PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Safety for Son

Fire8702
07-31-2015, 10:16 PM
Does anyone know how difficult is the hunter safety program nowadays? I took it many many years ago. My oldest is shooting trap, bow and 22s. I was thinking it was a good time to get him into a hunter safety class. The problem is he is only 9. He is very mature for his age and has shown good gun handling skills. I was wondering if this is a waste of time until he is older. He does very well in school I just didn't know how well he would do on the final test. Any help would be great!

matt11
07-31-2015, 10:25 PM
My daughtor took it at about the same age. She did part online and then finished in a class run by MGO, my wife took it with her. She did good in the class and still remembers much of what was taught.

Roundballer
07-31-2015, 10:45 PM
It is more about a childs' attention span than anything else. Around 9~10 there is a shift in their abilities and they generally do very well, but is really judged best by someone that knows the child (and is not a partial parent). This is a generally accepted fact, look at how classes are arranged for those through 6th grade, and then how they are arranged for middle school and up. The "recess" time goes away and it is class after class, with only lunch scheduled in.

Magnum Man
08-01-2015, 05:50 PM
If he studies the material and pays attention he should be able to achieve a passing score. We have had many students in that age group get 100%. Sounds like he has a good foundation to build on.

Shyster
08-01-2015, 07:46 PM
My daughter just completed the program today at Carleton Sportsmen's Club. Thursday 6-9p, Friday 6-9p and today was 9-4p. Kids as young as 8 were in the class.

Fire8702
08-01-2015, 08:18 PM
Thanks everyone. I think i will enroll him. I talked it over with my wife who is a teacher. She feels he could handle it just fine. If it doesn't work out then we will try again no big deal.

Kevets
08-02-2015, 06:23 AM
I took my daughter when she was eleven. She was bored for a lot of the class but did pretty well since the safety class is about as difficult as a CPL class; he will pass. The class should be free so no harm done if you have to go again.

Magnum Man
08-02-2015, 08:19 AM
I took my daughter when she was eleven. She was bored for a lot of the class but did pretty well since the safety class is about as difficult as a CPL class; he will pass. The class should be free so no harm done if you have to go again.
Class fee can be no higher than $10.00. We had a local organization step forward to pay all fees so the class was free. However, approximately half of the students were no shows. In the future we will require fees be paid up front and if class is sponsored those that show up will have their money returned.

Roundballer
08-02-2015, 09:41 AM
The class should be free so no harm done if you have to go again.
Not true.

You may be able to find one that is totally free, but building facilities, heat, lights, ammunition, etc. cost money and they are allowed to charge up to $10 for the course. Many do it for less, but not many do it for free.

What to Expect-Time commitment -- 2/3 days or 10-13 hours
-Class fee up to $10 to cover field supplies (online courses involve an additional fee)
-Field day required -- schedule in advance to make sure you get a spot
-Classes taught by volunteers. Learn more about becoming a volunteer instructor

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10363_39267---,00.html

langenc
08-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Wait a year or two. Retention will be much better. Ask the teacher.

Fire8702
08-05-2015, 10:36 PM
I talked it over with the teacher (aka my wife). She felt he would be fine. I'm not worried about his retention, I don't think it will be a problem. He is a smart one! He left his 2nd grade class when they did reading and math and went to the 5th grade class to do their reading and math. He definitely gets his book smarts from his momma! :lol: I got him signed up and we begin in a couple weeks. He is excited. I told him, if for some reason he does not pass we will do it again next year, no big deal and not to stress out about getting a 100%. We will see how it goes. Thanks everyone for the help!

Magnum Man
08-06-2015, 10:59 AM
I talked it over with the teacher (aka my wife). She felt he would be fine. I'm not worried about his retention, I don't think it will be a problem. He is a smart one! He left his 2nd grade class when they did reading and math and went to the 5th grade class to do their reading and math. He definitely gets his book smarts from his momma! :lol: I got him signed up and we begin in a couple weeks. He is excited. I told him, if for some reason he does not pass we will do it again next year, no big deal and not to stress out about getting a 100%. We will see how it goes. Thanks everyone for the help!

80% or better is passing.

Fire8702
08-23-2015, 04:08 PM
Well we went to class Thurs, Fre, and and Sat. He passed with flying colors! He is pumped up to say the least. Everywhere we have gone since yesterday he had to show them his card. I'm looking forward to spending some time in the woods!

Magnum Man
08-24-2015, 09:03 PM
Well we went to class Thurs, Fre, and and Sat. He passed with flying colors! He is pumped up to say the least. Everywhere we have gone since yesterday he had to show them his card. I'm looking forward to spending some time in the woods!

Conratulations! Hope you and your son have some great times hunting and creating memories.

sva01
08-25-2015, 06:32 AM

Where did you do the course? My sons are around the same age and I need to get this done...

mikeb32
08-25-2015, 08:05 AM
ConGrats to your Son!!

Fire8702
08-25-2015, 09:37 PM
Where did you do the course? My sons are around the same age and I need to get this done...

We took it in Holland at the Graafschap Fire Dept. it was sponsored by Graafschap Hardware so there was no cost. We made sure to stop by and thank them. I'm not sure when the next one is coming up. Go to the DNR web site and there is a link to all upcoming classes.