PDA

View Full Version : Climbing Tree Stand

Bannockburn
11-12-2015, 05:30 PM
I have a climbing tree stand, but I want to leave it up for a few days so I don't have to make a bunch of noise and work in the dark every morning next week.

Once I install the climber with the rachet straps and all that, can I then use it as a hanging stand? Does that sound like a bad idea? It's pretty much the same physics as a hanger, just a little more comfy. I plan on putting in climbing sticks to get up and down from there.

I'm new to tree stands, can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Kilt Guy
11-12-2015, 06:48 PM
The only negative that I can come up with is the transition from the climbing stick into the stand. If at all possible I would hook a safety harness onto the tree before you did.

Good luck hunting.

jeffy
11-12-2015, 08:33 PM
make sure you ratchet strap each section too .. They like to fall or slip when there is no weight on them.

Bannockburn
11-12-2015, 11:10 PM
Thanks! I have a tree strap for the initial climb and the branch clearing mission, and then I will attach my life line... this way I'm always strapped in.

mac3982
11-13-2015, 04:55 AM
maybe add a few screw in pegs as hand holds and foot pegs for the transition into the stand

Sledhead
11-13-2015, 05:31 AM
^^^They are a no no on state land.

However, if you're hunting state land let me know where. I'll keep an eye on your stand for you. Wink wink.

Atchison
11-13-2015, 10:25 AM
Just go buy a hang on, climbers are dumb in my opinion. You spend more time searching for a tree to climb rather than a spot to hunt. A hang on can go in almost any tree and is more secure when left up. The new ones are light enough that transferring from spot to spot is easy.

tenthumbs
11-13-2015, 11:19 AM
IHEA tracks "incidents". This year we lost one on opening day of archery. He was found at the base of his tree wearing a harness.

Falls have taken more lives in the past several seasons than gunshots. The vast majority of falls occur when entering or leaving the stand while transitioning from a climbing belt to the tree harness.

Sledhead
11-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Just go buy a hang on, climbers are dumb in my opinion. You spend more time searching for a tree to climb rather than a spot to hunt. A hang on can go in almost any tree and is more secure when left up. The new ones are light enough that transferring from spot to spot is easy.

^^that's what I was also thinking. I have a few, in fact I have one(ladder stand) that is still in the swamp from 4-5 years ago.
If you head to Harrisville up 65 I'll get them out and you can take one of your likings. Harness aren't included, unless I stumble on one. I usually pitch'em.

langenc
11-13-2015, 05:08 PM
4-5 years and any straps are DANGEROUS maybe not the first time but sooner or later.

Sledhead
11-13-2015, 07:17 PM
I'm sure it will have to be cut off the tree.....

sasquatchpa
02-01-2016, 02:42 PM
4-5 years and any straps are DANGEROUS maybe not the first time but sooner or later.

I left one up for a season..... I tried to use the same straps the next year! Ask me why I walk funny!

langenc
02-02-2016, 03:12 PM
IHEA tracks "incidents". This year we lost one on opening day of archery. He was found at the base of his tree wearing a harness.

Falls have taken more lives in the past several seasons than gunshots. The vast majority of falls occur when entering or leaving the stand while transitioning from a climbing belt to the tree harness.

Any one is one too many. How about those poor snowmobilers?? OI don't know there score by now but...

I said many times "if as many were shot hunting as die snowmobling, there would be clamoring to discontinue hunting." Don't seem to bother snowmobilers. Still see 20 or 30 parked at the bars weekend afternoons. Must be selling a bunch of chili.

Sledhead
02-02-2016, 06:01 PM
Any one is one too many. How about those poor snowmobilers?? OI don't know there score by now but...

I said many times "if as many were shot hunting as die snowmobling, there would be clamoring to discontinue hunting." Don't seem to bother snowmobilers. Still see 20 or 30 parked at the bars weekend afternoons. Must be selling a bunch of chili.

15 last year and 13 already this year. Speed or alcohol is almost always in the report. All from this year are still pending.

Not to bad of odds.