PDA

View Full Version : Undoubtedly a very, very basic scope question...

jasona
12-21-2015, 09:37 PM
OK, might be a couple questions.

A couple months back, I bought a Cabela's brand scope from the bargain cave (.223 caliber specific, 3-12x, 40mm objective) and rings (for target shooting.) Had the scope mounted and bore-sighted at a local gun shop (didn't have the rifle with me at Cabela's.) Now, I think the first couple times to the range, everything was fine, but I've noticed recently that the reticle isn't quite in focus. It's not so bad that I can't use it to shoot, but I can't quite make out the marks for the 200yd etc marks. Is it possible that something has gotten joggled inside the scope? I can use the focus ring to bring the target into focus, but (obviously, or I wouldn't be writing) not the reticle.

Now, that brings me to my second, likely basic question, which may be the answer to the first question: Eye relief is presumably the distance there should be between your eye and the back of the scope, yes? So is it possible that my problem might be that I'm not in the right position to the scope, and thus the reticle is not in focus.

A few other details:

I wear contacts, and am very near sighted normally. I tend to have a hard time focusing on small objects in close, unless I take out my contacts.
The rifle is a S&W M&POR (.223 / .556, all I've run through it since the scope is .223)

This is my first scope (the rifle originally had an EOTech 512) and other than being out of focus, I'm reasonably happy with it.

Rootsy
12-21-2015, 09:48 PM
Ocular lens housing (rear lens set) should be adjustable to focus the reticle. Likely has a locking ring holding it from doing so.

04JRB
12-22-2015, 07:59 AM
OK, might be a couple questions.

A couple months back, I bought a Cabela's brand scope from the bargain cave (.223 caliber specific, 3-12x, 40mm objective) and rings (for target shooting.) Had the scope mounted and bore-sighted at a local gun shop (didn't have the rifle with me at Cabela's.) Now, I think the first couple times to the range, everything was fine, but I've noticed recently that the reticle isn't quite in focus. It's not so bad that I can't use it to shoot, but I can't quite make out the marks for the 200yd etc marks. Is it possible that something has gotten joggled inside the scope? I can use the focus ring to bring the target into focus, but (obviously, or I wouldn't be writing) not the reticle.

Now, that brings me to my second, likely basic question, which may be the answer to the first question: Eye relief is presumably the distance there should be between your eye and the back of the scope, yes? So is it possible that my problem might be that I'm not in the right position to the scope, and thus the reticle is not in focus.

A few other details:

I wear contacts, and am very near sighted normally. I tend to have a hard time focusing on small objects in close, unless I take out my contacts.
The rifle is a S&W M&POR (.223 / .556, all I've run through it since the scope is .223)

This is my first scope (the rifle originally had an EOTech 512) and other than being out of focus, I'm reasonably happy with it.

There is a nice write up on diopter adjustment in this thread:
Its geared toward FFP optics, but the diopter adjustment is still valid

http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5511-rifle-scopes/13699075-setting-up-a-ffp-rifle-scope-a-simple-psa-on-diopters

jasona
12-23-2015, 08:48 AM
There is a nice write up on diopter adjustment in this thread:
Its geared toward FFP optics, but the diopter adjustment is still valid

\/\/ww.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5511-rifle-scopes/13699075-setting-up-a-ffp-rifle-scope-a-simple-psa-on-diopters

I (finally) read the thread you linked above, and it turns out I've been doing it wrong (D'OH!)
I was using the diopter ring to focus the scope, when it should be getting used to focus the reticle...

Time to take advantage of the long sight lines in my neighborhood to see about focusing the site itself without losing focus on the reticle.
Now where'd I leave those directions that came with the scope, looked them over once, need to do it again...

JDG
12-24-2015, 06:39 AM
Does your scope have a parallax adjustment? It will be a dial on the left side, or an adjustable objective on the front, this is what you use to focus the target(remove parallax). The eye relieve should be set with you comfortably behind the rifle, in the power range that you will use the most. Eye relieve will change when you go from min to max power, but you should be able to adjust your position to get back on. Once you set the focus on the eyepiece, lock it down and forget about it.

jasona
12-24-2015, 03:00 PM
Does your scope have a parallax adjustment? It will be a dial on the left side, or an adjustable objective on the front, this is what you use to focus the target(remove parallax). The eye relieve should be set with you comfortably behind the rifle, in the power range that you will use the most. Eye relieve will change when you go from min to max power, but you should be able to adjust your position to get back on. Once you set the focus on the eyepiece, lock it down and forget about it.

No, this is a "budget" Cabela's brand scope, the front ring is locked in place. It does have elevation and windage knobs (top and side at the middle,) though, but those won't do anything for parallax. According to the manual, eye relief is 4.3", so I'm going to see about where that puts me. If it's too close to be comfortable, I've got room to move the scope back on the top rail (although then I'll probably need a different charging handle so I can get a grip on it...)

JDG
12-24-2015, 03:39 PM
On an AR, you usually need an offset mount to move the scope forward. Some times you run out of rail, hence the need for an offset mount.

Didn't really need the offset on this one...
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b278/JDG357/IMG_4387_zpsmdccmrin.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/JDG357/media/IMG_4387_zpsmdccmrin.jpg.html)