PDA

View Full Version : Question on Keeping a Gun Safe in the Garage

jonnyc76
09-19-2016, 10:02 AM
I kept my gun safe in the finished basement of my old house. I have since moved and plan on keeping my gun safe in the attached garage of my new home until I finish the basement. The garage and garage door are insulated, but not heated. My concern is the garage going from warm to cold with the season changes and possible moisture issues. Anyone else store their safe in an attached garage? Any Suggestions?

45 acp
09-19-2016, 11:17 AM
I would not do it for two reasons
#1 Concern of the garage going from warm to cold with the season changes and possible moisture issues.
#2 If your garage is any thing like mine every tool someone would need to break open the safe is right there.
I would move it into the basement and work around it during the remodel work.

mikeb32
09-19-2016, 12:53 PM
I would not do it for two reasons
#1 Concern of the garage going from warm to cold with the season changes and possible moisture issues.
#2 If your garage is any thing like mine every tool someone would need to break open the safe is right there.
I would move it into the basement and work around it during the remodel work.

I agree with 45acp on this. Perhaps build a heavy duty platform dolly so it will be easy to move away from the busy work areas until you finish its final resting place, after all, you are an Engineer. :hide:

bkglad
09-19-2016, 01:02 PM
I have mine bolted in the garage. 2 reasons for this I don't have basement and all my rooms are in use. Been there for 2 years and my guns look great. Ya it's a risk, both my neighbors are retired and watch our house. If I had a basement it would be there. But you work with what you got.

I keep my stuff well oiled and get wiped down every time they go in the safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hunterspirit
09-19-2016, 03:17 PM
Wire a lamp socket and keep a 60 watt bulb going when it gets cold

Leader
09-19-2016, 06:25 PM
Wire a lamp socket and keep a 60 watt bulb going when it gets cold

How much heat does a 60 watt equivalent CFL or LED put out?

You surely wouldn't be running an incandescent bulb would you?

hunterspirit
09-19-2016, 06:31 PM
Yes I wood

gjgalligan
09-19-2016, 08:29 PM
Get a Golden Rod if you are worried about moisture in the garage.

BarnDweller
09-19-2016, 08:38 PM
Mine is in my barn, I have a finished basement but with my knees I only go there when I have to (To do payroll once a week). I have a room I built in my barn, its heated / air conditioned year around and has an alarm.

Roundballer
09-20-2016, 10:22 AM
Get a Golden Rod if you are worried about moisture in the garage.

All that the "Goldenrod" is, is a small 4~7 watt resistance heater. You would get the same out of having an incandescent night-light (4w) or small appliance bulb (15w) burning in there. And the light bulb/fixture is cheaper.

I would stay away from something as big as 60w, depending on the size of the safe, it could dry out wood and paper to the point of it being brittle.

hunterspirit
09-20-2016, 11:06 AM
60 w is for January/February weather

partdeux
09-20-2016, 09:03 PM
you don't need it in the dry winter.

hunterspirit
09-21-2016, 07:08 AM
you don't need it in the dry winter.

Ugh, yes you do

GarrettJ
09-24-2016, 06:07 PM
I kept a safe in the garage for 3 years in Missouri. Electric safe heater and disposable dehumidifier / desiccant (I use the disposable ones found in the "closet" section of Home Depot) were used the whole time. No issues with rust.

My bigger concern was break-in. The best way to avoid theft is to not let anyone know you have anything. I kept the safe covered, and had a big shelf in front of it so it wasn't visible from the street when the garage door was open. I wouldn't open the safe except when the garage door was closed. I also bolted it to the cement slab.

Maxwelhse
09-30-2016, 01:19 AM
I agree with 45acp on this. Perhaps build a heavy duty platform dolly so it will be easy to move away from the busy work areas until you finish its final resting place, after all, you are an Engineer. :hide:

FWIW, I move my safe around with a regular old furniture dolly I bought at TSC (Harbor Freight sells them too.. It's just a 2 wheeled cart with a strap). My safe weighs around 400lbs and I was even able to push it through my yard to get it in my basement walkout door. I think I'd get one to move the safe around as needed, and while they're both near each other during the remodel, I'd probably drop the pins out of the axle on the cart and store the wheels IN the safe until you get it bolted down in its home.

dewey8971
10-18-2016, 11:00 AM
I have had my safe in the garage for over four years now with only a goldenrod in it and no problems. I at least oil them once a year if I haven't shot them. No problems with paper become brittle either. Safe is bolted to the floor with some plastic shims under it.

NtheD_78
01-20-2018, 12:24 AM
I have had one in my garage (non-heated) for about 3 years now, I've always stored my firearm with a 4"x2" desiccant bag in there with it. Never had any moisture/rust problems whatsoever.

RifleGuy
01-20-2018, 09:21 AM
My safe is in a small office in the back of my garage. I keep the garage at about 45° during the winter and have a small space heaterin the office which keeps it around 50°.
I put a small light fixture inside the safe and run a 25 watt bulb to keep it warm and dry inside. I have a couple anti-rust vapor blocks in there as well.
Haven't had any problems with rust or moisture.

dirtmcgirt76239
04-19-2018, 05:19 PM
did you do it?

It would make me too nervous.

Make sure you understand dew point, and inside and outside temperature, inside and outside humidity and what happens when you do things the wrong way.

Guns are basically the only thing that would matter if they got soaked with moisture, and inside a safe is a disaster.

I would feel better with them just in a steamer trunk, foot locker, back of my closet than in the garage.

I always fear moisture more than theft.

Viking
04-24-2018, 08:42 PM
How much heat does a 60 watt equivalent CFL or LED put out?

You surely wouldn't be running an incandescent bulb would you?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rAcc1WBbE1M&feature=youtu.be

We use incandescent lights for reptile and terrarium temperature control along side it’s lighting, often because “heat bulbs” are too much heat. We also use incandescent bulb to heat a well pump enclosed outdoors at a cabin... incandescent has its uses. It may be more efficient to use a purpose built safe dehumidifier “heat stick “ but I haven’t looked at what one draws compared to well, 60 Watts.

Daniel44114
07-25-2019, 12:21 PM
Another vote for a golden rod, however in a high humidity enviornment like a coastal ( particularly saltwater coastal ) or lakefront home you may want to reconsider placing it in the garage. get a humidity indicator and check it on a regular basis.

A final suggestion...hide it in the garage, behind an old refrigerator box, or something similar. Thieves won't spend alot of time trying to steal something that they don't readily know is there...