PDA

View Full Version : What gun is most useful?

who dat
12-16-2008, 01:00 PM
I'm new to hunting. Sat in a blind for 2 days and thought I found heaven.

My question is, what gun should I have to deer/bird hunt? If I have a 12 gauge O/U for clays, is that gun OK for birds or even deer?

Should I keep my 12 gauge pump for deer or sell/trade it for a black powder rifle? Black powder can be used in shotgun only zones, seems to have much greater range than a shotgun, and would give me the opportunity to hunt more.

It seems the pump is less useful than the smokepole. Opinions?

RSF
12-16-2008, 01:35 PM
issue is this most slug guns and modern slugs are shooting no more than a muzzleloader bullet to a degree at up to 1900fps.. about the same most OTC smokepoles... i have used my slug guns to kill deer up to 200 yards and one at 235 yards..(yes it can be done but requires a bit of practice... good gun scope and ammo combo.)

smokepoles are fun accurate and interactive as all get out. i i have shot deer this up too 340 yards with my newest stick a carbon fiber wrapped gun from ultimate which gives me up to 2400fps with a 300 grain bullet but at a cost.. they start out at almost 1600-3500 and are worth every penny. in accuracy power yet my omega and encore have killed deer to 200 yards no issue but minus the pb range ablity .

what gun and scope slug combo do you use as of now?is the key question

an HR 12 gauge with a good glass and hornaday sst or the new remingtons have show great promise mine has a 4x12 sitting on it and its tack drive

papabear
12-16-2008, 02:18 PM
The one thing with the muzzle loader is that you get a longer deer season.

Done Deal
12-16-2008, 02:48 PM
If your sole use for the gun is deer, I would go with a smoke pole.

If, you are only going to have one gun as a do all, the only thing that will do it all is a shotgun.

who dat
12-16-2008, 03:19 PM
If your sole use for the gun is deer, I would go with a smoke pole.

If, you are only going to have one gun as a do all, the only thing that will do it all is a shotgun.
Which shotgun? I could keep the O/U and add the muzzleloader. The expendable one is the pump IMO.

who dat
12-16-2008, 03:26 PM
issue is this most slug guns and modern slugs are shooting no more than a muzzleloader bullet to a degree at up to 1900fps.. about the same most OTC smokepoles... i have used my slug guns to kill deer up to 200 yards and one at 235 yards..(yes it can be done but requires a bit of practice... good gun scope and ammo combo.)

smokepoles are fun accurate and interactive as all get out. i i have shot deer this up too 340 yards with my newest stick a carbon fiber wrapped gun from ultimate which gives me up to 2400fps with a 300 grain bullet but at a cost.. they start out at almost 1600-3500 and are worth every penny. in accuracy power yet my omega and encore have killed deer to 200 yards no issue but minus the pb range ablity .

an HR 12 gauge with a good glass and hornaday sst or the new remingtons have show great promise mine has a 4x12 sitting on it and its tack driveWhile I won't be looking at a multi thousand $$ gun, I would be talking apples to apples on the type of smokepole vs. shottie I would use. In actuality, I would be comparing a Mossberg pump with a CVA muzzleloader. Optics would be in the lesser expensive range, and my shots would likely be limited to 250 yards and less.

I'm new to this, and don't have a lot of experience with long guns, ammo or optics yet, but I do want the most versatile setup that I can use more often. It looks like the smokepole will provide that, but should I dump the O/U or the pump if I can't keep them all?

Done Deal
12-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Which shotgun? I could keep the O/U and add the muzzleloader. The expendable one is the pump IMO.

You are probably right but, why get rid of one if you don't have to?

I have back ups to back ups and then of course there is the loaner and the loaner backup. If you think I am ridiculous, Heaven forbid, don't tell my wife.

I have two shotguns set up for deer hunting and one main, one extra, and one never fired muzzle loader. The main one is ok for probably 150 but, I have never stretched the barrel further nor do I intend to with that set up even though it is scoped and I can shoot. The only time I would use either non-rifled barrel and non-scoped shotgun (even though they have sights) would be for close range stuff or deer drives below M-57.

