PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the Lansing area willing to help track and clean?

somebody
09-30-2015, 07:28 AM
So, I'm heading out this season on public land in Mid-MI for the first time. A buddy of mine is going to be on property up north several weekends, meaning if I get a deer down here, I'm on my own to track it, clean it, and pack it out of the woods. Worst case scenario, I can make do, but if any of you guys around Mid-MI would be willing to help out, I'd be stoked to have somebody I could shoot a text to who would be willing to come help me get the deer out and cleaned and ready for processing. Compensation would be in the form of any combination of craft beer and/or venison from the deer. I don't have quite enough freezer space to fit a whole deer anyway, so I'm glad to give pounds of venison to anybody who would come help me out.

Just trying to have my bases covered so that I'm not scrambling to get all the logistics figured out after I take my shot, you know?

SteveS
10-01-2015, 06:25 AM
I can help, depending on what my schedule is like. Good luck and let me know.

somebody
10-01-2015, 08:46 AM
Thanks, Steve! I appreciate it. I've got my fingers crossed. If I end up getting a deer while I'm out solo, I'll shoot you a text sooner rather than later so we'll have some time to get coordinated if you are available.

tenthumbs
10-01-2015, 09:04 AM
Be careful, He may send his para legal and bill you by the full hour! :razz:

Just kidding Steve! That is a nice offer. :thumbup:

buckcz
10-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Somebody,

I highly recommend buying a laminated field guide on field dressing deer.
http://www.amazon.com/Field-Dressing-Pocket-Guide-Complete-Hunter/dp/0865734720
I used this plus watch a video a few times from youtube. It really helped me out. I still need this even though the first time I did it someone showed me how. I carry this guide with me every deer season because field dressing you deer properly can really effect how the meat tastes.

somebody
10-01-2015, 10:50 AM
Somebody,

I highly recommend buying a laminated field guide on field dressing deer.
http://www.amazon.com/Field-Dressing-Pocket-Guide-Complete-Hunter/dp/0865734720
I used this plus watch a video a few times from youtube. It really helped me out. I still need this even though the first time I did it someone showed me how. I carry this guide with me every deer season because field dressing you deer properly can really effect how the meat tastes.

That's a great looking pocket guide! Last year I watched a friend clean three does, and I've watched about a dozen videos over the past couple weeks. I feel pretty confident that I can get a deer cleaned without messing anything up too badly on my own if I need to, but a second set of eyes- especially experienced eyes and especially for tracking- and a second set of hands when it comes to packing out gear never hurt.

Ruger
10-01-2015, 10:57 AM
That's a great looking pocket guide! Last year I watched a friend clean three does, and I've watched about a dozen videos over the past couple weeks. I feel pretty confident that I can get a deer cleaned without messing anything up too badly on my own if I need to, but a second set of eyes- especially experienced eyes and especially for tracking- and a second set of hands when it comes to packing out gear never hurt.

Like riding a bike, once you've dressed out a deer you'll never forget how to do it. That field guide is great and will serve you well. If I were closer to your area I'd help you in a heartbeat. Good luck to you!

Musta Demoni
10-01-2015, 12:45 PM
Like riding a bike, once you've dressed out a deer you'll never forget how to do it. That field guide is great and will serve you well. If I were closer to your area I'd help you in a heartbeat. Good luck to you!

I've done 3 myself, but I didn't get any deer last year, so I'm no longer confident that I could do it all 100% unsupervised. Glad I clicked into this thread. Thanks to buckcz for the link. I'll be ordering my field guide soon.

buckcz
10-01-2015, 01:11 PM
I've done 3 myself, but I didn't get any deer last year, so I'm no longer confident that I could do it all 100% unsupervised. Glad I clicked into this thread. Thanks to buckcz for the link. I'll be ordering my field guide soon.

You can buy these guides locally too. I know Gander Mountain carries them. That is where I bought mine.

SteveS
10-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Be careful, He may send his para legal and bill you by the full hour! :razz:

Just kidding Steve! That is a nice offer. :thumbup:

LOL.

I will say that other people watching me field dress animals have commented that it was good I became a lawyer and not a surgeon.

bkglad
10-01-2015, 03:00 PM
LOL.

I will say that other people watching me field dress animals have commented that it was good I became a lawyer and not a surgeon.

my cousin does it with such precision with no blood on him what's so ever. Myself, on the other hand, looks like I hacked a live deer with a blunt butcher knife.

