PDA

View Full Version : HB 5200, 5201 eliminate pistol free zones

Tallbear
12-18-2015, 10:03 AM
HB 5200 of 2015 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2015-HB-5200)
Weapons; other; pistol-free zones; eliminate. Amends sec. 5c of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.425c) & repeals sec. 5o of 1927 PA 372 (MCL 28.425o).
Last Action: 12/17/2015 referred to Committee on Judiciary
HB 5201 of 2015 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2015-HB-5201)
Criminal procedure; sentencing guidelines; reference in sentencing guidelines; update. Amends sec. 11b, ch. XVII of 1927 PA 175 (MCL 777.11b). TIE BAR WITH: HB 5200'15
Last Action: 12/17/2015 referred to Committee on Judiciary

Roundballer
12-18-2015, 11:22 AM
This one looks nice, clean and simple, repeal 28.425o and strike out the associated penalties.

And just because it is so clean and simple, it will go no where.

G22
12-18-2015, 01:12 PM
Someone's name is conspicuously missing from the sponsors. Maybe it will have a snowballs chance in December.

Leader
12-18-2015, 01:27 PM
This is a GREAT bill.
If it stays like it is written, I could fully support it.

(Even knowing that our dear Governor would never sign it.)

Ask these sponsors to submit one repealing the duty to inform too.

Roundballer
12-18-2015, 02:07 PM
Someone's name is conspicuously missing from the sponsors. Maybe it will have a snowballs chance in December.
If you look this sponsor up, you will see that he advertises that he is a member of MCRGO.

But this is the same guy that is messing with the knife law in HB 5199. And that one looks like he is just trying to bend us over!

Scandiacus
12-18-2015, 02:46 PM
If you look this sponsor up, you will see that he advertises that he is a member of MCRGO.

But this is the same guy that is messing with the knife law in HB 5199. And that one looks like he is just trying to bend us over!

Out of curiosity, why do you say that? The text is basically the same as an older bill introduced by Green, and it's not an awesome change, but it's still a major improvement on and simplification of the existing knife laws.

Roundballer
12-18-2015, 04:46 PM
Which "that" are you asking why I said it?

And the only "Green" bill I know of is an attempt to create preemption for knives: 2015-SB-0305 (http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2015-SB-0305) That originally had a repeal of 750.226a, but it cot chopped out. What are you talking about?

luckless
12-18-2015, 05:21 PM

The judiciary committees of the legislature are stacked against us.

Scandiacus
12-18-2015, 08:55 PM
Which "that" are you asking why I said it?

And the only "Green" bill I know of is an attempt to create preemption for knives: 2015-SB-0305 (http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2015-SB-0305) That originally had a repeal of 750.226a, but it cot chopped out. What are you talking about?

This bill is nearly identical in wording to HB4262 from last legislative session. But I was wrong in that 4262 was introduced by Rep. Foster, though - don't know why I thought it was Green. Sorry for the confusion, I misremembered the sponsor.

As far as the "that" goes, I meant why do you think that 5199 it "bends us over?" I see this bill as being generally a good thing. The existing knife law is so vague as to be dangerous. For crying out loud, what's the legal definition of a dirk, dagger, stiletto or stabbing instrument? Although I'd love a legal beagle to weigh in, my understanding is that this would specifically restrict concealed carry of only double-edged fixed blade things (knives and any other "such bladed objects etc.", the "such" restricting the scope of "bladed" to blades of the double-edged nonfolding sort). So simply no concealed double-edged fixed blade knives, double-edged spear heads/arrows/swords/whatever. NO RESTRICTION on anything single-edged and/or folding. It further adds way more exceptions than currently exist. Is this as good as simply not restricting knives? Emphatically not. Is this as good as allowing a CPL to cover concealed carry of knives? Not remotely. But it's a whole heck of a lot better than the existing law. You may not like those baby steps toward saner knife laws, and you may not like the bill, and that's totally fine. But it's incredibly disingenuous to accuse the bill's sponsor of trying to "bend us over" given that his intentions and the wording of this bill are clearly designed to loosen knife restrictions.

Roundballer
12-18-2015, 09:08 PM
If you want to talk knives, let's take it to that bill.

As far as I can see, this is a good bill as it stands. We will have to see how it goes.

JasonJ
12-21-2015, 11:58 AM
Governor would never sign it anyhow... even after full support from all of State congress. He won't sign anything that doesn't carve out an exception for those operating the current PFZ's from being able to ban them on their own, essentially putting us back to where we are now, if not worse.

balrog006
12-23-2015, 10:27 AM
Governor would never sign it anyhow... even after full support from all of State congress. He won't sign anything that doesn't carve out an exception for those operating the current PFZ's from being able to ban them on their own, essentially putting us back to where we are now, if not worse.

A vast majority can do that now with or without PFZ's as they are private property. The only ones that couldn't would be gov bodies, local municipalities etc which cant on their own now and shouldn't be able to regardless, oh and the Fed buildings but that's a whole other topic :twocents:

luckless
12-23-2015, 10:45 AM
A vast majority can do that now with or without PFZ's as they are private property. The only ones that couldn't would be gov bodies, local municipalities etc which cant on their own now and shouldn't be able to regardless, oh and the Fed buildings but that's a whole other topic :twocents:
This governor hates preemption and gun owners, in general. Leadership in the house and senate are no help, either. I predict that if this moves forward, it won't look like anything we want by December.

Jared1981
12-24-2015, 03:20 PM
This governor hates preemption and gun owners, in general. Leadership in the house and senate are no help, either. I predict that if this moves forward, it won't look like anything we want by December.

But, isn't the senate majority leader on the board of the states largest gun group?

Surely, he will be of help, right?

Leader
12-25-2015, 06:02 AM
But, isn't the senate majority leader on the board of the states largest gun group?

Are they the largest?

Or does that just sound good?

luckless
12-25-2015, 08:56 AM

Absolutely. No question about it. Just look at all of the great, pro gun legislation we've been given in return for our loyalty all these years. Ever since all those people that support the Second Amendment took control of the state house, senate and governorship it has been one huge win after another. "Broad brush strokes and bold colors" and such is now the norm for our cause. If it wasn't for the biggest gun group in Michigan working with our big-time pro gun legislators, we'd still be stuck with gun registration and convoluted carry laws.