfire benchrest. While benchrest is not my primary competition, I have been known grab a seat at some of the matches around the state and in neighboring states as well.

First off, get on over to rimfire central, that is a forum site that is dedicated to rimfires and a bunch more information available then here.

Most of the rimfire benchrest competitions are at 50 yards, and to have a competitive rifle it needs to shoot somewhere close to 0.010 inches at 50 yards. That same rifle will struggle to keep its shots within 1 inch at 100 yards. As a matter of fact, at 100 yard benchrest competitions, a competitor that manages to group his shots smaller then 1 inch usually takes home the trophy.

Anyways, as for scopes...........The weaver 24 powers and the weaver 36 power scopes get lots of favorable comments. So does the sightrons although they have different levels of quality in there benchrest scopes.

Also check out the Konus scopes. I have a 12x32x56 and its is a good scope. has a couple nice bells and whistles too, like internal bubble level, red and blue illuminated recticle (I got it primarily for the blue illumination) although I have to admit that it is huge and tends to overwhelm the rifle (kimber 82g) with its size and weight which effects the balance of the rifle.

Of course, non of these scopes will compare with my Leupold 36 power scope (also mounted on a 82g 22lr) . As a matter of fact, a lot of shooters are wondering why they have a spotting scope when they can better see the bullet holes through their leupold.

If I was starting over, I think that I would have two rimfires, my Winchester 52c with 16 power unertl and I would trade all my other rimfires for a Anschutz or Walther with iron sights and interchangeable scopes with a leupold 36 power and a leupold 4x16x40 efr scope. For what it is worth, the Winchester with the 16 power is the most accurate rifle that I own and quite a number of my competitors have made offers to purchase it that would easily fund a new walther or Anschutz.

Sincerely,
Cranky

Michaelk
04-27-2015, 08:29 PM
What ammo are you shooting? If you are using High Velocity ammo you will not get good groups at 100 yds as the bullet will drop below the speed of sound right around 50 yds.

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php?t=b7ba7599

And this will kill any groups beyond that. You want to stay below the speed of sound with 22lr ammo to have any chance of decent groups at longer range.

What kind of groups are you getting at shorter ranges like 50 yds?

Ol` Joe
04-28-2015, 07:04 AM
The suggestion to check out rimfire central was a good one. lots of ideas and information there. I agree with the line of thought you don't need more X's however.
10-22's are not target rifles and 22's are not easy to get to shoot at distances much over 75 yards. Even Annies, Kimbers, and Cooper bolt guns often have trouble hitting the sub MOA mark at 100 yds unless things are just right. Wind, and ammo figure in once you exceed this to a greater degree then most believe. Mirage and scope parallax can figure in too if you are not careful.
I would be very happy to have a factory 10-22 that CONSISTANTLY shot 2" or less at 100 yds. Get a tricked out Kidd or Volquartsen 10-22 and you should, with good ammo the rifle likes, be able to hold around 1" with some practice and a calm day.

Tekkie
04-28-2015, 08:01 AM
Hi all, thanks for the suggestions. I already had a brief look around rimfire but I will do more looking.

I already have a kidd barrel & kidd trigger on it, I didn't fire it at 50 yards but at 25 yards even with cheap 22 ammo I was able to hit 1" targets rapidly hand held with no problem at all. I know that if I want consistency I will have to buy match & high velocity ammo and as you say even then it could be a stretch for such a lower powered bullet.

As far as the more powerful scope as I mentioned I also plan to use it on my mosin nagant, the problem there is again the surplus ammo is not the most consistent. I have to order the archangel stock, bent bolt & a scope mount that doesn't require altering the gun so I can go back to complete stock down the road. I would like something that after i can shoot beyond 100 yards and see how accurate it will be.

MJssr
04-28-2015, 08:39 AM
Hi all, thanks for the suggestions. I already had a brief look around rimfire but I will do more looking.

I already have a kidd barrel & kidd trigger on it, I didn't fire it at 50 yards but at 25 yards even with cheap 22 ammo I was able to hit 1" targets rapidly hand held with no problem at all. I know that if I want consistency I will have to buy match & high velocity ammo and as you say even then it could be a stretch for such a lower powered bullet.

As far as the more powerful scope as I mentioned I also plan to use it on my mosin nagant, the problem there is again the surplus ammo is not the most consistent. I have to order the archangel stock, bent bolt & a scope mount that doesn't require altering the gun so I can go back to complete stock down the road. I would like something that after i can shoot beyond 100 yards and see how accurate it will be.

unless you have a finish mosin or an ex-sniper, expect around a 2in rifle on a really good day with ball ammo out of the mosin.

some people will buy a fixed 20x or 25x for accuracy testing but again that does not suit your utilitarian needs. you have plenty of scope currently to reach 100 with either your .22 or mosin.

I think you we be better off saving that $400 on a scope and investing in a case of qualirty match ammo (once you find what your rifle likes) and practice, practice, practice, and practice.

EricF517
04-28-2015, 09:52 AM
I am running a 2-10 Nikon Mildot on my Savage Mark II TR and have 0 problems with holding 1.5" groups at 100y.

Tekkie
04-28-2015, 10:28 AM
good point on spending the money on the ammo, I think I should start there along with a gun rest. Even if I buy a better scope I will still need those things anyway so maybe after I do this I wont need a better scope.

thanks for the feedback :)

05-04-2015, 07:54 PM
I have several Mueller Scopes http://www.opticsplanet.com/mueller-8-5-25x-44mm-1-inch-ao-tactical-shock-proof-rifle-scope.html

Jeep olllllo
05-11-2015, 08:03 PM
Mueller eraticator.

aaron
05-14-2015, 07:40 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/835407/mueller-target-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-8-32x-44mm-side-focus-target-dot-reticle-matte

flylo
09-12-2015, 06:13 PM
Aim 10-40x56 $79 closeout at SG shipped. I can see 1.5 miles clear as a bell. maybe I got lucky:D