PDA

View Full Version : Will I see it.

denniscoon@aol.c
11-27-2015, 03:11 PM
Since I have never owned a rifle with a scope on it, and I want to put one on a recently purchased Ruger AR-15. I am considering mounting a Nikon 223 with one piece Nikon scope mount. My Question is, will I see the front sight in the scope? The front sight looks like it would be in the way. Thanks.

Knockoff64
11-27-2015, 04:31 PM
No, you will see right through it.

Be careful what mount you get for what scope. The Nikon P223 3x32 does not have much leeway in where the rings can be clamped around the tube (scope is so short), the Nikon P223 2 piece mounts work fine. For example the 1 piece Burris P.E.R.P. will not work.

denniscoon@aol.c
11-27-2015, 04:40 PM
I am thinking the Nikon 2 piece mount and a 3X32 Nikon scope. Thanks

red442joe
11-27-2015, 05:42 PM
I have the Nikon P-Series 2 piece mounts on my rifle, with a big Mueller scope.

These seem to work well and allowed me to configure them to use the rail
space the way I wanted.

Joe

Knockoff64
11-27-2015, 09:39 PM
I have this one.http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/product/null/p-223-3x32-matte-bdc-carbine.html and these mounts.http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/Mounts-and-Mounting-Rings/p-series-mount.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-RatingsReviews

They work great for low recoil applications like 5.56, 22lr or 30 carbine. They are not great for large caliber, the short eye relief will bite you if your not careful. Mine is currently mounted on an M1 carbine (only because I like iron sights on my PDW).

xtrema312
12-02-2015, 06:53 AM
I don't have a scope on an AR yet so I can't say exactly what you will get with a front sight and specific scope. However, I do run several low power and variables on different guns. Seeing it will depend on the magnification, possibly the scope, and of course the height above any obstruction. With low magnification, you will see it fairly clearly. Mid range magnification could result in a blurry area in your view. You will likely not see it at higher magnification. I run 1.5-4x on 3 guns without a huge front sight and can see most of my barrel at 1.5x. I need to get over 3x not to see blurry barrel end in the bottom of my scope and that is with a scope a couple inches above the barrel vs a sight post centered in scope line of sight.

04JRB
12-02-2015, 12:00 PM
I currently have a Nikon M-223 3-12 on my AR mounted in the M-223 20 MOA mount. On the lowest magnification, the front sight post is still visible but very faint and it completely goes away on any higher magnification.

I do not have the Drop reticle, I have the Nikoplex as I use handloads exclusively and my FPS is faster than what the drop indicators are calibrated for. I needed the 20 MOA mount to keep the erector adjustments close to mechanical zero as possible. Without that 20 MOA mount, I could not zero the rifle at 100 yards without getting very close to topping out the elevation adjustments. Im not sure if both reticle options require the canted mount, but mine definitely did. Another merit to the one piece mount for me was that it is really easy to remove the Nikon and switch to my EOtech without major POI change, I know it can be done using two piece mounts but it is piece of mind that the entire optic and mount come off in one unit and cannot get out of alignment.

Danco411
12-02-2015, 12:06 PM
If you are looking for a lower cost low magnification optic for an AR I would look at the Primary Arms ACSS. They are far superior to any of the Nikon and Bushnell optics in the same price range. The 1-6 5.56 ACSS has superb glass and a killer reticle. You will never need anything more than 6X on an AR and on 1 power it performs like any red dot with both eyes open CQB shooting. At $270 they can't be beat and PA offers a superb warranty. Marshall at PA has his glass made in the Philippines and the scopes assembled to their specs in China which keeps the cost down. I have 3 of them, one the 5.56, one the 300BK and their 4-14 ACSS HUD FFP on my Grendel. Best part is when you buy one you get a deep discount on any mount.

denniscoon@aol.c
12-03-2015, 07:49 AM
Fex Ex delivered my scope yesterday. Once I get it mounted I will be able to report if the front sight is visible or not.

Rootsy
12-05-2015, 03:29 PM
You will get a bit at say 1x. By 4x it is gone.

denniscoon@aol.c
12-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Going to mount the scope next week... will let everyone know if I can see the front sight.

Rootsy
12-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Going to mount the scope next week... will let everyone know if I can see the front sight.

CMP & NRA are allowing 1-4.5X optics on Service Rifle (AR) for 2016. I have a VX Hog on my A4. I removed the post from the FSB but the optic is high enough that it does not matter. I can see a blurry type outline at 1X. I see nothing at 4X. The center of the scope is above and between the rabbit ears on the FSB.