PDA

View Full Version : SB 0851 firearm liability insurance

Tallbear
03-10-2016, 11:19 AM
SB 0851 of 2016 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=2016-SB-0851)
Insurance; other; owner of a firearm to hold firearm liability insurance; require, and establish the firearms claims association. Amends 1956 PA 218 (MCL 500.100 - 500.8302) by adding ch. 49.
Last Action: 3/9/2016 REFERRED TO COMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENT OPERATIONS

LivinTheDream
03-10-2016, 11:33 AM
So now they're gonna MAKE us buy firearm insurance? The insurance lobby in Michigan must be awful powerful. We already have some of the highest insurance rates in the country. Legalized extortion....I'm hoping this dies in committee

Roundballer
03-10-2016, 12:48 PM
Oh, it is worse than just forcing us to buy insurance, it also creates another one of those "catastrophic" funds that will fund all sorts of actions against "illegal" guns. I also looks like it will create a way for the "Mommy of that little angel" to be able to sue (and get paid), as long as it was not "LEO" that did the shooting.

This is typical of this Senator, and sole sponsor: Coleman Young II

RDak
03-11-2016, 08:54 AM
Oh, it is worse than just forcing us to buy insurance, it also creates another one of those "catastrophic" funds that will fund all sorts of actions against "illegal" guns. I also looks like it will create a way for the "Mommy of that little angel" to be able to sue (and get paid), as long as it was not "LEO" that did the shooting.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gray Man
03-11-2016, 09:17 AM

Funny, I didn't see anything about an LEO exemption in this legislation. FWIW, I oppose this legislation, gun owners should not have to carry insurance unless they personally decide to for themselves. .

Caliper
03-11-2016, 09:26 AM
Also a bit of a "back door" registry.

Never mind that crimes are not typically committed by the legal gun owners.

brass hat
03-11-2016, 10:52 AM
(v) PROVIDE FINANCIAL SUPPORT FOR NEIGHBORHOOD OR COMMUNITY

ORGANIZATIONS OR BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS FOR PROGRAMS DESIGNED TO

REDUCE ILLEGAL FIREARMS.
And just who do you think those organizations would be? brady,bloomberg,ect.They want gun owners to be forced to fund the anti-gunners with our own money. Total garbage!

Roundballer
03-11-2016, 04:40 PM
Funny, I didn't see anything about an LEO exemption in this legislation. FWIW, I oppose this legislation, gun owners should not have to carry insurance unless they personally decide to for themselves. .
Second sentence first section:
Senate 2016-SIB-0851 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2015-2016/billintroduced/Senate/htm/2016-SIB-0851.htm)

Sec. 4901.
An owner of a firearm shall provide security against loss resulting from liability imposed by law for bodily injury or death suffered by a person arising out of the discharge of that firearm. This section does not apply to a governmental agency. As used in this section, "firearm" means that term as defined in section 1 of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.421. However, firearm does not mean an antique firearm as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.
That certainly would include ALL LEOs, as well as any "other" individuals that carries a firearm as part of the governmental job.

red

And for the troll that dinged me for actually reading the bill and giving my impression:

Why bring up LEO's in this topic? Just have to get in more shots on the Police SMH

Kiss my grits. Coleman Young II put it in the bill, not me. Step forward an discuss the issue instead of hiding behind the "reputation" feature!

bkglad
03-11-2016, 04:45 PM
Senate 2016-SIB-0851 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2015-2016/billintroduced/Senate/htm/2016-SIB-0851.htm)

That certainly would include ALL LEOs, as well as any "other" individuals that carries a firearm as part of the governmental job.

red

And for the troll that dinged me for actually reading the bill and giving my impression:

Kiss my grits. Coleman Young II put it in the bill, not me. Step forward an discuss the issue instead of hiding behind the "reputation" feature!

Boom headshot!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gray Man
03-11-2016, 08:41 PM

red

Nope. It involves the agency's having to buy insurance, not the individual cop. Nice try in your attempt once again smear Police Officers. Agencies would be exempt. And again, I don't support any individual citizens having to buy insurance.

But, you missed that point didn't you?

DEVIL DOG
03-14-2016, 06:50 PM
Can't wait to see the line up for Hoodlums in the "D" to buy insurance.

jack1943
07-10-2016, 07:32 AM
":tsk:"

jack1943
07-10-2016, 07:38 AM
At least we now know who to encourage others NOT to vote for next time around.

DrScaryGuy
07-10-2016, 09:01 AM
Can't wait to see the line up for Hoodlums in the "D" to buy insurance.

yeah, if people there won't even buy car insurance...

Snowy.vtwin
07-21-2016, 09:45 AM
Just for handguns or rifles as well?

So come cpl renewal time we'll need a proof of insurance? With all the serial numbers listed?

The end is near?

JasonJ
07-25-2016, 09:05 AM
This bill and resulting legislation has me all sorts of pissed off right now...

DP425
07-25-2016, 10:36 AM
Stop getting all worked up as if it's already happened- this is going to die in committee.

Go2A
08-29-2016, 06:39 PM
Section 4913 is scary! Essentially, it seems to imply that this insurance is not payable if you shoot someone without a firearm. I guess you're liable if attacked by a group of thugs with knives, baseball bats or bare fists. Also, the reporting clauses by the firearm owner appear to bypass the 4th and 5th amendments to the U.S. constitution.

Fair disclosure: I am not an attorney. I just slept with a law student once .😀

sigfan
09-10-2016, 09:55 AM
I am all for reducing illegal firearms. But probably don't support this legislation.

But this is crazy. The best way to carry insurance protection (PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR AGENT AND READ THE POLICY) may be to purchase what's called an "Umbrella Policy"....they cover you against pretty much anything you could possibly be liable for and $1-2 Mill in coverage is pretty affordable. Last time I had one of these it cost me $25/month. I got it when I has doing some major remodeling to my home and running a crew of unemployed carpenters with myself as contractor. Was pretty sure non of them had insurance.

Leader
09-10-2016, 03:27 PM
Lets pass a law requiring insurance unless you have a gun to protect yourself.

The insurance companies will love it.

sigfan
09-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Lets pass a law requiring insurance unless you have a gun to protect yourself.

The insurance companies will love it.

In this state they may not get a lot of takers.... lots of guns...

Leader
09-10-2016, 05:55 PM
Not enough

giqcass
09-22-2016, 05:06 AM
This is the primary reason I use this forum. So I can see what BS they are trying to shove down our throats. I haven't figured out who I'm voting for yet but now I have one more person to vote against.

EDIT: There is some language in the bill referring to the number of firearms which makes me think each firearm must be insured rather then each firearm owner. That sounds an awful lot like a firearm registry.