I have a sweet O/U that has short bbls and sights and I have a red dot for it too but, have never even flung slugs through it as I have too many others. It is a turkey gun (oh yeah, I have a back up turkey gun too).

Anyway, I would keep all three and get optics for the smoke pole. I probably wouldn't mess with getting the slug gun drilled and tapped unless it was a mighty serious shooter.

musashi
12-16-2008, 04:21 PM
I would never short change myself on optics for a hunting or self defense weapon. Poor light conditions have a huge effect on bargain optics

fbuckner
12-16-2008, 04:50 PM
in accuracy power yet my omega and encore have killed deer to 200 yards no issue but minus the pb range ablity .

an HR 12 gauge with a good glass and hornaday sst or the new remingtons have show great promise mine has a 4x12 sitting on it and its tack drive

200 yards with your encore ?? Man live a little my furthest was in the 240s. Justins furthest with his optima pro was 238 in the neck. Anyhow like RSF says here all his suggestions are great ones. All the modern smokepoles are great the HR shottys are worth a serious look and any good pump gun witht heright load is perfect as well. But why stop at one in time buy em all.

sprink
12-16-2008, 08:31 PM
The O/U gives two quick shots from a gun designed for wing shooting. If that's what you do, keep it, no question.

The pump gives three slower shots for waterfowl, five or more for other stuff.

The muzzle loader is one shot. Should be enough, but a followup shot is timed by the hourglass.....

I like both the shotgun and the muzzle loader.

Like was mentioned, the muzzle loader extends the season. That is my only love for it. Often that is my favorite time out after the opening of bow season.

Shotgun offers similar range, easier followup shot (two deer perhaps? lol), and much easier to unload and clean.

I am always amazed by all these long range shots. I hunt in the woods, and for years, (and a few deer shot with shotgun, muzzle loader and rifle) my longest shot was 40 yards.....with a bow.

RSF
12-16-2008, 11:33 PM
200 yards with your encore ?? Man live a little my furthest was in the 240s. Justins furthest with his optima pro was 238 in the neck. Anyhow like RSF says here all his suggestions are great ones. All the modern smokepoles are great the HR shottys are worth a serious look and any good pump gun witht heright load is perfect as well. But why stop at one in time buy em all.

never had any further... this yer was 340 yards longest average being about 250 yards...

though the long shot shots last year were 326 and 377 randy shot 2 at a whopping 600 yards this year..with his though...

yes if i could one gun and only one it would be a smokepole hell i dont even un case a slug gun anymore and the encore long gone and sold the omega is a back up that collects dust..

the optima pro i had was a good shooter held real well to 250 yards with 275 bullets and mmp sabots and 2 of triple 7

who dat
12-17-2008, 08:47 AM
Thank you for all the replies. It seems that getting rid of a gun is not the right thing to do. I agree. I think I'll wait til next year to hunt with smoke, thereby giving me time to acquire a new muzzleloader without sacrificing any guns.

I appreciate the help.:bow:

fbuckner
12-17-2008, 10:06 AM
my longest shot was 40 yards.....with a bow.

40 yards is impressive Greg. I dont have a clear shot out to 40 yards in the thicket i hunt

remingtondude58
12-17-2008, 10:19 PM
...without sacrificing any guns.

always the way to go when possible

huntmeister
12-18-2008, 05:02 PM
the over under for birds and clays, rabitts. most versital open choke for close shots and tighter choke on second barrel for longer distance shots.

the pump with rifled barrel and sabot slugs you can get 150 maybe 200 yard performance, plus have the follow up shot.

