PDA

View Full Version : Renewal - 30 Days

gl08jk
01-18-2016, 07:00 AM
I reapplied on december 8th 2015 and received my cpl card in the mail on january 7th. Like others going in to apply i already had my form filled out except signature to turn in and pay was quick followed by going over to sherrifs section to get fingerprinted again. Received proper paperwork and then just a waiting game. From the day i applied it wasnt that long a wait of 1 month.

PhotoTom
01-18-2016, 09:11 AM
Just confirming…Saginaw County?

gl08jk
01-19-2016, 02:08 AM
Yes saginaw county for me

PhotoTom
01-19-2016, 08:45 AM
Interesting…the other report in this (Saginaw Co forum) was 5 days for a new license.

It appears that most/all counties have experienced a slow-down shortly after the December 1st law change went into effect.
At first, processing was flying.

I suspect MSP's resources got quickly slammed since prior to December 1st, all they did was run and forward their part of the background check, along with the FBI print search results. MSP didn't analyze/review the background checks, rather, they used to just forward them to the individual counties for the county Sheriff's offices to review, along with the gun boards.

Now, MSP has to have the resources/time to perform the actual review of all aspects of the background check reports and make the actual determination of eligibility for granting the license for the entire state. It is NOT an automated process, so I can see how this is resource intensive for the MSP now.

Of course, with the built-in provisions for automatic temporary licenses (new) and automatic extensions with no gap (renewals submitted prior to previous license expiration), it really doesn't matter how long it takes now. The only ones that will be adversely affected by an extended wait are those that renew between 1 day and 1 year AFTER their previous license expires since there is no built-in automatic extension or automatic temporary license provisions for people renewing in that time period.

gl08jk
01-19-2016, 05:40 PM
True. Another thing that may be a part of delay could be from being close to the holiday season and new year. Will be interesting to see how long it takes others over that apply to receive their cpl durin the year.