PDA

View Full Version : Land Navigation and Orienteering *Oct 24

cw8541
09-03-2015, 09:56 AM
Date: October 24, 2015
Class starts at 1000 ends approx. 2 hours after dark.
Field Skills 3 - Land Navigation and Orienteering
Lake City, Michigan at MTC
One day class - Fee $120-150
Instructors: Guy H. & Kevin L.
Register here: www.marksmanshiptrainingcenter.com/Store/Training/FieldSkills_L3.html

Course Overview
This course covers in depth orienteering skills with both classroom and in the field practical application exercises of map reading, pace count, dead reckoning, locating natural and manmade features, as well as following a plotted course during the day and night with advanced skills of reverse azimuths, intersections and resections. As a professional rifleman, avid hunter, outdoorsman, or recreational shooter, this course will give you another tool in your tool box and will improve your sense of situational awareness in everyday life.

Minimum Skills required:
• Physically capable to walk long distance over uneven terrain.

Course Subjects:
• Compass nomenclature and Pace count familiarization
• Map reading and orientation
• Terrain association
• Grid plotting
• STRTEGIC ROUTE PLANNING
• Use of pace counts
• Military Grid vs. Lat Long
• Land Nav uses for creating precise range cards
• NAVIGATION AT NIGHT TECHNIQUES

Required equipment:
• Note taking gear (fine point pencil and notepad)
• Quality lensatic type compass (military version, Silva, Burton, Suunto, or equivalent)
• Military style map protractor
• Light weight, bright colored, clothing suitable for indoor/outdoor training
o Boonie hat & hiking shoes recommended
• Bug repellant & Sun screen
• Snacks and beverages

Recommended Equipment:
• Light backpack.
• Camelback or water carrier.
• Non-Permanent fine point map pens
• Flashlight, red lens preferred
• Pace count beads / Laser Range Finder

Class Date Oct 24, 2015

cw8541
09-05-2015, 03:16 PM
For those who love orienteering and are brave enough; nest Spring MTC is hosting a 5K "Wolverine" RUN & GUN tactical adventure race. Details here:

Www.marksmanshiptrainingcenter.com/Store/Events/RunAndGun.html

cw8541
09-19-2015, 09:34 AM
After Action Report (from past class)

“Thanks again for an awesome course! Easily in my Top 5 list of tactical/self-reliance classes I've attended in the past 12 years. Bob C missed out on some fantastic fall weather. Great workout--I'm feeling muscles (or something) that I haven't worked in a long time. The nighttime dead reckoning exercise through the logged field was a bit treacherous but I don't know how else to make it safer yet challenging. Hector & I both felt providing 2-way radios was a responsible and much appreciated safety precaution. Looking forward to continued membership and support of MTC! Highest regards, A.D from Warren MI”

“Just a quick note to say thanks again for an awesome class on Saturday. [My partner] and I had a great time, learned a lot, and really appreciate having training opportunities like this. You and Guy both did a top notch job of teaching the class. Feeding us a small dose of information, and then turning us loose to go practice and apply it, is a solid training approach. Helps students make sense of and digest new material. For my learning style, I can see and hear something, but don't really grasp it until I've actually done it. We've already started acquiring topo maps of our hunting grounds and surrounding areas, and talking about plotting some new routes that will get us into more remote areas. Looking forward to using all the knowledge and skills we picked up in class on Saturday.
Thanks again for everything!
Respectfully, M.L. from Pinckeny MI.”

cw8541
09-27-2015, 11:25 PM
If you need a compass or a map protractor for the Orienteering Class at MTC on 24 October, we have some available. Please order at least 2 weeks prior to ensure we have one available for you.

www.marksmanshiptrainingcenter.com/Store/gearlocker.html