Besides the blood all over me, the constant gagging, and the time I get the job done lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruger
10-01-2015, 06:42 PM

My biggest concern when field dressing was always "Cut the deer and not your fingers off"!

Sledhead
10-01-2015, 07:30 PM
I prefer to take them home and hang it before I doing any dressing. It's only a couple miles and I want to make sure the dress fits...

DV8r
10-01-2015, 08:19 PM
My first deer hunt was in 1962 here are a couple of mementos of that not so successful year, but proof that I was prepared. BTW, I wasn't even a teenager yet.
This was in a booklet from 1959 that I ran across while cleaning out an old desk in the basement.
The link is a pamphlet from that year on how to dress your deer. Almost humorous, but sorta relevant yet. Download the Pamphlet in pdf (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41065976/MI_Whitetails_B.pdf)

I'd be willing to scan the whole booklet of 80 pages if anyone was interested in seeing it.

cmr19xx
10-02-2015, 05:20 AM
Best thing I've found for getting a deer out of the woods after dressing is an old plastic sled. Just have to plot your course around dead falls and such.

somebody
10-02-2015, 07:15 AM
Best thing I've found for getting a deer out of the woods after dressing is an old plastic sled. Just have to plot your course around dead falls and such.

That's actually a brilliant idea. It might even be worth buying a new plastic sled seeing as I don't own one. I was planning on just dragging/carrying the deer out if I was alone or carrying it with somebody else if I had help.

scatter
10-03-2015, 07:22 AM
What area are you going to be in? I'm practically neighbors with SteveS. The Dansville State Game area is basically in my back yard.
A sled is a great idea. I've used them myself. Back when I used to have buck fever.
Now, I just buy beef.

Leader
10-03-2015, 07:23 AM
That's actually a brilliant idea. It might even be worth buying a new plastic sled seeing as I don't own one. I was planning on just dragging/carrying the deer out if I was alone or carrying it with somebody else if I had help.

Somehow walking through the woods during deer season with a deer on my shoulders doesn't sound too appealing to me.

matt11
10-03-2015, 09:16 AM
Somehow walking through the woods during deer season with a deer on my shoulders doesn't sound too appealing to me.

In about 40 years of hunting I have to say I never saw that happen.

Years ago I got kids to drag the deer for me, now have a four wheeler since the kids are not available to much.

dramey82
10-03-2015, 09:25 AM

I've used those cheap blue tarps, rolls up for easy transport, they work pretty well.

mac3982
10-03-2015, 10:15 AM
what area, i hunt mason and brooklyn, if im in the area ill help and depending on how far, i have an atv and trailer that could be used.

sadaddy
10-03-2015, 10:49 AM
If you're in the rose lake state game area, it's right around the corner from me. Shoot me a pm for contact info, I'd be glad to help if I'm available when the time comes.

Roundballer
10-03-2015, 02:04 PM
I've used those cheap blue tarps, rolls up for easy transport, they work pretty well.
I was going to suggest that, they work well.

And add a "drag harness" that can be had for/from $6 to $50 and it is a much easier job.

http://www.exploreproducts.com/media/allen-standard-deer-drag-3320-lg.jpg

Armed Fitter
10-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Because I like ya guys, and I just want everyone to be as professional and cool like me, here are two must have for whitetails.
http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Edge-Swingblaze-SZ-20N-SwingBlade/dp/B001E8G4NE

http://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Specialties-Butt-Game-Dressing/dp/B002ECKYSA

along with a good piece of rope. good to go!

mac3982
10-03-2015, 04:58 PM
i use the rope drag but its tied to an old school h-harness, and keep the buttout in my backpackfield kit.

jeffy
10-03-2015, 05:51 PM
You will be ok, I just did two thurs alone in about two hours, just slide a sturdy stick thru slices in wrists or ankles along the bone to get it out.Good shots make finding them way easy to find. Your biggest issue will be keeping them damn flies off it. Good luck.

somebody
10-04-2015, 02:13 PM
Well, I saw a doe yesterday morning, but she didn't get quite close enough. I might have to brush my blind in better. Pretty sure I got spotted. Hopefully next Saturday will be better! I'm just stoked to have seen something.

I've got a tarp already, which ought to help keep dirt off it. Adding a rope sounds like a real good idea.

what area, i hunt mason and brooklyn, if im in the area ill help and depending on how far, i have an atv and trailer that could be used.

