PDA

View Full Version : recomend a 22 lr scope.

dirtmcgirt76239
07-28-2016, 10:38 PM
I want to put a red dot on one marlin 22 (probably my 60), and scope my marlin 25 bolt action.

What should I look at, I only really know a little about new nikons and old bushnells. I was looking at a nikon prostaff rimfire possibly ?

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/nikon-prostaff-rimfire-3-9x40-matte-bdc-riflescope.html?_iv_code=NI-RS-16329&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CNa5tpLfl84CFQmKaQod-RMO5A

I have heard allot of good stuff about vortex and good values, what do yall 22 guys use.

Also decent rings

and should I use the factory receiver dovetail or something like a bolt on rail ?

dirtmcgirt76239
07-28-2016, 10:41 PM
these guys sell marlin scope mounts not sure if one would work on a 25, I do not see it listed http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3603

Hot Bite Charter
07-29-2016, 05:40 AM
I have this on my Marlin XT 22. I love it ! http://www.opticsplanet.com/mueller-optics-4-5-14x40mm-ao-apv-rifle-scope.html?_iv_code=5M-RS-APV-MAPV451440

Ol` Joe
07-29-2016, 07:04 AM
The Nikon rimfires are good choices, so are Weavers line of rimfire scopes. I have a couple Vortex and like them, but mounted them on centerfires. Parallax and focal distance can be a problem with some scopes. You want a scope that will focus down around 15-25 yds and be parallax free (I know) at rimfire ranges. Most scopes designed for centerfires wont meet these requirements.

I would go with the dovetail cut in the receiver and forgo adding a rail or tapping. 22s have little recoil and the dovetail works just fine as a mounting system and is the lower cost method.

cmr19xx
07-29-2016, 07:26 AM
How far do you plan on shooting with your .22? IMO, 3x9 for something most people only shoot out to 50 - 100 yds is overkill. A fixed 3x or 4x works just fine.

I've got a Marlin 795 I dropped in a Boyd's stock with a rail that attaches to the dovetail and a cheap BSA rimfire 4x scope. Shoots fantastic.

ncs
07-29-2016, 08:08 AM
I have a Mueller side focus I move between my .22's. Nice glass for the price, sharp through the whole zoom range. I have a Dovetail to Picatinny adapter and quick release rings.

http://muelleroptics.com/category/products/mueller-scopes/rimfire-scopes
Dovetail to Picatinny https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068YV38K/ put one on each rifle.
And QD rings https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-Quick-Release-Weaver-Style/dp/B001GSADIE

My Marlin 60 is about as accurate as my 25, great rifles.

SuedePflow
07-29-2016, 11:31 AM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/541588/vortex-optics-crossfire-ii-rimfire-rifle-scope-2-7x-32mm-v-plex-reticle-matte

I just installed one of these on my father's 10/22 last week. So far, I find the glass to be better than my Nikon 4x, and I like my Nikon too. The Vortex offers more magnification than what most anyone would need, but it certainly doesn't hurt. I imagine my father's scope will live on the 4x setting.

dirtmcgirt76239
07-29-2016, 02:49 PM
How far do you plan on shooting with your .22? IMO, 3x9 for something most people only shoot out to 50 - 100 yds is overkill. A fixed 3x or 4x works just fine.

I've got a Marlin 795 I dropped in a Boyd's stock with a rail that attaches to the dovetail and a cheap BSA rimfire 4x scope. Shoots fantastic.

Target shooting definitely 50 yards, hunting squirrels maybe with the scoped one, might put peep sights on something as well. I doubt I would have any sort of performance over 100yards and not trying to push limits etc.

So definitely under 100 yards, mixed use.

dirtmcgirt76239
07-29-2016, 02:51 PM
The Nikon rimfires are good choices, so are Weavers line of rimfire scopes. I have a couple Vortex and like them, but mounted them on centerfires. Parallax and focal distance can be a problem with some scopes. You want a scope that will focus down around 15-25 yds and be parallax free (I know) at rimfire ranges. Most scopes designed for centerfires wont meet these requirements.

I would go with the dovetail cut in the receiver and forgo adding a rail or tapping. 22s have little recoil and the dovetail works just fine as a mounting system and is the lower cost method.

any rings you like that will bite in nice and not move on me ?