If you have a mossberg 500 you can get a muzzleloader barrel for it.
http://www.mossberg.com/products/access.asp?type=barrels&section=access

Or just get a gun for every season and game.

dedicated to one purpose.
bow and arrows
.12 slug gun bolt action fully rifled barrel.scoped (deer)
.50 caliber muzzleloader.(deer)
.12 over under/side by side (upland bird gun).
.12 (turkey gun) short vent rib barrel pump with red dot pistolgrip stock
.20 pump for (rabbits).
.22 magnum bolt action (squirrals/nightime coyote).scoped
.22 semi auto for backyard woodchucking and other little critters
.223 (varmints).scoped
.12 3 1/2" pump (waterfowl).
.300 winmag any north american big game.scoped
.44 magnum

I have a traditional side lock thompson center muzzle loader for the muzzle loader season just cause I like the old style. sitting out there in the snow frosted woods, looking down at the old style rifle with traditional sights, hardwood stock,suead leather sling, loaded with a lead maxi ball thinking to myself this how they used to do it.
They should open a season for just traditional muzzleloaders.

remingtondude58
12-18-2008, 06:22 PM

bow and arrows
.12 (turkey gun) short vent rib barrel pump with red dot
.20 pump for (rabbits).
.223 (varmints).scoped
.44 magnum

plus once you get a 300 win mag with a scope you will probably want another rifle with open sights for close up brush hunting.

mechredd
12-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Keep your pump. An OU is a good gun to have for clays birds and small game, but they're not suited for deer. Your pump will serve you very well for the bigger critters and the small ones too. The nice things about pump guns is that you can easily switch barrels to best suit your needs at the time. Most barrels will cost only half as much as a new gun, and you don't need to learn the controls and overall feel of a new firearm. A field barrel will work well on everything and a slug barrel is excellent for big game. There are also barrels made specifically for turkey and personal defense. At one point there were also muzzle loader barrels available for a few pumpers, but I don't know how good they were.

huntmeister
12-18-2008, 07:21 PM
plus once you get a 300 win mag with a scope you will probably want another rifle with open sights for close up brush hunting.

correct you'll need somthing like a marlin 45/70 lever action Oh I have one and I am willing to sell ..my M1A isnt for sale. LOL

who dat
12-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Keep your pump. An OU is a good gun to have for clays birds and small game, but they're not suited for deer. Your pump will serve you very well for the bigger critters and the small ones too. The nice things about pump guns is that you can easily switch barrels to best suit your needs at the time. Most barrels will cost only half as much as a new gun, and you don't need to learn the controls and overall feel of a new firearm. A field barrel will work well on everything and a slug barrel is excellent for big game. There are also barrels made specifically for turkey and personal defense. At one point there were also muzzle loader barrels available for a few pumpers, but I don't know how good they were.
That is something I hadn't considered. Thanks.

who dat
12-19-2008, 10:02 AM
the over under for birds and clays, rabitts. most versital open choke for close shots and tighter choke on second barrel for longer distance shots.

the pump with rifled barrel and sabot slugs you can get 150 maybe 200 yard performance, plus have the follow up shot.

If you have a mossberg 500 you can get a muzzleloader barrel for it.
http://www.mossberg.com/products/access.asp?type=barrels&section=access

bow and arrows
.12 (turkey gun) short vent rib barrel pump with red dot
.20 pump for (rabbits).
.223 (varmints).scoped
.44 magnum

I have a traditional side lock thompson center muzzle loader for the muzzle loader season just cause I like the old style. sitting out there in the snow frosted woods, looking down at the old style rifle with traditional sights, hardwood stock,suead leather sling, loaded with a lead maxi ball thinking to myself this how they used to do it.
They should open a season for just traditional muzzleloaders.Great list, huntmeister!

ShootinFool
12-24-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm new to hunting. Sat in a blind for 2 days and thought I found heaven.
You did find heaven. You really did.

My question is, what gun should I have to deer/bird hunt? If I have a 12 gauge O/U for clays, is that gun OK for birds or even deer?
O/U is great for birds, not so great for deer unless you are using buckshot. Buckshot has very limited usefulness for serious deer hunting at woods ranges.

