PDA

View Full Version : Reticle moves around on 1x magnification

Ibear1992
07-21-2016, 11:49 PM
I'm extremely ignorant when it comes to optics, so please excuse me if this is a stupid question.

I have a variable power scope. On the lowest power, if I move my head up or down, or side to side, while looking thru the scope, the crosshairs/ reticle moves with me for a bit. I had the same thing happen with my old crappy red dot (which was the first 1 power optic I have ever used) but I just figured it was because it was a cheap piece of crap.

Is this normal? Do I have to co witness my reticle with my front site? And if so, how the hell does anyone use this type of optic on a flat top AR with no front site?

I have not sited this rifle in with the new scope on it yet, if that males a difference.

cyclocross4
07-22-2016, 01:39 AM
It is normal. Don't worry about the front sight and just focus on the dot and target.

crankythunder
07-22-2016, 06:10 AM
Dear Ibear:

In order to give you confidence in your sighting system, lay your gun down on the bench pointing downrange.

without touching the firearm, make note of where the cross hair is zeroed in on.

Now, without touching the rifle, move your eye around a bit behind the scope and make note if the cross hair point to a different spot down range or not.

Sincerely,
Cranky

solarguy
07-22-2016, 08:12 AM
What you are likely observing is parallax. This is common in virtually all scopes and many red dot type sights. This is also the reason it is so very important to have a consistent cheek weld and consistent form in how you hold your rifle. This is also why a gun may shoot very accurately and consistently for Bob, but when Dave picks up the gun, it consistently shoots 3" to the left and an inch low.

Some scopes have a separate parallax knob to minimize this effect.

On a telescopic sight, one method you can use to reduce the parallax error is to move your head forward and backward until you get a little vignetting. That's where you get a little shadow around the edge of the scope, and the shadow is even all the way around. Boom, no parallax error.

The optics rabbit hole runs pretty deep.

Ibear1992
07-22-2016, 09:39 AM
Parallax, learn some thing new all the time. Thank you all for your suggestions/ responses. Not sure what I'd do without being able to ask my ponderings here.

JohnJak
07-25-2016, 09:20 AM
Parallax, learn some thing new all the time. Thank you all for your suggestions/ responses. Not sure what I'd do without being able to ask my ponderings here.
Becoming a member keeps the machine oiled.

Michaelk
07-25-2016, 06:32 PM
All magnified optics with non adjustable parallax have the parallax set to a specific distance at the factory. This is usually part of the specs of the scope. Most optics marketed for 22s are set at 50yds and most "rifle" scopes have it set at 100yds. Crossbow scopes typically have it set to some other distance also.

Many red dots are marketed as parallax free but I think that is only after some non specified distance but I have seen at least one red dot state that it was parallax free after 35yds I believe.

What this all means is that when you are looking at target at the same distance as the scope parallax is set to then you will NOT see the target move in relation to the retical.

As others stated, this is where a consistent cheek weld is important and always try to put the retical in the center of the scope to minimize parallax error.

VIGILANT
07-27-2016, 06:53 AM
“Parallax Free” isn’t.
http://www.breachbangclear.com/parallax-free-isnt/