Ol` Joe
07-29-2016, 06:41 PM
any rings you like that will bite in nice and not move on me ?

I think most of mine are Burris, CZ ( CZs take 11mm rings not 3/8) or Leopold with a couple Weavers tossed in. None have gave a minutes worth of problems, no slipping on the dovetail nor does the scopes move in the rings. I'd go with what ever name brand you find at the best price that fits. Be sure there is no oil on the mating surfaces and tighten according to instructions.
Any of these should do.. https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/search?SearchTerm=rimfire+scope+rings

2muchgun
08-04-2016, 11:10 PM
I put a Leupold VX1 on one of my 10/22s and like it....

AJ1398
08-06-2016, 05:11 PM
If cost isn't a big deal go with the Leupold 2-7 rimfire scope. If you are on a budget, the Nikon line of rimfire scopes is the best bang for the buck.

LokiThirteen
08-15-2016, 07:46 PM
I have the 3-9 prostaff on my 10/22. It works great. It is overkill but as i mostly shoot paper anymore and my eyes are old, the magnification helps. Also have a Leopold 1-4 that is awesome. My wife has a vortex on hers that she loves. So i guess anything with a reputation that you like is the best way to go.

dirtmcgirt76239
08-18-2016, 08:20 PM
If cost isn't a big deal go with the Leupold 2-7 rimfire scope. If you are on a budget, the Nikon line of rimfire scopes is the best bang for the buck.

Its not for showing off, I do not think the gun is worth more than 185 bucks, I really did not want to skimp, but not aim to high and play above my rifles pay grade. It has to be good, paper punching, and can knocking, squirrel killing.

You think 2-7 is all I need then ? 3-9 is to much ?

dirtmcgirt76239
08-18-2016, 08:21 PM
I have the 3-9 prostaff on my 10/22. It works great. It is overkill but as i mostly shoot paper anymore and my eyes are old, the magnification helps. Also have a Leopold 1-4 that is awesome. My wife has a vortex on hers that she loves. So i guess anything with a reputation that you like is the best way to go.

I am interested in putting a vortex scope on something, and also a vortex red dot on one of the marlins. I have 4 plain janes, just slings and factory everything. I want a peep sight on one, a red dot on one, a scope on one.

What vortex 22 scope did you get ?

Ol` Joe
08-18-2016, 08:35 PM
I am interested in putting a vortex scope on something, and also a vortex red dot on one of the marlins. I have 4 plain janes, just slings and factory everything. I want a peep sight on one, a red dot on one, a scope on one.

What vortex 22 scope did you get ?

Don't have it as I like to use a lot more magnification on my rimfires if possible. I went with a Crossfire 4x18x40 on my CZ Scout, but this lower powered rimfire edition looks interesting if you have your heart set on Vortex http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/crossfire-II-2-7x32-rimfire-with-v-plex-moa-reticle.

holtian
08-19-2016, 03:05 PM
I use a Simmons 3-9 on my XT-22 and have it mounted directly to the dovetail, works well for my use. It was only like $40 on amazon and came with rings. Is it a Leupold? No, but it works for the plinking that I do. My buddy has the same optic on his 10/22 and likes it. I also have the primary arms 6x fixed on my other 22 and it works well too. But for the money I'd just stick with the Simmons. I use it at 100 yards all the time when its set to 9x power.

dirtmcgirt76239
08-19-2016, 09:06 PM
I use a Simmons 3-9 on my XT-22 and have it mounted directly to the dovetail, works well for my use. It was only like $40 on amazon and came with rings. Is it a Leupold? No, but it works for the plinking that I do. My buddy has the same optic on his 10/22 and likes it. I also have the primary arms 6x fixed on my other 22 and it works well too. But for the money I'd just stick with the Simmons. I use it at 100 yards all the time when its set to 9x power.

Like I said, I respect leupold, I would love one on my 308 mauser, or to get a 270 savage or 270 winchester 70 with a nice leupold, but I think its going to high for my nice but off the rack 25n. There are few custom parts, or people that do custom work on marlins that would merit me stepping up to premium premium stuff.

How do you like the 3-9 magnification ?

