PDA

View Full Version : Moddifying a Yugo. SKS

siglover
12-30-2008, 07:26 PM
I saw a while ago an SKS that was in the for sale section. It was in a Tapco stock with a muzzle brake installed. I really liked how it looked.
The issue with mine is that I have the bayonet and all of the grenade launcher stuff on it.
Does anyone know if the large ringed segment at the muzzle can be removed? Can the flip up sight for the grenade be removed? How do I remove the bayonet when the screw has been punched in two places?

The main reason for all this, is I want to lighten up the very heavy barrel end of the rifle.

I also currently have the Tapco stock installed.

Thanks for any ideas.

wombat12
12-31-2008, 07:29 AM
Break out the Dremel tool! In theory, the muzzle break can be removed by driving out the pin and turning it off. On mine, I drilled the pin out (after breaking two punches) and still couldn't turn it with a fair sized pipe wrench and heat. Ended up cutting it (carefully!) lengthwise with the Dremel.
Grind the end of the staked end of the bayonet screw till it can be turned. The Dremel can be used to remove and contour the grenade launcher, bayonet lug etc to your tastes.

Now you have to deal with 922r issues. The Yugo SKS was imported as a C&R. By modifying it, you must bring it into compliance with ten or less imported parts. This will require replacing six parts:
Tapco mag- two parts
Tapco stock set- two parts
Tapco gas piston- one part
USA narked muzzle break-one part (see link in Russian SKS ad).

Make absolutely certain this is what you want. If you decide to sell, there is no way you will recoup your costs!

siglover
12-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I got the rifle for a song a few years ago at Knob Creek. The vendor had a line of people waiting to get one. So, cost is really not that much of an issue. Unless, the rifle is worth more than I think it is.

A question on the 922r. So, if I leave it original it is compliant with reg.'s. Yet, if I modify it I need to have U.S.A. parts? Am I reading that correctly?

Thanks again.

wombat12
12-31-2008, 06:18 PM
A question on the 922r. So, if I leave it original it is compliant with reg.'s. Yet, if I modify it I need to have U.S.A. parts? Am I reading that correctly?

Thanks again.
It's the government- it doesn't have to make sense! The Yugo SKSs were imported as C&R, thus legal with evil features, i.e, grenade launcher, bayonet, etc. As soon as you replace anything on the rifle, it loses C&R status and is subject to 922r compliance. Per ATF, a Yugo SKS has 16 parts, if changed in any way, six must be USA parts.

siglover
12-31-2008, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I try to stay up on laws. But, there are so many and they change so often, I get sidetracked.

wombat12
01-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Per ATF, a Yugo SKS has 16 parts, if changed in any way, six must be USA parts.

To clarify, the SKS obviously has more than 16 parts total. It has 16 of the list of 20 parts listed as "countable" parts under 922r.

genesis
01-01-2009, 07:13 PM
It's the government- it doesn't have to make sense! The Yugo SKSs were imported as C&R, thus legal with evil features, i.e, grenade launcher, bayonet, etc. As soon as you replace anything on the rifle, it loses C&R status and is subject to 922r compliance. Per ATF, a Yugo SKS has 16 parts, if changed in any way, six must be USA parts.
Actually it's just that no more than ten parts may be imported once anything is changed and is no longer C&R
check out sksboards and they'll answer any ?'s you may have
If you want to modify a yugo 59/66, you can change the stock, mag, gas piston, handguard and muzzle break and only have 9 of the parts regulated by ATF.
and yes, if you leave it in it's original form it's OK, if you even remove the bayonet, it's no longer C&R eligible and must have fewer than 10 imported parts (922r) (although there's a rumor you can take it off to shoot, but then has to be put back on)
enjoy your toy

wombat12
01-01-2009, 07:47 PM
Actually it's just that no more than ten parts may be imported once anything is changed and is no longer C&R
check out sksboards and they'll answer any ?'s you may have
If you want to modify a yugo 59/66, you can change the stock, mag, gas piston, handguard and muzzle break and only have 9 of the parts regulated by ATF.
and yes, if you leave it in it's original form it's OK, if you even remove the bayonet, it's no longer C&R eligible and must have fewer than 10 imported parts (922r) (although there's a rumor you can take it off to shoot, but then has to be put back on)
enjoy your toy
Minor detail, but above changes leaves 10 922r parts. Although the USA mag has three parts, per ATF, it only replaces two parts of stock 10 round mag.

siglover
01-01-2009, 11:23 PM
Ugh. What a convoluted mess. Thanks again for all the replies. All I need is the gas piston, and the muzzle brake. I already have the tapco stock and magazines. Although, I left the original top portion of the stock on because I can't get the pins out to put on the Tapco portion. Now, I HAVE to get that done. Oh, well. I'll just put the original wood stock on until I have all parts in hand.

genesis
01-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Minor detail, but above changes leaves 10 922r parts. Although the USA mag has three parts, per ATF, it only replaces two parts of stock 10 round mag.
that's correct,
stock is 1 part
handguard is 1 part
mag is 2 parts
gas piston is 1 part
muzzle brake is 1 part
total 6 parts

a 59/66 has 15 parts, minus the 6 is 9 parts
here's a spredaheet to show you what you need to be compliant. Click the box for what you change and it will tell you if you're 922r compliant. make sure you change it to the YUGO tab on the bottom
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=1632.0

Also, to the original poster, Tapco makes a go gas tube with the handguard already installed. It's a drop in part, is easier than punching the pins on the original handguard, is better quality steel and allows you to return to original handguard if you ever want to return it to it's original configuration

fb9
01-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Defiantly take note of the real counting parts vs the Tapco count. There are 3 compliant parts on the Tapco mag, but it is only replacing 2 parts --1 of them doesn't exist in the stock config and 'doesn't count'.

Ditto for pistol grip, and operating rod. Tapco likes to count those and can be confusing.
Technically they are on the list, but just 'don't count'.

That sksboards link is good stuff. Good luck!