PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for youth model cva single shot .243

spartans8989
12-08-2015, 08:30 AM
Got this gun for my kids to hunt deer with. won't be needing to shot much further than 100 yards ever. what power and name brand scope should I be looking for? Thanks in advance!!!!!

Danco411
12-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Those are superb rifles to get young kids shooting. I got one for a 11 year old girl who shot an 8pt with one of my hand loads. All it should take is one.

Like all kids you have to teach them how to shoot and concentrate on the shot by not overcomplicating things. The single shot is the first step. Getting a simple optic is the next. I am a firm believer in low power for Michigan deer hunting and also maximizing the fun factor for kids who have fun shooting at shorter targets with good feedback like steel. I have a 400 yard steel range up North and on any given weekend have 6-10 young kids shooting. A low power 2-10 or 3-9 works great. I also find having an illuminated reticle helps them focus on tracking for learning but is not imperative. Bushnell makes a great line of low power scopes in their banner line which will hold up well on the .243. Great caliber choice by the way. Just stay way from the cheap brands like BSA, Leepers/UTG and such as they inevitably fail. Bushnell, Burris and even some higher end Simmons and Weavers are all good choices.

spartans8989
12-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Thanks Danco! Looking at the Bushnell Banners, what do you think about the 1.5-4X32? That means its only a 4 power, correct? Thats all that is probably needed or should i just do a 3X9. I always get confused when it comes to the different numbers on scopes. The last number I'm assuming is the size/diameter of the lens (or is it the eyepiece)? and then the first two numbers means the power of the scope, correct? Thanks again for any help

Danco411
12-08-2015, 09:10 AM
Perfect! I never set my scope on more than 4 for hunting. It will also be light and handy. The only draw back is if you want them to start shooting some practice groups at 100. They won't be able to see much at only 4x. The 3x9 will be better for that immediate feedback on paper as they can see their holes. Either will be great.

EricF517
12-08-2015, 10:07 AM
My recomendation would be a 2-10, but at the same time how far do you think the rifle shooting will go? Are the kids really enjoy shooting rifles? Are they trying to drill holes yet? Do they like shooting AR's? Reason I ask is that if they are that interested you may want to look at something that they can grow into.