PDA

View Full Version : Bushnell AR Optics

TylerV76
11-02-2015, 06:11 PM
Anyone familiar with this scope? Its a 3-9x40 BDC with AO.

http://bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-scopes/ar-optics/3-9x-40mm#

Looking for any reviews or information. The reviews are great but some say its eye relief is too long.

rjrivero
11-03-2015, 02:03 PM
Anyone familiar with this scope? Its a 3-9x40 BDC with AO.

http://bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-scopes/ar-optics/3-9x-40mm#

Looking for any reviews or information. The reviews are great but some say its eye relief is too long.

What are you looking to do with the rifle? What role will it play? I'm not a big fan of drop reticles for precision rifle work. You still need to calculate and verify your drops and put a drop chart together for your ammo/rifle system, and I prefer to have a mil-dot or mil-hash reticle for that work.

Second, drop reticles make ranging much more cumbersome than it is with a good mil-dot or mil-hash reticle. I would opt for the Vortex Viper PST as a cost effective scope with all the precision rifle features. IMVHO it is at a great feature for money price point. (I prefer Mil/Mil but to each their own.)

TylerV76
11-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Mainly Im looking for a scope to zero in, then take off until Im shooting for precision at 100 yards or more. I just thre on a vortex spark 2 red dot and a 3x magnifier so 100 yards and under I should be good. Im also looking for a scope to possibly hunt with next year. My main wants and needs is something that stays zeroed during removal and remounting as well as something I can get my drop chart through the iStrelok app and be able to quickly use the scope retical to get on target up to 300 yards or so. The BDC reticles would only be used as a point of reference. Im a turret turner so I prefer a turret that stays zeroed and shows 1/4 and 1" increments. The only thing I think I want is a scope with AO so I can zoom all the way in and get focused on a target to see my groupings better.

I1I1I11II
11-03-2015, 05:23 PM
Your 3x is good for much much farther.

TylerV76
11-03-2015, 05:32 PM
Your 3x is good for much much farther.

Yes but even with glasses these old eyes arent much good after 100 yards lol. Honestly I mainly want to zoom in as close as possible at 200 yards and see my bullet placement. My 3x lets me group much better at 100 yards but a 9x allows me to actually see where I hit and be more consistent.

rjrivero
11-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Yes but even with glasses these old eyes arent much good after 100 yards lol. Honestly I mainly want to zoom in as close as possible at 200 yards and see my bullet placement. My 3x lets me group much better at 100 yards but a 9x allows me to actually see where I hit and be more consistent.

I hear you. In that price range, everything will be pretty similar. Nikon has a nice p223 in that price range as well. If you have the extra $$ look at the Vortex Crossfire II with the Dead-Hold BDC. I like that reticle better than the other "drop compensated" ones.

Best of luck.

EricF517
11-09-2015, 10:33 AM
Mainly Im looking for a scope to zero in, then take off until Im shooting for precision at 100 yards or more. I just thre on a vortex spark 2 red dot and a 3x magnifier so 100 yards and under I should be good. Im also looking for a scope to possibly hunt with next year. My main wants and needs is something that stays zeroed during removal and remounting as well as something I can get my drop chart through the iStrelok app and be able to quickly use the scope retical to get on target up to 300 yards or so. The BDC reticles would only be used as a point of reference. Im a turret turner so I prefer a turret that stays zeroed and shows 1/4 and 1" increments. The only thing I think I want is a scope with AO so I can zoom all the way in and get focused on a target to see my groupings better.

What is your definition of precision? How far are you thinking of shooting overall?

http://bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-scopes/elite-tactical/smrs-1-8-5x-24mm

http://bushnell.com/tactical/rifle-scopes/elite-tactical/smrs-1-6-5x-25mm

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/xtr-ii-riflescopes-series/xtr-ii-riflescope-1-5x24mm

That is just what popped in my head right off the bad without knowing what your idea of precision is. I am running a 6-24 PST on the wife's DPMS Mini SASS. If it was up to me she would be switching to a 4-30 XTR.

As for seeing your groupings, at 100y, you should be able to. Best bet is to go and buy a spotting scope. Vortex Razor is top pick with the Viper HD being second.

TylerV76
11-09-2015, 10:55 AM
I shot my AR this weekend using a cheap Bushnell banner 4-12x40 at 100 yards and was able to see my shots as well as place them consistently 1" - 1 1/4" apart at 9x zoom. 12x was a bit more than I liked. This scope doesnt have BDC or Mil Dots, it just has an adjustable objective and crosshair reticle. Based on how I did with that I think Im going to put it on my 22 and get the Bushnell AR Optics 3-9x40 for the AR.

Precision to me is shooting 1" groups at 100 yards and even with my red dot and 3x magnifier I was able to get 1 1/2" groupings once I focused more on where my trigger breaks. I do think though I want a spotting scope and the Vortex is the same one a couple people Ive talked to recommended getting.

rjrivero
11-11-2015, 06:45 AM
I shot my AR this weekend using a cheap Bushnell banner 4-12x40 at 100 yards and was able to see my shots as well as place them consistently 1" - 1 1/4" apart at 9x zoom. 12x was a bit more than I liked. This scope doesnt have BDC or Mil Dots, it just has an adjustable objective and crosshair reticle. Based on how I did with that I think Im going to put it on my 22 and get the Bushnell AR Optics 3-9x40 for the AR.

Precision to me is shooting 1" groups at 100 yards and even with my red dot and 3x magnifier I was able to get 1 1/2" groupings once I focused more on where my trigger breaks. I do think though I want a spotting scope and the Vortex is the same one a couple people Ive talked to recommended getting.
There are three different Vortex spotting scopes. The Razor is the one I use. Totally happy and impressed with that optic.