PDA

View Full Version : Scope choice

Nightstalker
07-03-2016, 07:57 PM
Would like some input on a new scope purchase. I'm moving up from a fixed 10x with mil/mil.<br />
Question being do you prefer more power, say 24x over 16x and is the ffp worth the extra 200 bucks.<br />
At this point I just shoot a couple hundred a year at known ranges but would like the option to do more. <br />
Vortex pst 6-24×50 is what I have been looking at, seems to get great reviews.

bcavanau
07-03-2016, 08:29 PM
I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP with the EBR-2C Reticle (MRAD) and love it. I don't really have anything to compare it to, as this was my first "real" scope. I too did a lot of reading, and couldn't find many negatives. I still have a ways to go to be able to do the math to calculate bullet drops, etc. but I have not doubt my rifle (Remington 700P in .308) and this scope will out shoot me for a long time.

The only negative I have is these are really popular, so be prepared to search for them, or wait a while for a backorder.

Nightstalker
07-04-2016, 06:19 AM
Do you use the ffp much, can't you get the same reading at 24x with the sfp?

EricF517
07-05-2016, 06:33 PM
No you won't get the same reading at 24 power. The ffp comes in really handy once your Barrel starts to warm up or you're out on a hot day and you get Mirage. Your wind holds we'll stay consistent even when you back down power to get the Mirage out of your optic. The other one you might want to take a look at also is the Bushnell XRS.

2muchgun
07-10-2016, 08:34 AM
FFP stands for first focal plane. SFP = second focal plane. Not side focus or front focus. It is not an adjustable objective or side focus, as you all seem to think. It has to do with the reticle either changing in size or staying same size as magnification is increased......