PDA

View Full Version : looking for advice on a special problem optics purchase

dino1197
09-12-2015, 06:38 PM
Hello, I own 10-12 AR platform rifles including several NFA select fires as well as Suppressors. I have recently purchased a new Rhino 7.5 inch SBR with a collapsible stock. The total length of the weapon system with stock collapsed in 15 inches, its short and comes with a custom book bag back pack. I was asked what optic I would be running on it so the enclosure is set when it is delivered after NFA wait. I have an Eotech 512, Votrex strikefire, and Aimpoint optics but they are all the medium size optics. Due to the length of this rifle the optic will be mounted on the top rail near the barrel end of the picatinny rail system. I have never been a fan of just the micro T-1 optics or similar. I like something a little bit more rugged. I could be wrong on the T-1 as well as I have never used one. I am looking for some advice and ideas on something smaller than a Eotech 512 and strikeforce but perhaps bigger and or more rugged than the the little glass window only optics. Any advice is appreciated as the this weapon will be used when I deploy to southeast Asia with a private company doing some protection work. If it is not real clear the weapon system is about the size of a H&K PDW and will be suppressed as well on some occasions. Thanks in advance for any advice.

no im not squinting
09-12-2015, 07:09 PM
Trijicon MRO. Haven't tried one as they are brand new. Looks promising although it's periscope looking. I love my Aimpoint Micros though, maybe you should try one before you write them off. FWIW the Aimpoint Micros are really really tough.

Here's a review:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/680123_Trijicon_MRO____Full_Review_now_posted___.h tml

Rara
09-19-2015, 11:55 AM
I'm a little late to the party here, but I think you've got the wrong impression of the Aimpoint T-1. They are absolutely as rugged as they come. The T-1 is now THE standard by which all other "micro" sized optics are judged for durability (and historically significantly more reliable than any of the Eotechs).

Anyway, you really only have two reasonable choices in that market. The T-1 (or T-2 now that its out) and the new Trijicon MRO. The MRO looks to be a nicer package, and of course its nice to support a local company, but there just hasn't been enough time yet to get a good feel for its long term reliability. I will say all reports to this point have been exceptionally positive for it.

HK91a3
09-23-2015, 01:03 AM
Probably a dumb question from me, but why do you think you need an optic on this weapon?

/ Buy more ammo instead.

chosos
11-04-2015, 11:46 AM
I would opt for the T1 over the MRO. The MRO is a new design and until its been out for a while, I'm not sure I'd buy one. Granted, you sound like you have other backup weapons, so maybe testing out the MRO isn't an issue.

FWIW, the T1 is proven. Just because something has the Trijicon name on it doesn't make it amazing. The Trijicon SRS was kind of a turd that was poorly designed and had operational flaws that had to be corrected. I would never buy another. I did not question whether it was a quality device, or if it was bomb proof, because I trust that it was - but from a usability perspective - it sucked. The T1 is a pretty solid device, and Rara is right - everyone else compares to the T1, because it is the standard.

You could also go with a Trijicon RMR, too... but again, it is a tiny little glass optic.

csbonek
11-04-2015, 06:20 PM
My buddy runs the MRO on his SBR Scar and it has been nothing short of great for him. He has put it through several courses and had NO issues whatsoever. Just from the little bit I have shot his rifle I would easily consider it the front runner next time I am looking at optics. Let us know what you decide though!

rjrivero
11-06-2015, 03:22 PM
More rugged than a T1? I don't think it exists.

balrog006
11-07-2015, 08:34 AM
I love my Aimpoint Micros though, maybe you should try one before you write them off. FWIW the Aimpoint Micros are really really tough.

Here's a review:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_18/680123_Trijicon_MRO____Full_Review_now_posted___.h tml

This 2x, Aimpoints are realllllllyyyyyy tough and tough to beat.

Shyster
11-07-2015, 09:17 AM
Botach has the MRO bundled with an ADM QD mount for $493.00 I have one arriving Monday for my 300 BLK SBR build.

chosos
11-07-2015, 11:08 PM
If botach has it for that price, swfa should 110% price match it.

michpatriot
11-27-2015, 12:01 PM
I'm thinkin that the Trijicon micro Acog TA44 fits the bill here...a tiny simple 1.5 magnification optic...very quick on target and excellent out to 2-300yds on steel. I could be biased tho I own one and think they work great, eye relief out to the end of the stock and no batteries.