PDA

View Full Version : HB 5199 prohibit carry of certain weapons

Tallbear
12-18-2015, 10:01 AM
HB 5199 of 2015 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2015-HB-5199)
Crimes; weapons; prohibitions against carrying certain weapons; revise. Amends secs. 226, 227 & 231 of 1931 PA 328 (MCL 750.226 et seq.).
Last Action: 12/17/2015 referred to Committee on Judiciary

brass hat
12-18-2015, 07:50 PM
So does this create transport laws for Pocket knives?

Roundballer
12-18-2015, 08:09 PM
So does this create transport laws for Pocket knives?

No, it creates additional prohibitions on fixed blades.

xmanhockey7
12-18-2015, 08:45 PM
Screw this. We need Green's knife preemption to pass. I've written my legislators.

luckless
12-19-2015, 09:52 AM
Looks like this increases the penalty for breaking the law. It also relaxes transportation regulations. You will be able to transport knives in your glove box and reenactors can carry, transport and wear their sabers, bayonets, dirks, daggers and swords. It doesn't look like it has anything to do with switchblades or preemption.

I'm curious about who lobbied for this. I'm sure that will tell us a lot about the legislation's intent.

The increased penalty is the only negative aspect that I can see.

luckless
12-19-2015, 09:59 AM
Screw this. We need Green's knife preemption to pass. I've written my legislators.
Green's bill sits in the same committee as this one. I have three thoughts on this, they could be looking to tie bar them or use Green's bill as a bargaining chip to pass Chatfields or leadership is looking to kill both bills.

I'm going with the last one, right now.

Jared1981
12-19-2015, 04:55 PM
I'm wondering what's going on as well.

I'm also wondering why there hasn't been a court challenge on this nonsense. Even Wisconsin and Connecticut has had most (or all for CT) knives laws shot down to the extent that the person can possess a firearm.

There is no reason for this issue to linger on longer than it already has. An as applied challenge to 227(1), 226a, and 224 for other knives most likely wouldn't withstand a 2A court challenge, especially after the Yanna case.

Roadblock
12-19-2015, 08:42 PM
This whole knife thing is ridiculous. If they don't want to relax the laws or add preemption in generally, a valid CPL holder should at least be able to carry whatever he wants for a knife. At the point that I can carry an AR-15 pistol that is under 26" OAL, how could it possibly matter if I want to carry a 4" inch folding knife with a "spring and button" in it??!? I should be able to carry a freaking light saber if I want to if I'm able to carry a firearm.

I'd like to see the CPL reformed to the point of not being a Concealed Pistol License but more of a Concealed Weapons License that covers firearms, knives, tasers or even a damn pair of nun-chucks if I'm feeling ninja!

Jared1981
12-19-2015, 08:47 PM
This whole knife thing is ridiculous. If they don't want to relax the laws or add preemption in generally, a valid CPL holder should at least be able to carry whatever he wants for a knife. At the point that I can carry an AR-15 pistol that is under 26" OAL, how could it possibly matter if I want to carry a 4" inch folding knife with a "spring and button" in it??!? I should be able to carry a freaking light saber if I want to if I'm able to carry a firearm.

I'd like to see the CPL reformed to the point of not being a Concealed Pistol License but more of a Concealed Weapons License that covers firearms, knives, tasers or even a damn pair of nun-chucks if I'm feeling ninja!

It may come to that but a CPL is too restrictive with lots of unconstitutional issues. It would be best if they were to just apply these knife laws to those who are prohibited from firearm possession per MCL 750.224f

To link it to a CPL like they did for Tasers would be horrible.

mudoven
02-09-2016, 03:16 PM

Kentucky has a Deadly Weapons License...we should follow their lead:

"As used in the Kentucky Penal Code, (See KRS 500.080.) "Deadly weapon" means any
of the following:
(a) A weapon of mass destruction;
(b) Any weapon from which a shot,
readily capable of producing death or other
serious physical injury, may be discharged;
(c) Any knife other than an
ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife;
(d) Billy, nightstick, or club;
(e) Blackjack or slapjack;
(f) Nunchaku karate sticks;
(g) Shuriken or death star; or
(h) Artificial knuckles made from me
tal, plastic, or other similar hard material"

Taken from https://docjt.ky.gov/forms/CCDW/Summary%20-%20LICENSE%20TO%20CARRY%20CONCEALED%20DEADLY%20WEA PONS.pdf

Weapons of mass destruction??? WTF Kentucky???