I'm out in Dansville, so not too far. In too far through thick stuff for an ATV, unfortunately, but it's only 1/4 mile from where I'm parking. I'll shoot you a PM.

If you're in the rose lake state game area, it's right around the corner from me. Shoot me a pm for contact info, I'd be glad to help if I'm available when the time comes.

I had heard that Rose Lake was super packed with hunters, so I scouted and went down to Dansville instead. If Rose Lake is more packed that Dansville, I don't know how anybody ever sees anything but people! Five trucks parked by mine when I packed my stuff out yesterday. I'm shocked nobody walked down the trail by my blind all morning.

Leader
10-04-2015, 02:26 PM
Well, I saw a doe yesterday morning, but she didn't get quite close enough. I might have to brush my blind in better. Pretty sure I got spotted. Hopefully next Saturday will be better! I'm just stoked to have seen something.

I've got a tarp already, which ought to help keep dirt off it. Adding a rope sounds like a real good idea.

I'm out in Dansville, so not too far. In too far through thick stuff for an ATV, unfortunately, but it's only 1/4 mile from where I'm parking. I'll shoot you a PM.

I had heard that Rose Lake was super packed with hunters, so I scouted and went down to Dansville instead. If Rose Lake is more packed that Dansville, I don't know how anybody ever sees anything but people! Five trucks parked by mine when I packed my stuff out yesterday. I'm shocked nobody walked down the trail by my blind all morning.

I've seen deer following along a trail behind hunters walking and seen tracks in my tracks from when I went in while I was coming out.
I never get upset when someone walks close to me while hunting.
The deer KNOW where that walker is & don't pay attention to whats behind him.

langenc
10-04-2015, 09:02 PM
Get a short roll of bathroom tissue for tracking. Place one sheet now and then as you track. You can occasionally look back and see what general direction the deer is headed.

Some stick an arrow by the last blood. Then sooner or later you have to retrieve your dull arrows. Coleman lantern w/ reflector and handle is good for light as it light up so much more than a flashlight beam. I suspect the new LEDs are much better for tracking than the old incandescent.

EricF517
10-09-2015, 08:01 AM
my cousin does it with such precision with no blood on him what's so ever. Myself, on the other hand, looks like I hacked a live deer with a blunt butcher knife.

Besides the blood all over me, the constant gagging, and the time I get the job done lol

Oh I have a buddy like you. I have a strong stomach, but the one time I watched him gut a deer I was ready to puke. It was like watching something from a zombie movie (without the eating). If I have blood more that on my fingers when I do it I screwed up.

bkglad
10-09-2015, 08:35 AM
Oh I have a buddy like you. I have a strong stomach, but the one time I watched him gut a deer I was ready to puke. It was like watching something from a zombie movie (without the eating). If I have blood more that on my fingers when I do it I screwed up.

I am the laughing stock of deer camp, family, and it looks like mgo. However, i don't care it's a good conversation piece I guess

JP_argie
10-09-2015, 08:29 PM
Hello I live in Holt and hunt Dansville SGA with my daughter. I am also a home brewer :^)

If I am available I would be happy to help with the gutting. I can even show you how to process it at home. We already got two deer this season (youth and bow) and we already processed them at home. I am smoking the summer sausage tomorrow LOL.

No need to compensate in any way, camaraderie is enough :^)

Cheers and happy hunting.

somebody
10-11-2015, 11:21 AM
Hello I live in Holt and hunt Dansville SGA with my daughter. I am also a home brewer :^)

If I am available I would be happy to help with the gutting. I can even show you how to process it at home. We already got two deer this season (youth and bow) and we already processed them at home. I am smoking the summer sausage tomorrow LOL.

No need to compensate in any way, camaraderie is enough :^)

Cheers and happy hunting.

Man, you've had better luck out there than me! I was out all day yesterday where I saw a doe last weekend and didn't see or hear a thing aside from a lot of squirrels and birds. Still got a few weeks to go, though. Fingers crossed I'll be in need of some assistance next weekend!

JP_argie
10-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Man, you've had better luck out there than me! I was out all day yesterday where I saw a doe last weekend and didn't see or hear a thing aside from a lot of squirrels and birds. Still got a few weeks to go, though. Fingers crossed I'll be in need of some assistance next weekend!

That would be a "nice problem" to have :^)

Happy hunting and count me in
Cheers!