PDA

View Full Version : HB 4653 Allow use of driver license photo on CPL

Tallbear
05-27-2015, 10:53 AM
HB 4653 of 2015 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2015-HB-4653)
Traffic control; driver license; access to driver license photograph of concealed weapons license holders; allow. Amends sec. 307 of 1949 PA 300 (MCL 257.307).
Last Action: 5/26/2015 referred to Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure

luckless
05-27-2015, 02:02 PM
I was told this was already done in SB 34. I wonder what happened.

EricF517
05-27-2015, 06:55 PM
I still haven't figured out why they just don't put "Concealed Pistol License" right on a DL so you only need one card.

zigziggityzoo
05-27-2015, 06:58 PM
I still haven't figured out why they just don't put "Concealed Pistol License" right on a DL so you only need one card.

Most people don't OC. Similarly, most people don't want everyone knowing their business every time they pay by credit card, buy booze or tobacco, and so on.

EricF517
05-27-2015, 09:09 PM
Most people don't OC. Similarly, most people don't want everyone knowing their business every time they pay by credit card, buy booze or tobacco, and so on.

Ok create a box that says CPL

Roundballer
05-27-2015, 09:26 PM
I was told this was already done in SB 34. I wonder what happened.
It was put into SB 34 that the SoS DL picture could be used. This makes it so the the SoS will release the image so that it can be used by the MSP for the CPL.

This bill just adds this usage to what the SoS is authorized to use the information for:

A person's digital photographic image and signature shall be used as follows:
<snip>
(d) By the secretary of state for forwarding to the department of state police as provided in section 5c of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.425c.

They are just crossing i's and dotting t's, as usual.

(4) The secretary of state shall make a digitized photograph taken of the applicant for a driver license or personal identification card available to the department for use under this act. The department shall provide the photograph of the applicant received from the secretary of state to the county clerk who shall use the photograph on the individual's license unless the applicant does not have a digitized photograph on file with the secretary of state. If an applicant does not have a digitized photograph on file with the secretary of state, the applicant shall provide a passport-quality photograph of the applicant as provided under section 5b(1).

That is all that this bill does.

Just note, to have a CPL, you must have State ID or DL.

lethean
05-27-2015, 09:28 PM
I like having separate ID pictures. One picture with a beard, one without, so I'm recognizable regardless of the season.

Roundballer
05-27-2015, 09:31 PM
Ok create a box that says CPL
And then anybody that views the DL will know of the CPL. Just the same as the line that says Lic Type C, End CY, tells everyone what you are licensed for.

I know that I don't want that.

EricF517
05-27-2015, 10:12 PM
And then anybody that views the DL will know of the CPL. Just the same as the line that says Lic Type C, End CY, tells everyone what you are licensed for.

I know that I don't want that.

I would rather start making my wallet thinner.

DrScaryGuy
05-27-2015, 10:54 PM
I'm with roundballer on this one. Every doctor's office I've ever been to has a policy of keeping copies of ID and insurance cards. Given the way medical records are getting entered in to the federal system, and obamacare is trying to push an anti-gun agenda... I can see just going to the Dr's office and showing an ID causing a lot of problems.

zigziggityzoo
05-28-2015, 07:47 AM
If we want to thin wallets, then let's focus efforts on constitutional carry.

EricF517
05-28-2015, 07:54 AM
I'm with roundballer on this one. Every doctor's office I've ever been to has a policy of keeping copies of ID and insurance cards. Given the way medical records are getting entered in to the federal system, and obamacare is trying to push an anti-gun agenda... I can see just going to the Dr's office and showing an ID causing a lot of problems.

What's the difference, you are already in the State database, and I would assume that you bought your pistol correct?

Leader
05-28-2015, 08:33 AM

Or... we could do it the government way and increase taxes so you don't have so much cash.

Roundballer
05-28-2015, 09:34 AM
What's the difference, you are already in the State database, and I would assume that you bought your pistol correct?

Seriously? You can't see the difference?

The State database is protected from the FOIA requests.
Not even LEOs can access it without a good reason.
The law only requires disclosure to LEOs.
The actual card needs to only be displayed upon request of LEOs.
Even though Drs' Offices may question about firearms, they are prohibited from demanding or withholding service. Why volunteer the information?
The Feds (BATFE) is prohibited from maintaining firearm/owner databases, not so with "health records".
There is no need to give information to those that can use it against you, including LEOs.

MichiGUNDer
05-28-2015, 11:19 AM
Seriously? You can't see the difference?

The State database is protected from the FOIA requests.
Not even LEOs can access it without a good reason.
The law only requires disclosure to LEOs.
The actual card needs to only be displayed upon request of LEOs.
Even though Drs' Offices may question about firearms, they are prohibited from demanding or withholding service. Why volunteer the information?
The Feds (BATFE) is prohibited from maintaining firearm/owner databases, not so with "health records".
There is no need to give information to those that can use it against you, including LEOs.

