PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on optics for PDWs

Shyster
10-04-2015, 12:07 PM
I am waiting on a couple of Form 1s at present and am trying to figure out what I want to do with optics. Both are AR platform with collapsible PDW stocks. One is a 10.5" 300 BLK and the other is an integrally suppressed 9mm upper with 12" OAL barrel+suppressor.

What should I put on top of these? I'm leaning towards Aimpoint Micro T-2s but am open to suggestions. Also, what height should I go? Both are tiny flat-tops and I'm leaning towards Larue low-mounts but will it be too low?

Mr. Twister
10-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Aimpoint Micro is the perfect way to go, they're light in weight, small, and tough as nails!

Shyster
10-05-2015, 05:25 PM
Aimpoint Micro is the perfect way to go, they're light in weight, small, and tough as nails!

What height mount?

Coctailer
10-05-2015, 05:42 PM
What height mount?

Whatever height the Larue LT660 is.:biggrin:

Mr. Twister
10-07-2015, 02:03 AM
I go with absolute cowitness using an American Defense Mount but you can go with the Lower 1/3 cowitness which will be the tall mount for the Aimpoint.

mitommy
10-07-2015, 03:00 AM
I ran the Aimpoint T2 on a true co-witness mount. The iron sights were flip ups, so they were never in view. The Aimpoint was so reliable I never used the irons. The only reason I changed the set-up was to switch to a 1 - 4 scope.

sittingbull
10-07-2015, 05:14 AM
Larue lt-751 is the mount you are looking for
It is a low absolute co-witness. I ran one for a little while but sold it

Rara
10-07-2015, 03:17 PM
I run a T-1 in an LT-660 mount. I think you will be uncomfortable running a low mount on an AR stock, you really have to scrunch your neck up to get down to it. The low mounts are intended for guns like AKs, and HKs etc where the stock drops lower than the line of the barrel axis. I prefer to bring the sight up to my eyes, rather than scrunch down onto it. Its a lot easier to be consistent that way, not to mention comfort level when shooting through an all day carbine course.

The easy answer is a T-1 or T-2 in a Larue LT-660 mount (tall, "lower 1/3 co-witness"). Or if you prefer to drop it a bit for absolute co-witness, the LT-751 mount.

Now that the Trijicon MRO is in the wild, I would give it a serious consideration also. It really is the only true competitor now to the T-1/T-2 line in all aspects. NOt sure the mount options, but the same height comments apply.

I'm not far away, and you're welcome to give my T-1 a try if you would like.

Shyster
10-07-2015, 03:37 PM
I run a T-1 in an LT-660 mount. I think you will be uncomfortable running a low mount on an AR stock, you really have to scrunch your neck up to get down to it. The low mounts are intended for guns like AKs, and HKs etc where the stock drops lower than the line of the barrel axis. I prefer to bring the sight up to my eyes, rather than scrunch down onto it. Its a lot easier to be consistent that way, not to mention comfort level when shooting through an all day carbine course.

The easy answer is a T-1 or T-2 in a Larue LT-660 mount (tall, "lower 1/3 co-witness"). Or if you prefer to drop it a bit for absolute co-witness, the LT-751 mount.

Now that the Trijicon MRO is in the wild, I would give it a serious consideration also. It really is the only true competitor now to the T-1/T-2 line in all aspects. NOt sure the mount options, but the same height comments apply.

I'm not far away, and you're welcome to give my T-1 a try if you would like.
Thank you I might do that after my toy gets out of NFA jail. Two stamps ugh.

Rara
10-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I still need to come see you again about a trust (we discussed it at one point awhile back) so I can get some cans of my own started on the process.

And, fwiw, an AR stock is an AR stock... you can try the optics out on any AR, the barrel length won't change anything.

EricF517
10-09-2015, 02:31 PM
I wouldn't even mess with any sort of red dot sight anymore. Not with there being so many 1-4 or 1-6 optics out there. Much nicer to have some versatility for about the same price.

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5553-optics-px/14166464-wts-swfa-1-4-mil-mil-and-burris-1-4x

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5553-optics-px/14159074-wts-wtt-swfa-ss-hd-1-6x24-bc-caps-switchview-warne-qd-rings

Nmadole
10-09-2015, 03:14 PM
The T1 is perfect on my 7" Select Fire AR

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Coctailer
10-09-2015, 04:58 PM
The T1 is perfect on my 7" Select Fire AR

Machine guns are illegal bruh. I'm callin the cops.

Nmadole
10-09-2015, 06:16 PM
Machine guns are illegal bruh. I'm callin the cops.
I'll make sure to show them the one i got from you first lol