PDA

View Full Version : Help installing night sights on XD

TylerV76
12-30-2015, 11:30 AM
Can anyone recommend a place that uses a sight pusher or anyone here have a Maryland Gun Works XD sight tool that has done XD sights with willing to help me out (Ill pay for your time)? Ive got a mod.2 I want to install night sights on without marring the finish. I had a shop do my shield and they chewed up the rear sight and took off the finish by the front sight by punching them. Trying to avoid that again.

The rear sights on XD's are possibly one of the tightest sights on the market so a punch just isnt going to work. Ive seen an air hammer work but again I dont want to mar the finish.

Super Trucker
12-30-2015, 12:07 PM
I can say for sure to stay away from Accurate in Clarkston. I took an XD in there about 6 months ago and he destroyed/broke the Trijicon HD front sight, then said it wasn't his fault and charged me $45.00 for the install.
I went to Accurate because the shop I had used in the past had closed and I didn't know where else to go. I have since found the guy who closed his store and would recommend him.

The guy that used to own Mo's gun shop in Wayne has closed that business and now does gunsmithing at other shops in the area.
He goes to Gun Barn 2, Double Action, the Firing Line and maybe some others. He goes to each store one or two times a week. Long story short you drop off the slide and new sights and pick them up 2 or 3 days later. He has done 3 XD's for me over the years, no issues. Prices were better than anybody else also.

ETA;
Here is a link to his web page.
http://www.mosgunshop.com/

TylerV76
12-30-2015, 12:10 PM
Slim shorter guy maybe mid 30's? I ask because the guy that did my shield was at Double Action. I wont say it was anything terrible or something that really bothers me but I know if they tried that on the XD it would be a disaster.

thamm
12-30-2015, 12:20 PM
Most on XDTalk recommend XDMan. If you buy the sights from him, he will install them for free (for future reference).

http://xdman.com

"May the wings of Liberty never lose a feather."

Super Trucker
12-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Slim shorter guy maybe mid 30's? I ask because the guy that did my shield was at Double Action. I wont say it was anything terrible or something that really bothers me but I know if they tried that on the XD it would be a disaster.

He is thin, about 45 years old, average height, I think he wears glasses.

ETA; This is him.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/pat-morris-88839751
If that is not the guy you thought, tell them that is who you want to work on your XD. Or email him from his web page.

The person thamm suggested is highly recommended on xdtalk, his name is James. I never used him because it is at least a week turn around with shipping, I think he is in AL.

TylerV76
12-30-2015, 02:02 PM
He is thin, about 45 years old, average height, I think he wears glasses.

ETA; This is him.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/pat-morris-88839751

The person thamm suggested is highly recommended on xdtalk, his name is James. I never used him because it is at least a week turn around with shipping, I think he is in AL.

Ok thats not the guy that did my Shield so Ill look at contacting him. The guy in Alabama is, from what I read, really good but I prefer not to ship.

Thanks

Super Trucker
12-30-2015, 02:06 PM
You replied while I was editing the last post.
Maybe try emailing Pat before you drop off your gun, if you had issues from that location. His email is on his web page I posted above.

TylerV76
12-30-2015, 02:12 PM
Thanks, Ill email him and work out a schedule to get it done whenever he's there that way I can hand it directly to him.

dougwg
12-30-2015, 02:57 PM
easy....$10

TylerV76
12-30-2015, 04:12 PM
easy....$10

You use a pusher or a punch and have done an XD I assume?

thatguy423
12-30-2015, 04:23 PM
You use a pusher or a punch and have done an XD I assume?

Take it to him, trust me.

TylerV76
12-30-2015, 04:34 PM
Take it to him, trust me.

I replied to that post on my phone without paying too much attention to who posted it.

Doug,
No need to answer either of my questions, I didnt realize who posted it. Ive heard nothing but INCREDIBLE reviews of your work. Do you happen to have any sights on hand? I'm looking for the Ameriglo ones with the orange front sight or something similar. I mainly want a different color front sight than rears so its easier for me to pick up.

WilliamCutting
12-30-2015, 06:51 PM
I had a reputable gunsmith I found through this forum damage a Trijicon HD rear sight on a Glock during install. He also scratched the slide pretty bad. To top it off he botched the trigger job. Needless to say I was pretty upset so I understand your apprehension with letting someone else touch your firearms.

I have had aftermarket sights installed on a Glock 32, a S&W M&P Shield & a S&W 340PD at Top Gun in Taylor and was very satisfied with the quality of the work and the turnaround time. I do not know the process they used to install them but can say there was absolutely no damage to my handguns at all.

TylerV76
12-30-2015, 07:03 PM
I had a reputable gunsmith I found through this forum damage a Trijicon HD rear sight on a Glock during install. He also scratched the slide pretty bad. To top it off he botched the trigger job. Needless to say I was pretty upset so I understand your apprehension with letting someone else touch your firearms.

I have had aftermarket sights installed on a Glock 32, a S&W M&P Shield & a S&W 340PD at Top Gun in Taylor and was very satisfied with the quality of the work and the turnaround time. I do not know the process they used to install them but can say there was absolutely no damage to my handguns at all.

Yeah Ive got a completely bent ameriglo front sight sitting on my desk at work that a "good" gunsmith tried installing. He punched it so hard it bent the sight in half. I had to order a new front sight at my expense. Wasnt too pleased with him. Then getting that one installed the coating on my slide got marred so overall it wasnt a good sight installing experience lol.

thatguy423
12-30-2015, 07:50 PM
Yeah Ive got a completely bent ameriglo front sight sitting on my desk at work that a "good" gunsmith tried installing. He punched it so hard it bent the sight in half. I had to order a new front sight at my expense. Wasnt too pleased with him. Then getting that one installed the coating on my slide got marred so overall it wasnt a good sight installing experience lol.

You will not have this issue with Doug Holloway. He uses neither a sight pusher or a "punch." You will not be disappointed and your sights will be installed properly without any damage to your slide.

Super Trucker
12-30-2015, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't have a problem taking another gun to Doug, I just didn't think he did sights on XD's, so that is why I suggested Pat.
Doug would most likely do them while you wait if you set it up ahead of time.

Mike in Michigan
01-02-2016, 09:50 AM
I have changed many sights on XD's. Most of them require slitting the rear sight up the center with a Dremel cut-off tool to relieve the extreme press fit. I always use a sight press, not hammer and punches because most night sights are fragile and hammering usually breaks the element tube. Most, not all, aftermarket sights are manufactured a little fat so you have to fit them to your slide's dovetail.