Thank you Roundballer and DrScaryGuy. I have been an advocate of integrating the CPL into the DL but clearly had not thought it through completely; especially tying together the fact that the DL image is a medical record.

#mindchanged

twodogsanme
05-28-2015, 06:32 PM

:yeahthat: You can pass a back ground check you can carry , I see a few more states are coming around , Michigan needs to get on board :usa:

lethean
05-28-2015, 06:37 PM
:yeahthat: You can pass a back ground check you can carry , I see a few more states are coming around , Michigan needs to get on board :usa:
I like the idea of constitutional carry, but wouldn't want the CPL done away with entirely until it wasn't required to be able to carry in other states.

Leader
05-28-2015, 06:44 PM
I like the idea of constitutional carry, but wouldn't want the CPL done away with entirely until it wasn't required to be able to carry in other states.

Then make the price something reasonable like $25 for 5 yrs.

Pepe Scarcella
05-28-2015, 06:56 PM

We have a winner!!!!

SADAacp
05-28-2015, 07:57 PM

If Michigan gets ConCarry, the CPL won't go away as we'll still have 750.234d. e.g. Financial institutions and stores with a liquor license. ConCarry will not eliminate the PFZ's.

lethean
05-28-2015, 08:48 PM
If Michigan gets ConCarry, the CPL won't go away as we'll still have 750.234d. e.g. Financial institutions and stores with a liquor license. ConCarry will not eliminate the PFZ's.
Good point. It probably won't, but it probably should.

xmanhockey7
05-28-2015, 10:49 PM

F that. I don't want anyone looking at my ID to know. Granted I work at a place where I ring in sales transactions. I see blue cards all the time. Some are fairly out in the open. Others are pretty hidden, but I still notice.

oldmann1967
05-31-2015, 12:52 PM
I would rather start making my wallet thinner.

Government is making our wallets thinner already.

MI-1911
05-31-2015, 12:56 PM

+1 I've been saying that for years!

Leader
05-31-2015, 01:07 PM

Because then when a cop sees it he would grab his gun & shoot you.

Self defense, he was afraid you were going to go postal and shoot him because of road rage or something.

Because you didn't have a gun, you didn't inform and the cop didn't KNOW you didn't have a gun but thought you might and might draw and shoot him.

Cops need to know this information because of all the cops being killed in states that don't tell them.

EricF517
05-31-2015, 03:57 PM
Because then when a cop sees it he would grab his gun & shoot you.

Self defense, he was afraid you were going to go postal and shoot him because of road rage or something.

Because you didn't have a gun, you didn't inform and the cop didn't KNOW you didn't have a gun but thought you might and might draw and shoot him.

Cops need to know this information because of all the cops being killed in states that don't tell them.

Not sure who says more stupid **** on here, you or Super.....

Jared1981
05-31-2015, 04:15 PM
The DL/CPL combo is a rediculous idea.

Kansas and Missouri did this in the past but they no longer do so. No jurisdiction in the U.S. does this.

It would be nice if the SOS could print out CPL's that look identical to a DL and mail those out as licenses. That would be better since then they could be carried as a stand alone document instead of being required to carry a secondary ID with a CPL.

Michigan used to put an address on a CPL and you only needed to carry that, but no thanks to MCRGO in 2003, that changed... And more states have been slowly adopting that nonsense.

EricF517
05-31-2015, 04:19 PM
Government is making our wallets thinner already.

And here I thought it was my wife! LOL

teecro
05-31-2015, 05:26 PM

You may see it that way as your LEO and see things from a different perspective.... Myself I don't want what is no one else's business becoming their business.... I already have to carry 4 pieces of ID with me just to walk on board ship one more piece of ID will not break my back to carry....

DrScaryGuy
05-31-2015, 05:44 PM
I guess if it came down to it, I would be perfectly happy with a CPL that also doubles as a driver's license... but I would hate a driver's license that also had CPL info on it. My reasons are all those listed by everybody.
I'd still carry both cards, because anybody that NEEDS to see a CPL would probably also need to see a DL. But not the other way around.

Any way that might happen?

Roundballer
06-01-2015, 12:44 AM
Because ....

Not sure .....

Hook, line, and sinker.....:lolup: :banana:

EricF517
06-01-2015, 09:35 AM
There is need to give information to LEOs, They are just crossing i's and dotting t's

:whistle: isn't it amazing what you can get when you mix up words?!?!?!?

Roundballer
06-01-2015, 10:40 AM
There is no need to give information to LEOs, They are just crossing i's and dotting t's
:whistle: isn't it amazing what you can get when you mix up words?!?!?!?
Doesn't surprise me at all. It is not the first time a cop has twisted what was said and come up with their own interpretation.

