PDA

View Full Version : Quality fishing pole recommendations

Eric00
07-13-2015, 06:57 PM
I've never been into fishing until now that I have a son, he's a little guy but we enjoy it! All we currently do is off the docks of lake st clair and use cheap setup with live bait. Looking to get some nice poles, or even fishing lure recommendations (I know that's a tuff question). Next season I plan to on a boat :tapdance:

Musta Demoni
07-14-2015, 12:12 PM
IMO, no reason to spend big bucks on a rod/reel set up. I'm sure there'll a ton of opinions here, but the Ugly Stick rod comes in many sizes/applications. I have a few that I've had for years and don't have any complaints. But my favorite rod was a Berkley Lightning rod. And I'm a fan of spinning reels, personally.

I'd just go to Meijer or something and grab a combo (rod/reel) somewhere in the area of $30. Hard to go wrong nowadays, really.

With regard to lures, that depends on what you're fishing for, but if you're just fishing from the dock, hard to beat just a hook and a worm.

Garbo
07-14-2015, 12:22 PM
I even go as much as to buy the scope poles because they are so much easier to fit in vehicles. I also use ice fishing poles on the boat when i have a few kids on there because its a lot shorter and hence you dont have kids swinging a 6 foot rod across the boat saying take this one off of but another worm on lol. Naturally if you're trolling or going for something bigger that a worm and a bobber doesnt produce you'll want to step it up a tad. But I've caught some 30-36 inch pike and some 5 lb bass on those cheap scope poles and never had one break.

I also suggest open face even for the little ones. I know closed face seem so much easier but kids dont know how to keep tention on them and they tangle much more often and are much more difficult. They pick up on the open face easy enough but,,, dont expect em to learn it on the shore lol. Practice at home or they will throw the entire set up in the water when they release the line.

What I wont go cheap on is the line tho. I'm a spiderwire fan myself but there are a lot of good ones.

JohnJak
07-14-2015, 12:28 PM
I still have and use.

Roundballer
07-14-2015, 02:06 PM
I still have and use.

You may be laughing about that, but it is the sort of thing that gets a kid started.

My brother had a box full of "Popeil pocket fishermen" that he would set his little daughters and their friends up with when he went fishing.

I don't think the Popeil is made any more, but some other company like Ronco probably still makes one.

In my opinion, you don't need to get real spendy on a rod and real to start. You will know what you are looking for by the time you are in the market for a good fly-fishing rod. Start looking in garage sales for old equipment.

hunterspirit
07-14-2015, 04:29 PM
I've never been into fishing until now that I have a son, he's a little guy but we enjoy it! All we currently do is off the docks of lake st clair and use cheap setup with live bait. Looking to get some nice poles, or even fishing lure recommendations (I know that's a tuff question). Next season I plan to on a boat :tapdance:

BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand

.38special
07-14-2015, 04:41 PM
Ugly stick all day every day

mikethepike
07-14-2015, 05:55 PM
Eric00,

Here is all new stuff I wont use. I went high end on all my rods and reels geared toward certain species

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/5074521220/vpdp6

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/5074543255/2xxpg

The brownings are 60.00 rods for 1/2 the price now 30.00...Made in USA, Not China
If you buy a few...i'll do better on the prices and set you guys up with some tackle I don't use as well

Located in Plymouth

BTW, thanks for being a cool Dad and taking your kid fishing. My late Father took me when I was 5 and never looked back. Now I heavily target walleye in the spring and perch / gills in the winter and fish as much as i can just because I enjoy it that much.

I tried sending you a pm....your box is full

hunterspirit
07-14-2015, 05:58 PM
Eric00,

Here is some stuff I wont use as all my rods and reels are all high end specialty fishing rods geared toward certain species.

The brownings are 60.00 rods for 1/2 the price now 30.00...Made in USA, Not China
If you buy a few...i'll do better on the prices and set you guys up with some tackle I don't use as well

Located in Plymouth

BTW, thanks for being a cool Dad and taking your kid fishing. My late Father took me when I was 5 and never looked back. Now I heavily target walleye in the spring and perch / gills in the winter and fish as much as i can just because I enjoy it that much.
If Mike's don't work out let me know. He'll hook (sic) you up

Sasage
07-14-2015, 07:47 PM
Picked up an Ugly Stick GX2 for 39 at Wally World and a Shimano 2500 at gander.

I would spend a little extra and get a decent reel

bolonytony24
07-14-2015, 08:12 PM
when it doubt and just trying it out an Ugly stick is fair enough.
depends on what you are looking to catch and spend. i have been very happy with Gander mtn or Cabela's guide series rods and love the Pflueger presidential series open face reels myself.

Fishman
07-14-2015, 09:08 PM
Berkley "Lightning Rods"....inexpensive, will last you a lifetime. Meijers, Walmart and Bass Pro sell them.

Eric00
07-14-2015, 10:24 PM
I still have and use.

Currently rocking a spongebob one ;) it worked to get him interested!

Eric00
07-14-2015, 10:24 PM
BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand

Lol, that's what I've been hearing

Eric00
07-14-2015, 10:30 PM
Eric00,

Here is all new stuff I wont use. I went high end on all my rods and reels geared toward certain species

Located in Plymouth

I tried sending you a pm....your box is full

Cleared PMs out, thanks for the offer but not to sure when I'd be able to make it out to Plymouth. As far as being a good dad I'm sure doing my best, I'm trying to teach my son a lot of thing no one has taught me. My next goal is to pick up bow hunting so by the time he's bigger I might be able to share that with him!

teecro
07-15-2015, 05:18 AM
I grew up going to our "Fishing Camp" just about every other weekend down in the bayous of LA with my Dad and I recall he saying that when it came down to it not much beat keeping several Zebco 33 Rod & Reels on hand for general use; they didn't cost much were easy to use even by a novice and not a big deal if one got lost or damaged... Fast forward to today and I'm wanting to add a couple poles to our pontoon boat on Norris Lake TN for when the urge should strike and/or the grand kids want something to do. Took a look online and found myself overwhelmed by all the variety out there. In the middle of all that what do I see combo packs of the Zebco 33 complete with little lure packages.... Done deal thank you Dad and www.overtons.com

MSUICEMAN
07-16-2015, 03:35 PM
if you don't want to spend a lot, but still get a decent rod, http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Bionic-Blade-XPS-Spinning-Rod/product/1207130446088/

they aren't bad for the price at all. ugly sticks are great for people that abuse their equipment or for applications where feel isn't necessary. if you are trying to feel a light bite, or feel bottom while jigging, they aren't the best choice (though people still catch fish with them).

I have high dollar stuff for feel applications (walleye rods) and stuff that is hooking me into steelhead,salmon, and muskies (big game reels). other stuff you would be perfectly good with a normal normal priced outfit.

buckpula
07-16-2015, 07:21 PM
If you every head north up 75/23 stop at northwoods best selection at GREAT prices around on most rods/reels/ lures they sell alot of stuff wife/kid friendly too. Do some research just like buying firearms buy once cry once a good quality sets up will last a lifetime. As far as a boat they are fun just picked up a lund

MSUICEMAN
07-16-2015, 07:40 PM
Bass pro also has the shimano sedonas on sale for 39.99 right now.