Should I keep my 12 gauge pump for deer or sell/trade it for a black powder rifle? Black powder can be used in shotgun only zones, seems to have much greater range than a shotgun, and would give me the opportunity to hunt more.
Keep the 12 gauge pump. It is too versatile a weapon to ever part with. Go ahead and buy a black powder rifle. Prices are reasonable and the extra season is a big plus. Black powder rifles have great range but they require much more maintenance and cleaning than your shotgun. Muzzleloaders should be cleaned thoroughly after each use to avoid corrosion. They are fun and they give you the sense of going back in time. The main limitation is the slow reload and the sensitivity to wetness. The old saying "keep your powder dry" is good to keep in mind. Hunting in rain and heavy snow requires precautions that you will pick up on as you gain experience. Since you already have the 12 gauge, buy a slug barrel for it and you're ready to go. A rifled slug barrel will run about $300 or more depending on brand.

It seems the pump is less useful than the smokepole. Opinions?
No. The pump is much more useful than the smokepole. The pump gives you fast follow-up shots plus the versatility of hunting everything from squirrels to birds to deer and bear with the same weapon. Just change the barrel. If cost is an issue, you can get a Mossberg 500 combo with 28" vent rib and 20" rifled slug barrel on sale for around $350. The Remington 870 Wingmaster combo will run hundreds more. Personally, I use a Remington 870 Wingmaster with a 20" smoothbore slug barrel in the shotgun deer zones and the 28" vent rib for pheasants and ducks. The 20" smooth bore lets me shoot rifled slugs accurately out beyond 125 yards while still being able to load buckshot, birdshot or turkey shot in the same barrel. When I get back home, the 20" barrel makes it a great home defender. If you're hunting in the rifle zone, start with a Marlin .30-30 lever action rifle. You really don't need more power than that in Michigan. The .30-30 kills deer and bear very well with a low cost rifle and ammo out beyond 125 yards. Rarely do you ever get a shot farther than that in the woods. If you're hunting large open fields in the rifle zone, you might want a .270 Win. or 7mm Remington.

who dat
12-25-2008, 08:38 AM
More good info. I already have the Mossberg 500 with the 28" ribbed barrel. I'll look for a rifled slug barrel for it, but I don't need a short barrel shotgun for HD. I have a Persuader for that! Is longer barrel better for deer or does it matter?

The rifle is down the list a bit, so that will have to wait. That's why I thought the smokepole would be more versatile. I can see now I need to allocate more funds to this sickness.:thumbup:

remingtondude58
12-25-2008, 11:02 AM
If you are looking for a slug barrel and think you might want a scope I would get one with a cantilever mount so you can mount a scope but still be able to switch barrels and it stay sighted in.

who dat
12-26-2008, 11:00 AM
If you are looking for a slug barrel and think you might want a scope I would get one with a cantilever mount so you can mount a scope but still be able to switch barrels and it stay sighted in.
:thup:

ShootinFool
12-27-2008, 01:26 PM
...Is longer barrel better for deer or does it matter?...

The length of barrel is not going to make a significant difference in accuracy when shooting slugs. I generally like the shorter slug barrels in the 20"-22" range. I can shoot slugs accurately with my 28" barrel but just as accurately with the 20" barrel. I prefer the 20" with rifle sights. Really, the sights are more important for accuracy than the length of barrel. If using buckshot, I prefer a modified or full choke. A fixed modified choke will give you maximum versatility.

... I can see now I need to allocate more funds to this sickness.:thumbup:
Yep. It's like any other hobby. There's always a next level that you can get to and that takes more cash.

BURR.30CAL
01-01-2009, 09:16 PM
As someone already mentioned, since you have the Mossberg 500, you can buy a black powder bbl. for it. Uses the shotgun primer, very reliable. .50 cal., I use .44 sabots in mine. Always hunted with 20 ga., just bought 12 ga. to carry in the truck. Now I use the 500 more than my 20 ga. 1100, have 3 bbls. for it, (slug, smoke, and 18" for SD.)