PDA

View Full Version : HB 5442 Active shooter alert system

Tallbear
03-10-2016, 11:13 AM
HB 5442 of 2016 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2016-HB-5442)
Law enforcement; communications; active shooter alert sent to residents through various modes of communication including on cellular telephones; provide for. Creates new act.
Last Action: 3/10/2016 bill electronically reproduced 03/09/2016

Snowy.vtwin
03-10-2016, 11:28 AM
another costly bureaucratic nightmare...

Roundballer
03-10-2016, 12:31 PM
This is a garbage bill.

I predict that it goes nowhere and is not intended to go anywhere.

It is a prime example of an "election year" bill. Just something the (sole) sponsor can point to and claim that he is trying to make a difference.

Tallbear
04-19-2016, 01:22 PM
HB 5442 of 2016
Law enforcement; communications; active shooter alert sent to residents through various modes of communication including on cellular telephones; provide for. Creates new act.
Last Action: 4/18/2016 Analysis File Added

Roundballer
04-19-2016, 08:23 PM
And at the same time, it is reported out of committee with a recommendation for an H-1 substitute.

The H-1 substitute is what was analyzed. Substitute 2016-HB-5442 PDF (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28vt14jty5jzmijtvpfjknsg3z%29%29/documents/2015-2016/billcurrentversion/House/PDF/2016-HCVBH-5442-10808.PDF)

There are substantial changes that are not good:

3 Sec. 2. As used in this act, "public threat" means a clear,
4 present, persistent, ongoing, and random threat to public safety. A
5 public threat includes, but is not limited to, an act of terrorism,
6 an unresolved mass shooting, or an unresolved mass shooting spree.

I think that this portion would open the door, without repercussions, to "SWATTING" any person seen with a gun in the vicinity of a school.

Flash-hider
04-20-2016, 07:15 AM
I believe the legislators who introduced this a from the Kalamazoo area. I can understand their thoughts behind this but it is a knee jerk reaction to an event that took place that this legislation wouldn't have been useful at all. From my understanding there are many 911 centers operated by the various police jurisdictions in the Kalamazoo area and they don't seem to communicate well with each other. Having a centralized call center could have been beneficial as calls about the Uber driver came in all Departments would have been made aware of that guy, instead it was piecemeal information received within specific jurisdictions with no information sharing.

This is an example that you can't legislate everything and this, I believe, would get rather tiresome especially if you lived in a metropolitan area.

45/70fan
04-20-2016, 08:35 AM
I believe the legislators who introduced this a from the Kalamazoo area. I can understand their thoughts behind this but it is a knee jerk reaction to an event that took place that this legislation wouldn't have been useful at all. From my understanding there are many 911 centers operated by the various police jurisdictions in the Kalamazoo area and they don't seem to communicate well with each other. Having a centralized call center could have been beneficial as calls about the Uber driver came in all Departments would have been made aware of that guy, instead it was piecemeal information received within specific jurisdictions with no information sharing.

This is an example that you can't legislate everything and this, I believe, would get rather tiresome especially if you lived in a metropolitan area.

He is a Republican no less, surprise surprise

luckless
04-21-2016, 07:06 AM
He is a Republican no less, surprise surprise

That's our Michigan republicans! Just one pro gun bill after another.

Tallbear
05-11-2016, 09:01 AM
HB 5442 of 2016
Last Action: 5/10/2016 transmitted

Omni
05-11-2016, 10:26 AM
It passed the House, Great, another reason for my phone to make noise while I'm trying to sleep.. It is purely a pubilc alert system and has nothing to do with interdepartmental communication. Would they expect everyone to shelter in place or responsible people actually to go help? Somehow I don't think they would appreciate me showing up to "help" if my daughter is in a school with an active shooter situation, especially if it happens fast before any intel gathered. Law enforcement resources being wasted just like the security monitor in a lifelock commercial.

