PDA

View Full Version : Basic toolset?

johnzilla
12-05-2008, 06:11 PM
I'm at the point where I'd like to start doing slightly more difficult projects on a couple of my lower end, lower cost guns just to get the experience.

I've done really simple stuff like swap out stocks but that was just using a regular screwdriver. In the next year, probably the most advanced thing I will be doing is building an AR from scratch and then maybe start working on some older milsurp stuff. I realize that's probably easy to most people, but for me they will be big jobs until I do it once or twice.

I see "gunsmithing tool kits" for sale at MidwayUSA, Brownell's, etc but don't know if they're any good or overkill. I don't want Chinese junk, but I don't want to be dropping hundreds of dollars for weekend warrior type jobs either. I'm not looking to be a gunsmith by trade, either and have no problem paying for an expert when an expert is required. I'd just like to know more about my guns than just shooting them.

What's a good starter list of tools to have that would cover intermediate and maybe advanced intermediate projects? I guess a set of punches, maybe a nylon mallet, some blocks and holders like Brownell's sells, maybe more?

I already have a sturdy bench, a decent vise, and all the various hand and power tools an experienced home improvement DIY'er would have (all good quality). I consider myself very handy...I can do any household job that doesn't require a license and have done just about everything to cars and trucks except rebuild an engine and trans.

Opinions, suggestions appreciated!

criminalhate
12-06-2008, 12:51 AM
To start off I am not a gunsmith so take everything I say as a grain of salt.

-Good set of screwdrivers (Craftsman, Stanley, etc should be good enough)
-Precision screwdrivers (In my opinion go Craftsman so when you you break off a tip using it as a pry bar you can get a new one)
-Rawhide/ Rubber / Nylon / Dead blow Mallet couple different sizes of each or at least a few different sizes of one kind
-Set of steel and/or brass Punches (mostly the smaller sized ones)
-Needle Files (go cheap on theses. You can get them for about $4 a set from harbor freight so buy a couple of them and throw them out when they start getting dull)
-Drill Bits (get the best you can afford in both SAE and Metric)
-Taps and Dies ( only buy them when you actually need them most sets will have more taps or dies then you will probably use)
-Drill press vise
-Some thing I want but haven't bought yet is a rifle vise/clamp they look like they would do an awesome job but I get buy with a few hand towels in the jaws of a vise
-Allen wrenches both metric and SAE
-T-handle aleen wrenches
-set of torx bits
- good set of sockets (you can usually get by with just a set of 1/4" set)
-Hack saw
-Dremel

and probably a whole bunch of other things you will end up needing that I can't think about. My opinion of buying tools is either go all out and buy a kit that has about 2 times the amount of tools you won't use that cost way too much. Or buy as you go, get the right tool for the job your working on but only buy them when you actually need them.

Mike in Michigan
12-06-2008, 09:41 AM
I am a professional gunsmith, and I also spent over 40 years working on machinery and vehicles of all kinds.
Buy the best screwdrivers for everyday gunsmith work. I like the Brownells or any other name brand GUNSMITH specific drivers. You also need to learn how to correctly grind their tips to precisely fit the screw slots. For the times when a standard tip will not work,I have hundreds of "regular" screwdrivers that have been ground to fit that odd sized slot. I Buy them cheap at garage sales, use once, and regrind when necessary. Also buy the best files and take care of them. Files tossed in a pile will quickly ruin each other as they chip away at each other everytime they bump.
Mike

musashi
12-06-2008, 11:07 AM
In addition to what mike said...

A good vise and a stable platform for it.

torque wrenches. Nothing worse than over torquing the rings around a nightforce, leupold, or US optics tube and screwing it up.

Dedpoet
12-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Grace gunsmith screwdrivers are fantastic:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=161370

criminalhate
12-09-2008, 01:16 AM
You also need to learn how to correctly grind their tips to precisely fit the screw slots.

I grind all kinds of other things to fit things and I have never even thought to do this. Thank You for an awesome idea.

dhrith
12-09-2008, 11:17 PM
For gods sake don't use common wedge tipped screwdrivers on firearms. Seen more screws bubba'd up than I can count by this.

Done Deal
12-30-2008, 02:05 PM
For gods sake don't use common wedge tipped screwdrivers on firearms. Seen more screws bubba'd up than I can count by this.

Thanks for the reminder....one of these days I have to get a new screw for my S&W Mod 66. Apparently, years ago...I used the wrong tool to remove the screw that holds the cylinder in.

I have to start getting a seperate set of tools together for just working on guns so I can find them when I need them.

Is there a basic tool kit available anywhere that would meet the needs of an AR build?

RifleGuy
12-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Is there a basic tool kit available anywhere that would meet the needs of an AR build?
Brownells.com

AR-15 tool kit (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=23880&title=TOOL%20KITS%20FOR%20AR-15/M16/M4)

Done Deal
12-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Brownells.com

AR-15 tool kit (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=23880&title=TOOL%20KITS%20FOR%20AR-15/M16/M4)

YIKES!!!!! That puppy costs more than an entire gun and....is way out of my league financially. Looks like I will have to get a list together and start assembling my own.

Now then....is there a specific list out there for AR's????