PDA

View Full Version : vanes or feathers for target arrows

ken watson
06-14-2015, 01:39 PM
I have a older compound wheel bow and I pull 30# at 26 1/2'' and would like to know what type carbon arrows to shoot for that bow. So far I think a 27 1/2'' 500 carbon arrow is what I should be shooting according to the easton chart, but should I use 4'' feathers or the short 2'' spinner type vanes on these arrows? thanks

DV8r
06-14-2015, 02:26 PM
This is likely a preference thing and I prefer the 4" feathers. Maybe because that's what I'm used to.

Ruger
06-14-2015, 02:39 PM
I always had good quality feathers available so that's what I'd go with. But today they have the vanes that are one piece that fit over the shaft like a tube and then I think they shrink when heated with a heat gun to adhere to the shaft.
Carbon has come a long way from the days where you only had the choice of 2 manufacturers. I'd see what the manufacturer of that arrow recommends...find out what pro is using that equipment and see what he/she's running for fletching ...

Jackam
06-15-2015, 05:36 PM
The purpose of fletching is to stabilize the arrow in flight so it depends on what tip you are using.
A big broadhead will require more, a field tip - less.

If all you're doing is target practicing with 90 grain field points, use whatever you like the looks of.