Learn about Leaders' writing style, recognize the possibility of sarcasm.
The intentional miss-quote does not lend credibility to character or demonstrated communication skills.
Taking partial phrases from two separate posts, on two unrelated sub-topics, and combining them certainly was not a mistake of "mixing up words". "Willful (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/willful) Misrepresentation (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/misrepresentation)" comes to mind.
Yet, I am sure the there would be a claim of Qualified Immunity (http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Qualified+immunity)" for any inappropriate actions.

wizzi01
06-01-2015, 06:25 PM
Could you imagine the hassle if you drove through Maryland and you dl said cpl on it?

EricF517
06-01-2015, 08:09 PM
Doesn't surprise me at all. It is not the first time a cop has twisted what was said and come up with their own interpretation.

Learn about Leaders' writing style, recognize the possibility of sarcasm.
The intentional miss-quote does not lend credibility to character or demonstrated communication skills.
Taking partial phrases from two separate posts, on two unrelated sub-topics, and combining them certainly was not a mistake of "mixing up words". "Willful (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/willful) Misrepresentation (http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/misrepresentation)" comes to mind.
Yet, I am sure the there would be a claim of Qualified Immunity (http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Qualified+immunity)" for any inappropriate actions.

Why there is a color for that.

Leader
06-01-2015, 08:45 PM

My comment wouldn't be polite.

Roundballer
06-01-2015, 09:12 PM
QFP

This phrase (not a complete sentence) starts with the word "why", are you asking a question?

EricF517
06-01-2015, 11:04 PM
QFP

This phrase (not a complete sentence) starts with the word "why", are you asking a question?

I dont know, you haven't figured it out? You should have if you learned my writing style.

Rod M1
07-19-2015, 06:01 AM

In order to drive company vehicles your employer sometimes requires a copy of your drivers license and insurance. Legal or not no idea but would rather not give them CPL information since every employer I've worked for is a gun free zone!

Roundballer
07-19-2015, 01:11 PM
I agree, it makes more sense
and 6

Amen on thinner.
and 7

MP Miller
07-23-2015, 08:12 AM
Just note, to have a CPL, you must have State ID or DL.

If you are a special case you don't require state ID to have a CPL

I don't have State ID and Have a CPL, but I agree with this bill.

In TN you applied for your CPL at the Same time and place you applied for your DL.

Roundballer
07-23-2015, 10:01 AM
If you are a special case you don't require state ID to have a CPL

We have known for quite a little while now that you were "special". :cheers:

MP Miller
07-23-2015, 12:23 PM
We have known for quite a little while now that you were "special". :cheers:
Only commented because you said "everyone". I could easily see a system revamp that didn't plan for special cases because there are so few of them.

Roundballer
07-23-2015, 02:24 PM
Only commented because you said "everyone". I could easily see a system revamp that didn't plan for special cases because there are so few of them.
I didn't say "everyone", but it was an all inclusive statement.

I was teasing, read it again, but this time pronounce "special" with a lisp.

I need to find that snickers bar and send it back to you. :cheers:

Tallbear
09-22-2015, 06:20 AM
HB 4653 of 2015
Traffic control; driver license; access to driver license photograph of concealed weapons license holders; allow. Amends sec. 307 of 1949 PA 300 (MCL 257.307).
Last Action: 9/21/2015 Analysis File Added

Tallbear
09-30-2015, 10:11 AM
HB 4653 of 2015
Last Action: 9/29/2015 referred to second reading

Tallbear
10-23-2015, 12:20 PM
HB 4653 of 2015
Last Action: 10/22/2015 placed on third reading

Tallbear
10-28-2015, 11:16 AM
HB 4653 of 2015
Last Action: 10/28/2015 transmitted

Tallbear
05-05-2016, 09:30 AM
HB 4653 of 2015
Last Action: 5/4/2016 Analysis File Added

Wyoming
05-05-2016, 12:12 PM
My recent CPL renewal has my D/L photo on it. Not the same photo as on old CPL.
Did I miss something?

PhotoTom
05-05-2016, 12:30 PM
My recent CPL renewal has my D/L photo on it. Not the same photo as on old CPL.
Did I miss something?

It appears to be just a housekeeping thing…the CPL law says the clerks get the image from the SOS (if available)…this says the SOS is to provide it to the MSP for this purpose.

Tallbear
06-02-2016, 09:47 AM
HB 4653 of 2015
Last Action: 5/31/2016 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE

Roundballer
06-02-2016, 01:38 PM
Over a year to add a simple line to fix a mistake in a bill they passed over a year and a half ago.

(d) By the secretary of state for forwarding to the department of state police as provided in section 5c of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.425c.

We have a full time legislature for what reason? They certainly aren't working on things like this.

fr3db3ar
06-02-2016, 02:40 PM
They're too worried about bathrooms to worry about this.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk