PDA

View Full Version : I want a new big safe from Tractor Supply

Coctailer
09-13-2016, 08:21 PM
How do I get it home? I don't even own a truck.....

I was thinking of buying the smaller Costco one only because the delivery is free. It's $799

I'd rather have the HUGE Cannon safe from Tractor Supply on sale for $999.

Why can't they just deliver it for free???

/end pointless rant.

Roundballer
09-13-2016, 08:46 PM
UHAUL (https://www.uhaul.com/Locations/)

You will have to rent a dolly to move it into the house, rent transportation too.

bkglad
09-13-2016, 08:48 PM
Big chain, a dolly, hook it to your car. Problem solved.

Tsc they will load it into a truck for you. A tractor with forks will take it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PhotoTom
09-13-2016, 08:57 PM
I bought my safe from Dunhams…2 miles away. I called Able Safe and they (father and son) came some 40+ miles, picked it up from Dunhams, brought it to my house and took it downstairs with a nice stair-climber device. I did consult with them first to make sure I didn't buy too much safe (I have an "L-Shaped" stair case with a landing)…he asked me a few questions and told me the maximum height safe to consider.

WELL worth the money…EVERY penny of it.

steve77
09-13-2016, 09:30 PM

I was thinking of buying the smaller Costco one only because the delivery is free. It's $799

/end pointless rant.

Isn't that what friends are for?

costanza
09-14-2016, 11:06 AM
TSC delivered mine for $100 to my garage...another $100 for MGO mover to put it in basement...The 6 foot tall Cannon is a nice safe!

SuedePflow
09-14-2016, 11:57 AM
What's the weight on the Cannon?

I've moved my safe twice in the past two years. It's an Amsec that weighs around 600 lbs. I've found it best to remove the door and carry it in separately. It makes the rest of the safe much easier to manhandle. I also found out that my local Ace hardware in town has appliance dollies for rent for $7 per day and they support up to 800 lbs. Harbor Freight coasters are perfect for sliding across carpet once it's in the house.

As for delivery, surely you have a friend with an open trailer. That's as good as it gets for transportation.

I don't have any advice for stairs as I've always kept my safe on the main level of the house.

DarksideSix
09-15-2016, 06:41 PM

/end pointless rant.

Is the one fro Costco a Big Horn brand? if so then get that one. The ones from Tractor supply are very cheaply made. That huge safe you're drooling over probably only ways 400lbs. I know when I went to buy one I could rock it and move it just buy pushing on it so I wouldn't consider that a safe. More of a glorified locker. Not trying to piss in your koolaid, they're just not a good investment in my opinion.

As far as moving it, if it's only 600lbs or so you can just have a friend or two help you. You can rent a truck with a lift gate for about $40 a day and a pallet jak for another $10. get a buddy or two to help and you're golden.

donald150
09-15-2016, 07:23 PM
Home Depot rents trailers like these

2yrche2hAGc

PhotoTom
09-15-2016, 07:33 PM
Home Depot rents trailers like these

2yrche2hAGc

They do?

http://www.homedepot.com/c/moving_supplies_equipment_rental#trailers

donald150
09-15-2016, 07:53 PM
They do?

http://www.homedepot.com/c/moving_supplies_equipment_rental#trailers

I've seen them in the rental section of the Pontiac store

45-9
09-16-2016, 05:54 AM
When Costco Big Horn is on sale for $200 off, you can add the White Glove delivery service for $200 and they'll deliver it inside your house wherever you want it and dispose of the box and packing material. Big Horn customer service was very helpful and courteous.

rdarabos
09-16-2016, 05:27 PM
i have a able brand safe 39 gun, my son and i slid it of off the pickup standing up down a laminate plank on to the porch , in the front door, onto a throw rug the was upside down, slid it through the house to my location, took off packing slid into place in less than 20 miutes, its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, just a little planning and know how good luck

Sticks
09-16-2016, 06:08 PM
deleted.

PhotoTom
09-17-2016, 07:41 AM
The wife just said she received an email from TSC for 15% off anything/everything in the store (max discount of $100) for Monday (9/19/16), 5-9pm.

Blue XJ
09-19-2016, 05:11 PM
i have a able brand safe 39 gun, my son and i slid it of off the pickup standing up down a laminate plank on to the porch , in the front door, onto a throw rug the was upside down, slid it through the house to my location, took off packing slid into place in less than 20 miutes, its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, just a little planning and know how good luck

X2. I moved my 450 pounder from the bed of my truck into my basement by myself and I'm a pretty small guy. Just plan out the move and it's pretty easy. Going up a lot of stairs might be pretty tough though

bkglad
09-19-2016, 05:18 PM
The wife just said she received an email from TSC for 15% off anything/everything in the store (max discount of $100) for Monday (9/19/16), 5-9pm.

Got that too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddie45
09-19-2016, 07:44 PM
Is it for your office? If so don't call me for help, and don't hold my suppressors for ransom either.

Coctailer
09-19-2016, 08:36 PM
Is it for your office? If so don't call me for help, and don't hold my suppressors for ransom either.

Whan I get another safe for my office, I'll have to pay a ton to get it in there.:spank:

This one is for my garage.

miscout
09-23-2016, 03:43 PM
I used a refigerator dolly. Strapped the safe to it. Tied good rope to both handles. 1 man on the dolly. 1 man on each handle rope at the top of the stairs to lower it down. Then I had 2 guys at the bottom of the safe on the dolly helping walk it down the stairs. It went easy could have done it with less help on the bottom effort. I had more than enough muscle moving it.4 guys got it off the pickup truck. The ropes on the handles made it smooth going down the stairs with not too much effort.

Coctailer
09-23-2016, 04:59 PM
I just need to push it from the driveway in to the garage.

My only gripe is getting it to the driveway.

Maxwelhse
09-30-2016, 02:32 AM
You might laugh, but call your local friendly roll-back tow truck driver. They'll set it down right inside your garage.

Again, laugh if you want, but I had a fully assembled 8x12 shed delivered to my house this way from 60 miles away. The seller paid transportation (and you would negotiate your price here too.. Just tell them to get to it "whenever" this weekend or whatever when they're not busy and tell them to call you so you can meet them at TSC when they're ready... I usually pay about $40-$50 for non-emergency vehicle tows under 30 miles and I can't see why this would be different). The shed guy also moved it all over my property on nothing more than 2 schedule 80 3" PVC pipes. Keep in mind, this is an actual building with 24" on center construction. a shingled roof, barn doors, and siding. It probably goes 800lbs or more that entire process, despite sounding crazy as hell, was no big deal at all. In fact, it was virtually effortless.

So... Call a tow truck, buy $10 of pipe, cut it into a few chunks, and you're good. Or if you can just push it around your garage and that's where its going to stay, skip the pipe.

AxlMyk
09-30-2016, 09:18 AM
I just went by Gander Mntn. and Menards yesterday to look at their safes.

Menards had a couple Cannons, but I wasn't that Impressed. It didn't help that they have a nice 18gun Cannon, with the keypad (cheap plastic) hanging on the wire and a foot below the hole for it.

Gndr Mntn has a really nice 18gun Liberty Lincoln w/tumbler combo. Just what I think I'll get. I was really impressed with it. $549 delivered to your door from the factory.
Instead of round bars, it uses nearly 1/4" thick bars 3-4" wide.

Made in USA
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Liberty-Centurion-12-Gun-Safe-Mechanical-Lock&i=732691

Roundballer
09-30-2016, 10:23 AM
You might laugh, but call your local friendly roll-back tow truck driver. They'll set it down right inside your garage.

Again, laugh if you want, but I had a fully assembled 8x12 shed delivered to my house this way from 60 miles away. The seller paid transportation (and you would negotiate your price here too.. Just tell them to get to it "whenever" this weekend or whatever when they're not busy and tell them to call you so you can meet them at TSC when they're ready... I usually pay about $40-$50 for non-emergency vehicle tows under 30 miles and I can't see why this would be different). The shed guy also moved it all over my property on nothing more than 2 schedule 80 3" PVC pipes. Keep in mind, this is an actual building with 24" on center construction. a shingled roof, barn doors, and siding. It probably goes 800lbs or more that entire process, despite sounding crazy as hell, was no big deal at all. In fact, it was virtually effortless.

So... Call a tow truck, buy $10 of pipe, cut it into a few chunks, and you're good. Or if you can just push it around your garage and that's where its going to stay, skip the pipe.
If the tow truck is licensed as a "tow truck" it is illegal for him to haul things other than license-able vehicles and trailers. If the truck has a weight rated plate, the story changes.

I noticed a sign in my local TSC near the biggest safe they had, "free delivery". I am sure that there would be some restrictions on that, but they do offer the service.

Maxwelhse
09-30-2016, 05:42 PM
If the tow truck is licensed as a "tow truck" it is illegal for him to haul things other than license-able vehicles and trailers. If the truck has a weight rated plate, the story changes.

Interesting. As you might imagine with a guy that delivers sheds for money, the story had some twists and turns I didn't mention. It was his private rollback tow truck (he wasn't a tow company or anything) and he did it and other deliveries on the side for extra money for his church. His name was Pastor Bob (yes "Pastor Bob", not "Bob"), and my shed was actually a resold repossession from a guy that used to rent to own them to people in trailer courts.

So, despite the man's unimpeachable moniker, it's entirely possible that this was done without much concern for details of the DOT regs. If a guy wanted to try it, he could probably ask the tow company if they wanted the job and leave the legalities up to them to decide.

mac3982
10-01-2016, 10:52 AM
is the door removable? a good portion of the weight is in the door, both of mine i removed the doors.

xyzijk
10-30-2016, 07:31 AM

I was looking at TSC safes too and the store manager was nice enough to tell me that if I waited till the Black Friday sale the $999 safe would probably be on sale again for $799, at least that has been the case the past 2 or 3 years he said. He also said the Black Friday sale would start on a Wednesday and last 7-10 days. Also said they price match for 30 days, so if I bought it for $999 a few weeks before the sale, they would refund the difference if I brought my receipt in. We'll see.

Coctailer
10-30-2016, 09:30 AM
I was looking at TSC safes too and the store manager was nice enough to tell me that if I waited till the Black Friday sale the $999 safe would probably be on sale again for $799, at least that has been the case the past 2 or 3 years he said. He also said the Black Friday sale would start on a Wednesday and last 7-10 days. Also said they price match for 30 days, so if I bought it for $999 a few weeks before the sale, they would refund the difference if I brought my receipt in. We'll see.

Hmmmm.....
I like that wide-body one that holds a bajillion guns. I think normal price was $1299

I'll probably get it on BF

m52a2
10-30-2016, 07:37 PM
come on guys, get out the chains, tow straps, chain fall, small logs & large round pipes for rollers and move the largest safe from tractor supply they are not that heavy ! just a few hundred pounds...also it helps if you were raised by a dad who did demolition of old barns and houses as a hobby...

JohnJak
10-31-2016, 08:07 AM
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv205/JohnJak_photos/7725c65e-61ba-40d8-b08f-ef4bd9c3de7e_1000_zpsyh47oz65.jpg (http://s684.photobucket.com/user/JohnJak_photos/media/7725c65e-61ba-40d8-b08f-ef4bd9c3de7e_1000_zpsyh47oz65.jpg.html)

intheburbs
10-31-2016, 12:15 PM
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv205/JohnJak_photos/7725c65e-61ba-40d8-b08f-ef4bd9c3de7e_1000_zpsyh47oz65.jpg (http://s684.photobucket.com/user/JohnJak_photos/media/7725c65e-61ba-40d8-b08f-ef4bd9c3de7e_1000_zpsyh47oz65.jpg.html)

That might not be a good idea with a 700-lb safe.

Musta Demoni
11-01-2016, 12:26 PM
I'd suggest getting 2 smaller safes instead of one big one. The kind that are around 400 lbs. dry are very manageable using an appliance dolly. Even the wife and I have moved ours a couple times up/down stairs. Anything heavier and/or wider and you're asking for trouble... hurt yourself, ding your walls, need to hire professionals... etc.

Just my .02.

SuedePflow
12-20-2016, 09:45 AM
Hmmmm.....
I like that wide-body one that holds a bajillion guns. I think normal price was $1299

I'll probably get it on BF
So, did you end up getting one?

I recently decided to upgrade to a larger safe and I scooped one up on BF. I completely underestimated how difficult it would be to move an 800 lbs safe into my house with one helper. I've already decided I'm not going to move this one out when I sell the house. Just not interested. Haha

Coctailer
12-20-2016, 10:07 AM
I did not.

Going to wait for thaw, then have Costco deliver one to my driveway.
I can get in to the garage from there.

sharpshooter8802
02-08-2017, 02:45 PM
You should check out Hoogerhyde safe and lock down in Grand Rapids, they do deliveries and their safes are much better quality.

trident32
04-17-2017, 06:13 PM
I too wanted a huge safe.

In the end I decided to buy a small safe and a big stack-on cabinet. I bought a small "real safe" for my more valuable items. Its "small" but has just enough space and I can hide it easier. For bigger items I eventually bought a stack-on 2 door steel cabinet where I can lock up the bigger and less valuable items (like ammo).

Denyag
05-23-2017, 06:50 PM
We moved the big ts safe into my nephews. Their hi lo to trailer, 4 guys, tilt trailer and safe up on its pallet, walk it to sliding door, used 1 inch PVC tubing and rolled it off pallet and on PVC to room. Two ropes guy on each end got it up over threshold. PVC was the tickett