PDA

View Full Version : swfa-ss

Ol` Joe
05-26-2015, 06:29 AM
Anyone have any experience with this scope line? I see they are 50 cal rated which means little to me but, a strong scope with good accurate adjustments at the prices they run is enticing.
Reviews on SWFA's web site are promising.

EricF517
05-26-2015, 08:12 AM
Anyone have any experience with this scope line? I see they are 50 cal rated which means little to me but, a strong scope with good accurate adjustments at the prices they run is enticing.
Reviews on SWFA's web site are promising.

I have fondled one once. I liked the glass, it was a little better than the PST I was using at the time. Adjustments felt really nice as well. I liked the reticule more than my PST mainly because there was no numbering on the sides.

With that in mind I have also looked through a Burris XTR II which my old sheriff put on our work 308. I liked the glass, but seemed to get fuzzy at around 600y and wasn't quite as good as my PST in my opinion. Adjustments were awesome and solid feeling. Did have problems with being consistent with the adjustments, which was annoying and the reason we were going to rip it off, but I left the SO and don't know what they ended up doing.

Now the Bushnell DMR and XRS that I have looked through were FANTASTIC. The glass was superior to the the PST, Burris, and probably eeked out the SS. Adjustments were nice and solid as well. Only issue with me was the locking caps, which would have taken some getting used to and the shear size of the caps. I mean my wife's PST a 2 year old could get their hands on, but the Bushnell seemed like you would have to be at least 12 to get your hand around.

Rootsy
05-26-2015, 10:28 AM
Tons of information on the Super Sniper line at the various optic and sniper forums. The HD versions are supposed to be much improved with regard to optical clarity. Price seems to reflect that. You can find quite a few used ones for sale for reasonable prices.

alxhastngs
05-28-2015, 10:29 PM
I just picked up a SWFA SS 1-4 (the new $400 model) and it favorably compares to the Leupold that it may be replacing. I have only heard anything but good about their other scopes too!

MAG58
06-01-2015, 01:26 AM
I Have the 5-20HD on my 300 WM and I like it. My dad shoots a PST FFP 6-24 and I've played a little with a razr. In my opinion it's a great scope. It's heavier than the PST and has better glass than the PST but not quite as good as the Razor though it's closer between those two than it probably should be given the price difference. The clicks are solid and it holds zero well. The nobs are a little larger which I like too. The only two things it gives up on the Vortex glass are the reticle and the diopter. That said there is nothing wrong with the SWFA SS reticle and it is an excellent low clutter reticle. I just really like the EBR reticles. Also there's nothing wrong with the diopter but I do like the quick adjust vortex puts on their scopes.

SWFA has cs that's probably as good or damn close to vortex and as far as I'm concerned that's as much praise as anyone can give for a company.

Overall I think it's a better optic than the PST and a great value for the money. The only other player in that price point I'd think would be the bushnell 3.5-21. I've never really got to do any work with one of them so I can't really comment on it. Otherwise it's a pretty good sized step in price to get to that next quality of optic and I'm not near good enough to be able to justify one.

Fwiw if you're in the SW feel free to come fondle it

fskjester
08-27-2015, 04:23 PM
I had the 10x42 for a while. Loved it, smooth clear glass and it held Zero. Hard to screw up fixed power.

fskjester
08-27-2015, 04:25 PM
Only thing, I wish I had purchased it in Mrad because that's what everyone where I shoot was using and I am not yet good with all that fun stuff. Still learning. If you have a $1000 get a PST if you have under 500 go with the SWFA SS 10x42 is plenty out to 1000k for shooting steel. (so I'm told)

EricF517
08-27-2015, 05:31 PM
Only thing, I wish I had purchased it in Mrad because that's what everyone where I shoot was using and I am not yet good with all that fun stuff. Still learning. If you have a $1000 get a PST if you have under 500 go with the SWFA SS 10x42 is plenty out to 1000k for shooting steel. (so I'm told)

For 1K you can also look at the Burris XTR II and Bushnell DMR's.

flylo
09-12-2015, 06:06 PM
Best $299 you'll ever spend if you like fixed power like I do. About Thanksgiving they run a sale & inluse rings, caps & a level for $269 or did last year. I have 10x.16x, & 20x, never a problem.