Flash-hider
05-11-2016, 03:45 PM
This wouldn't have been any help during the Kazoo shootings. But it is a feel good I'm doing something to protect the public legislation. I think people in urban environments will soon get tired of the active shooter alerts going off.

luckless
05-11-2016, 04:57 PM
It is either this or they would have to work on something we actually want them to do.

Another "thanks for nothing" piece of legislation.

partdeux
05-11-2016, 05:24 PM
One rep suggested that R leadership expected a certain number of bill submitted from each rep.

Tallbear
05-12-2016, 10:00 AM
HB 5442 of 2016
Last Action: 5/11/2016 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY

Tallbear
05-13-2016, 11:16 AM
**CANCELLED**

NOTICE OF SCHEDULED MEETING

DATE: Tuesday, May 17, 2016

TIME: 3:00 p.m.

PLACE: Room 110, Farnum Building, 125 W. Allegan Street, Lansing, MI 48933

PHONE: Corey Woodby (517) 373-1721

Committee Clerk

AGENDA

HB 5442 Rep. Iden Law enforcement; communications; active shooter alert sent to residents through various modes of communication including on cellular telephones; provide for.

HB 5449 Rep. Hoadley Criminal procedure; sentencing guidelines; crime of making a false report of an urgent and immediate threat; provide for.

HB 5567 Rep. Maturen Criminal procedure; other; recovery of certain costs for prosecution for a false report of a public threat; provide for.

Testimony only:

SB 927 Sen. Kowall Crimes; computer; willfully accessing of motor vehicle electronic system to destroy, damage, impair, alter, or control the vehicle; prohibit and provide penalties.

SB 928 Sen. Horn Criminal procedure; sentencing guidelines; sentencing guidelines for crime of accessing motor vehicle electronic system to destroy, damage, impair, alter, or control the vehicle; provide.

jeff s
05-14-2016, 09:51 AM
There is a way in Android to block all alerts, with the exception of Presidential Alerts

Tallbear
05-18-2016, 11:27 AM
HB 5442 of 2016
Last Action: 5/17/2016 Analysis File Added

DrScaryGuy
05-18-2016, 12:39 PM
Because I don't get enough amber alerts at inopportune times anyway.
Seriously, if i'm in the middle of a conference, I'm not going to be out looking for cars.
Similarly, if I'm in the middle of a conference, I'm not going to be worried about a shooting going on a few miles away.

The problem is that in many active shooter situations, the police have actively tried to NOT jump to the conclusion that it was an active shooter situation.
think virginia tech, where the guy went from place to place and killed people in multiple areas - with the police trying to keep news quiet.

So, what? I'm going to get an alert that there WAS an active shooter somewhere else and it's over already? no thanks.

Tallbear
05-19-2016, 03:45 PM
DATE: Tuesday, May 24, 2016

TIME: 3:00 p.m.

PLACE: Room 110, Farnum Building, 125 W. Allegan Street, Lansing, MI 48933

PHONE: Corey Woodby (517) 373-1721

Committee Clerk

AGENDA

SB 976 Sen. Nofs Criminal procedure; sentencing guidelines; crime of making a false report of an urgent and immediate threat; provide for.

HB 5078 Rep. Pscholka Corrections; parole; procedures for parole of prisoner who is determined to be medically frail; revise.

HB 5079 Rep. Pagel Corrections; parole; corrections code of 1953; amend to implement medically frail parole.

HB 5081 Rep. VerHeulen Crimes; penalties; penalties for removal of a parolee from a facility who was placed there as a condition of his or her parole; provide for.

HB 5442 Rep. Iden Law enforcement; communications; active shooter alert sent to residents through various modes of communication including on cellular telephones; provide for.

HB 5567 Rep. Maturen Criminal procedure; other; recovery of certain costs for prosecution for a false report of a public threat; provide for.

Tallbear
06-21-2016, 09:03 AM
HB 5442 of 2016
Last Action: 7/13/2016 presented to the Governor 6/20/2016 @ 4:06 PM