PDA

View Full Version : HB 4675, 4676 Pistol database entry

Tallbear
06-03-2015, 11:13 AM
HB 4675 of 2015 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2015-HB-4675)
Weapons; concealed; entering a pistol in the pistol entry database; allow. Amends secs. 2 & 2a of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.422 & 28.422a).
Last Action: 6/2/2015 referred to Committee on Judiciary

HB 4676 of 2015
Criminal procedure; sentencing guidelines; sentencing guidelines; update references. Amends sec. 11b, ch. XVII of 1927 PA 175 (MCL 777.11b).
Last Action: 6/2/2015 referred to Committee on Judiciary

jgillmanjr
06-03-2015, 11:34 AM
Only thing I noticed wrong with 4675 was that there's no specified process for requesting the removal of the information.

Do you call the MSP? Your local cop shop? Do you have to send in a signed letter?

As for 4676, that seems wonky, as it changed MCL references which didn't actually change in 4675. I called Barrett's office about that and waiting to hear back.

luckless
06-03-2015, 12:03 PM
I like the idea of a voluntary registration.

Roundballer
06-03-2015, 12:39 PM
Only thing I noticed wrong with 4675 was that there's no specified process for requesting the removal of the information.

Do you call the MSP? Your local cop shop? Do you have to send in a signed letter?

As for 4676, that seems wonky, as it changed MCL references which didn't actually change in 4675. I called Barrett's office about that and waiting to hear back.
In other places of the laws, the MSP is given the task of developing the procedure and forms for accomplishing certain tasks. The MSP will most likely either "revamp" the RI-044 or come up with a similar form. The RI-044 requires that your signature is notarized, just like on an RI-010.

MSP - RI-044 (http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/ri-044_406611_7.pdf)

Divegeek
06-03-2015, 01:06 PM
Interesting. I wonder if it will be an all or nothing removal. I would like to have all of my records removed, except for my Beretta CX4 that is registered as a pistol so that I can continue to transport it loaded since it was grandfathered under the old "Michigan Pistol" rules.

While I like this proposal, I don't see it making it out of committee.

jmonarch
06-04-2015, 07:51 AM
Interesting. I wonder if it will be an all or nothing removal. I would like to have all of my records removed, except for my Beretta CX4 that is registered as a pistol so that I can continue to transport it loaded since it was grandfathered under the old "Michigan Pistol" rules.

While I like this proposal, I don't see it making it out of committee.

Why not amend the transportation law and get rid of registration all together?

Divegeek
06-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Why not amend the transportation law and get rid of registration all together?
that would be fine. I would be all for that, but until that happens....I have to work with the current rules

Leader
06-10-2015, 12:29 PM
So what happens if a non cpl holder gets a LTP and does NOT register the gun he bought?
Can he then open carry it?

Divegeek
06-10-2015, 12:35 PM
He should still be able to. There is actually not a law that says you can open carry. There is also not a law that says you CAN'T open carry. Therefore since it no law says it's illegal, you can open carry without a CPL any legal gun you own with very few restrictions. (ie. not in cars, bars, schools, places with liquor licenses)

Leader
06-10-2015, 01:00 PM
He should still be able to. There is actually not a law that says you can open carry. There is also not a law that says you CAN'T open carry. Therefore since it no law says it's illegal, you can open carry without a CPL any legal gun you own with very few restrictions. (ie. not in cars, bars, schools, places with liquor licenses)

But without registration how does he prove he had a LTP when he bought the gun?

Divegeek
06-10-2015, 01:12 PM
He doesn't need to. The police need to prove he didn't get one, if they want to take the gun away from him.

ninjatoth
06-10-2015, 08:06 PM
In a perfect world, a LTP carried with you should be as good as a CPL. What else is there with a CPL anyways? 3 hours of grueling training? Sorry, random thoughts but they make sense and I wish the law made as much sense as me. :ukliam2:

jgillmanjr
06-11-2015, 06:50 AM
In a perfect world, a LTP carried with you should be as good as a CPL. What else is there with a CPL anyways? 3 hours of grueling training? Sorry, random thoughts but they make sense and I wish the law made as much sense as me. :ukliam2:

Please, for your own mental health, do not try to apply logic or sense to Michigan's firearms laws. You'll have an aneurysm.

jmonarch
06-11-2015, 06:56 AM

In a perfect world you would not need a LTP or a CPL to carry.