Do the rings bite in nice ?

aaron
08-23-2016, 09:49 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Y32XsMU.jpg

I use this Mueller and have been extremely happy.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/mueller-optics-8-32x44mm-side-focus-fogproof-target-riflescope.html

benzy2
09-13-2016, 06:22 PM
Buy a good scope, cheaper rifle or not. Your eye doesn't know if you're shooting a cheap rifle. Your eye will know if you're using a cheap scope. I'd be ready to buy a good scope for any rifle I planned to count on, (i.e. Hunting or God forbid self defense) and I'd put a good scope on any rifle I planned to shoot much, regardless of caliber. Time behind good glass is more enjoyable than time behind bad glass.

dirtmcgirt76239
09-18-2016, 09:58 PM
Buy a good scope, cheaper rifle or not. Your eye doesn't know if you're shooting a cheap rifle. Your eye will know if you're using a cheap scope. I'd be ready to buy a good scope for any rifle I planned to count on, (i.e. Hunting or God forbid self defense) and I'd put a good scope on any rifle I planned to shoot much, regardless of caliber. Time behind good glass is more enjoyable than time behind bad glass.

ok. I do not have a ton of experience with scopes, I mostly shoot at 100 yards, and hunt at less. Used to have perfect vison, then got glasses, and have perfect vison with glasses, but notch sights suck. Do you think poorly of nikon and vortex, those were leading the pack so far.

I of course do not want to waste time with a walmart 19 dollar tasco scope, or off brand ebay chinese crap. All my 22s are sub 300 dollar, not match quality so I thought at a certain point I am aiming to high, just buying a suuuuuper fancy scope will not change it is a stock marlin 22 that new is 279 bucks.

Any specific recommendations.

I am open minded, but cannot spend tons of money on it just to show off, if I cannot shoot better with it.

hunterspirit
09-19-2016, 07:16 AM
I have a Simmons 3-9 x 40, it was the $19.99 shipped one from PSA a couple years ago.Works just fine, crosshairs are very thin though.

smitdawg
09-23-2016, 07:17 PM
Just ordered the bushnell AR 2-7x32 and the leupold vx1 that's on sale. For $115 I couldn't pass it up. No parallax adjustment though.

xtrema312
09-25-2016, 10:15 AM
Just ordered the bushnell AR 2-7x32 and the leupold vx1 that's on sale. For $115 I couldn't pass it up. No parallax adjustment though.

where did you get the VX for that price?

smitdawg
09-25-2016, 08:36 PM
Grabagun......it was on found a deal a while back. factory rebate deal is good until sept 2.

HemiChallenger
09-25-2016, 10:24 PM
Did everyone miss this thread? http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?356306-22-rifle-needs-scope

xtrema312
09-29-2016, 07:05 AM
I have a Nikon 3-9 BDC rimfire on my 77/22 mag and the Nikon 3-9 target EFR on my 10/22 LVT. I got them for very good prices by watching for sales. There are real good sales on the rimfire scopes in the spring. There are very good for the price. The BDC works very well on the mag with the Nikon program putting rounds on target at distance. The EFR is great on the LVT for 75 yard and in work with HV ammo on paper and small critters. I have leopold, and the better quality Bushnell and Burris glass on various rifles, slug guns and muzzle loaders. I find the Nikon pro staff to be real good for the price. I have liked at other options and picked the Nikons. I have not looked at the vortex scopes yet but will when considering future purchases. I don't find 3-9 too much scope for the 22 rimfire. I have been running 3-9 for 40 years and countless varmits and game have been taken as close as a few feet and out past 100 yd. with no need in my mind for less magnification. For close range only and running rabbits I use irons or a dot. If I was using an optic for that kind of stuff mostly and had one gun, a 1-4 would be better. These rifles will do 1/2" or less at 50 yd with their preferred HV ammo so less than 3-9 wouldn't due the rifles justice at distance on small targets.

hunterspirit
09-29-2016, 07:47 AM
I have a Simmons 3-9 x 40, it was the $19.99 shipped one from PSA a couple years ago.Works just fine, crosshairs are very thin though.

The Crosshairs are so thin on the above scope it makes picking up a squirrel in a treetop nearly impossible. I found that out on Friday.:twak: