PDA

View Full Version : Hurry up and freeze

mikethepike
01-10-2016, 04:14 PM
I want damn ice on the lakes

dramey82
01-10-2016, 04:48 PM
I think some will start forming this week.

donald150
01-10-2016, 04:53 PM
Better get a boat :boat: :biggrin:

matt11
01-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Better get a boat :boat: :biggrin:

I think he has a couple

mikeb32
01-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Backstroke!!

Ruger
01-10-2016, 06:46 PM
The big water needs 2 really good weeks of it in the teens.......the inland water 5 days and I'm out on it!

M.Schmitz87
01-10-2016, 08:41 PM
Dude, I have all my ice fishing gear ready for weeks now... can't wait to get out there!

hunterspirit
01-10-2016, 09:25 PM
Been slamming gills and crappie. No perch though.:protest:

I used to find perchies around say L'anse Creuse Bay

Oh come to think of it, if you know where the Mount Clemens Water Plant is....
There is ice there. I know of a parking space during the day and the owners phone number.....

Sledhead
01-10-2016, 09:51 PM
Should be making good ice tonight.

steve77
01-10-2016, 10:05 PM
My spearing partner and I wandered around with a spud mid week last week. Couldn't find anywhere that took more than one serious whack to break completely through. I'm sure it is as bad or worse downstate. A chopped a plug out of the ice to get a good look at the ice structure. 3 inches total, bottom inch and a quarter was good clear ice. The rest was very porous and soft. Tried windward, leeward and middle of the lake, all was about the same.

hunterspirit
01-10-2016, 10:20 PM
Mount Ghetto Water Plant had 1 1/2" ice with a foot of water underneath according to a buddy. My other buddy that lives within 100 yards of said spot says it's unsafe

Guess which one had fish ?

steve77
01-10-2016, 10:36 PM
Mount Ghetto Water Plant had 1 1/2" ice with a foot of water underneath according to a buddy. My other buddy that lives within 100 yards of said spot says it's unsafe

Guess which one had fish ?

Yeah, the lake here was definitely fishable. But we were only interested in spearing. I wasn't comfortable cutting a hole the size of a refrigerator door in the ice and sitting next to it as the ice flexed enough to leave my feet submerged by the water coming up through the hole. Done it before in my younger days, I'm less adventurous now. I might get bored enough to chase panfish pretty soon though, ice is definitely safe enough to fish with hook and line gear.

Musta Demoni
01-10-2016, 10:50 PM
Got a text from my mom who lives up in Baraga that Chassel Bay is frozen over. Didn't know it was even that cold up in the U.P., but now I'm planning a pilgrimage. Hoping to take a long weekend the first weekend of February... hoping the freezing temps hold or drop even further.

bkglad
01-10-2016, 10:51 PM
I want a solid 6 inches plus before I will set foot on water. I went out on long lake in lapeer once and fell through. There was supposedly 5 inches of safe ice. Luckily we were only fishing 5 foot of water and I'm 6 foot 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunterspirit
01-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Yeah, the lake here was definitely fishable. But we were only interested in spearing. I wasn't comfortable cutting a hole the size of a refrigerator door in the ice and sitting next to it as the ice flexed enough to leave my feet submerged by the water coming up through the hole. Done it before in my younger days, I'm less adventurous now. I might get bored enough to chase panfish pretty soon though, ice is definitely safe enough to fish with hook and line gear.

On Lacque Sainte Claire, you can spear pike AND Perch. The Spillway by Harbor Shore Apartments/condos, up on the sand in 3.5' of water usually works for pike.

Pond Scum
01-11-2016, 10:15 AM
Some ice is getting blown to the shore in Whitehall .... we need a cold, clear, calm high pressure night to get it to freeze over but all I see is wind forecast for the next week. This is really a disaster for me as I bet my wife it would freeze over by January 15th! There was no wager discussed but I'm sure in her mind she is thinking diamond necklaces and tennis bracelets. Sigh.

A couple of boats were out on the water fishing Saturday but didn't see any Sunday.

steve77
01-11-2016, 05:34 PM
I base my judgement of the ice's safety with a spud. I check to see how many strikes it withstands in the same spot before breaking through. I check every few paces on questionable ice.

hunterspirit
01-11-2016, 05:37 PM
Agreed.
One hit,no go for me
2 hits I'll move forward slowly

MSUICEMAN
01-11-2016, 06:50 PM
if I lost a lot of weight, I'd be a bit more adventurous on the ice. as is, I'm very cautious. give me 5" of solid ice in areas that I know (springs/current/rocks can cause lots of uneven ice) and I'm pretty confident.

Jackam
01-12-2016, 11:07 AM
if I lost a lot of weight, I'd be a bit more adventurous on the ice. as is, I'm very cautious.
The solution (http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?345169-Weak-Look-here-PENDING)

matt11
01-12-2016, 05:30 PM
The solution (http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?345169-Weak-Look-here-PENDING)

Should have saw that coming

Musta Demoni
01-12-2016, 06:04 PM
Should have saw that coming

Bad solution actually. Awesome workouts like ropes make you big and strong. Swing that bad boy too long, too often, and you'll be heavy and thick with muscle.

Ruger
01-12-2016, 07:56 PM
Bad solution actually. Awesome workouts like ropes make you big and strong. Swing that bad boy too long, too often, and you'll be heavy and thick with muscle.

And a hernia and slipped discs!

mikethepike
01-12-2016, 10:34 PM
Should beable to venture a bit by the weekend

Ruger
01-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Should beable to venture a bit by the weekend

Thinking the same thing, maybe the North pond at Kensington, if they'll let you out on the ice there. We used to hit it New Years Day and that little pond has record book bucket mouths in it and pike that will eat them!

Armed Fitter
01-13-2016, 07:46 PM
Thinking the same thing, maybe the North pond at Kensington, if they'll let you out on the ice there. We used to hit it New Years Day and that little pond has record book bucket mouths in it and pike that will eat them!

Is that spring mill pond?

Ruger
01-13-2016, 09:07 PM
Is that spring mill pond?

Wild Wing. We used to be able to park at the golf course and get to the main part through the swamp once it froze up. Now you have to park at the marina and walk over the road and its about a 15 minute walk to the North part of the pond. A few deep holes are out there.

MSUICEMAN
01-13-2016, 09:15 PM
never done the north pond.... if its decent ice maybe i'll try to trek back there and go after the slimers.