PDA

View Full Version : Rut still on?!?!

jay
12-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Went out tonight for three hours and watched the largest buck I have ever seen alive trailing and then chasing does! I have never witnessed this behavior this late in the season before so I have to ask, is it normal?

RSF
12-17-2008, 06:45 PM
very common... the first year girls are now comng into there there first cycle this often refered to as the late rut....

i take many of my best bucks this time of year
often bucks are searching out does that havent been bred yet during the first part of the bredding phase and by this time the girls born in the summer aare now ripe so to speak.,

jay
12-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Well I know where I'll be for the next week or so. And 8 - 12 inches of snow coming Thursday night on top of the 5-6 we have!

henrylehman
12-17-2008, 09:29 PM
thats strange activity.

RSF
12-17-2008, 09:35 PM
Not all most dont understand deer breeding cycles or the different phase's of the Rut.

1. Pre-Rut/Rubbing, 2. Dispersal, 3. Pre-primary Breeding/Scraping, 4. Primary Breeding, 5. Rest, 6. Late-Breeding, followed by the Post Rut.

jay
12-17-2008, 10:02 PM
I thought it strange at first also. That is why I posted. Now I remember some of that resting period, late rut stuff. Just have never witnessed it before. Anyway get to the woods! Some of the big ones are still ahoof.

remingtondude58
12-17-2008, 10:10 PM
Went out tonight for three hours and watched the largest buck I have ever seen alive...

did you shoot it?

jay
12-17-2008, 10:18 PM
No, at 5p.m. three does ran down the woodline about 180-200 yards in front of me and got my attention. They stopped, milled around and then looked behind them and just flat took off. Fifteen to twenty seconds later here comes this lone deer at a trot. It stops where the does had and paws around a little, then takes off at a gallop after them. I have my t/c renegade and a 4x leopold out there and truthfully have not shot it for distance over 150 yards. I passed this shot as I felt uncomfortable and did not want to wound him. So I watched all this thru a scope and hoped they would come my way. They didn't. Funny thing is on the way out this evening I walked down to where they were and they all had run thru the opening between the ladder of my stand and the tree it is on. Too bad I was not in it!

BubbaX
12-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Awesome Jay! When you do get that good shot make sure and take a lot of pictures for us. Good luck.

jay
12-19-2008, 10:11 AM
He has till either sundown tonight or just past sunup tomorrow left, yea right he'll be like a ghost and I'll have nothing but memories to see him with!