PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for a Ruger 10/22 Takedown

andoman
11-13-2015, 06:00 PM
What is a fair prices scope for a Ruger 10/22 Takedown? I've never bought a scope so I'm kind of lost on what to look for.

Thanks

Roundballer
11-13-2015, 06:55 PM
What is a fair prices scope for a Ruger 10/22 Takedown? I've never bought a scope so I'm kind of lost on what to look for.

Thanks

I know that this is unwanted input, but I would urge you not to bother.

1) Placing a scope on a takedown like that one kind of defeats the purpose of it being takedown.
2) Because the scope mounts to the receiver, and the barrel is what it needs to be aligned with, you will "never" be happy with the combination of the two. They just don't index back together that well.

Shyster
11-13-2015, 08:00 PM
An additional problem is the fact that the Ruger case is not designed to accommodate a scope when the gun is taken down. A regular scope WILL NOT FIT in the takedown case.

I ended putting a Vortex SPARC on mine and I am very pleased. The red dot is all you need and it fits in the case.

andoman
11-14-2015, 08:06 AM
An additional problem is the fact that the Ruger case is not designed to accommodate a scope when the gun is taken down. A regular scope WILL NOT FIT in the takedown case.

I ended putting a Vortex SPARC on mine and I am very pleased. The red dot is all you need and it fits in the case.

Thanks for the info I appreciate it.

andoman
11-14-2015, 08:07 AM
I know that this is unwanted input, but I would urge you not to bother.

1) Placing a scope on a takedown like that one kind of defeats the purpose of it being takedown.
2) Because the scope mounts to the receiver, and the barrel is what it needs to be aligned with, you will "never" be happy with the combination of the two. They just don't index back together that well.

I wondered the same thing but I figured I'd ask since I haven't owned a rifle since I was a kid.

oldjeeps
11-15-2015, 08:25 AM
Or go with the Browning ATD - the scope mount for that attaches to the barrel.

Ricebrnr
11-15-2015, 08:47 AM
There are plenty of people who have scoped there TDs and are happy with the results for accuracy and fitment into the bag.

Check Youtube for some examples.

xtrema312
11-16-2015, 04:11 PM
I have been running some nikon prostaff rim fire scopes and liking them a lot on the 10/22s, but have not tried a take down. I want one though. I have been running a TRS25 on a 50th anniversary design contest winner model. That is a fun combo for shorter range shooting. Should fit in the bag.

DV8r
11-16-2015, 04:25 PM
IMHO, a peep site is just as good or better an option for that gun.

chosos
11-23-2015, 01:42 PM
They also make this rifle with the fiber sights. I sold my original takedown and picked up the version with the threaded barrel and the fiber sights. I greatly prefer it over the original peep sights.

If you own the stainless version, when you mount the scope rail, it also ruins the finish under the rail and chips away the clearcoat.

jeepfreek
11-28-2015, 07:26 PM
I had a smallish scope on the TD for quite some time. I don't remember the brand but I bought it at Cabela's. It worked just fine with the take down and re-zeroing. Fit in the bag along with some ammo and even a 60mm spotting scope. So yeah- plenty of room if you plan it right.