PDA

View Full Version : SB 0665, 0666 storing a firearm

Tallbear
12-11-2015, 11:55 AM
SB 0665 of 2015
Crimes; weapons; sentencing guidelines reference; update. Amends sec. 16m, ch. XVII of 1927 PA 175 (MCL 777.16m).
Last Action: 12/10/2015 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY

SB 0666 of 2015 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2015-SB-0666)
Crimes; weapons; penalties for storing or leaving a firearm where it may be accessed by a minor; provide for. Amends sec. 223 of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.223) & adds sec. 223a.
Last Action: 12/10/2015 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY

Roundballer
12-13-2015, 12:34 AM
I think that this goes against Heller.

Doesn't this Rebekah Warren have anything else to do? Is there something in the water in Warren?

She needs a hard wake-up slap. I hope someone good runs against her.

JasonJ
12-14-2015, 11:18 AM
I think Ms. Warren has a vendetta or grudge against legal firearms owners.

ninjatoth
12-14-2015, 07:41 PM
This is the biggest oxymoron bill I have ever seen. There is a legal exception to a minor obtaining a firearm if acting in self defense(such as in their own home with their parent's firearm), yet it would be illegal for a parent to leave a firearm obtainable to a minor to use for self defense. Ok, my head hurts trying to figure out the logic, i'm done here. :-?

PeeDee
12-14-2015, 09:30 PM
This is the biggest oxymoron bill I have ever seen. There is a legal exception to a minor obtaining a firearm if acting in self defense(such as in their own home with their parent's firearm), yet it would be illegal for a parent to leave a firearm obtainable to a minor to use for self defense. Ok, my head hurts trying to figure out the logic, i'm done here. :-?

The 'logic' is as always - penalize everyone for the stupidity of a few. (And that will remedy the problem.)

It's been going on for a long time; ever since to mete out penalties for individual mis-doing is 'not nice' and may cost someone votes.

Nic
12-15-2015, 02:58 AM

I don't think that's quite accurate. Sec 223a says it's only a violation of the law if you leave your gun accessible and a minor obtains it and uses it to hurt/kill himself or another (felony), or minor obtains it and shows it in public or threatens someone with it (misdemeanor). So basically, you don't break any law by simply leaving your gun accessible. You've only broken the law if that accessible gun is obtained and unlawfully used by a minor. It's still a dumb law though.

Oh and Rebekah Warren is from Ann Arbor, that should tell you everything you need to know about any of her legislation.

JasonJ
12-21-2015, 11:52 AM
I was just in Ann Arbor yesterday... nice town in terms of shopping, places to eat, business start-ups, etc ... but I could feel the political tension and progressive leanings in the air.