PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand trouble

tcdoersch
01-23-2009, 12:47 AM
I have an M1 Garand that has worked flawlessly for me up until a couple months ago. It will fire the first three or four rounds fine, but once you fire that last round it will eject the clip and the remaining rounds with it. I thought at first that I just wasn't oiling it enough so I oiled it up really well, but that didn't help. I clean it thoroughly every time I shoot it and I can't see anything wrong with the individual parts. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

David Duczkowski
01-23-2009, 01:47 AM
is something wrong with the clip ejector? you might want to take a look, hopefully someone more experienced with these problems can help more.

it sounds like a really bazaar problem for it to happen on the same round every time. im sure someone can help you further, also consider talking with a gunsmith at your local gun shop, i would think they would be familiar with them.

Sorry for the non-help,
Cheers
David

Kimber45
01-23-2009, 06:25 AM
The first thing I would do is replace the clip latch spring with a heavy duty one from Fulton Armory. A weak clip latch spring will cause early clip ejection and 9 times out of 10 a heavy duty spring will solve the problem.

If that doesn't solve the problem take a look at the surfaces where the clip latch and op rod catch meet. Worn surfaces there will cause early ejection.

While you"re buying the springs from Fulton get Kuleck's "The M1 Complete Assembly Guide". It will show you how to inspect your Garand parts for wear.

Garands like grease. The rule is if it slides grease it, if it pivots oil it.

dfrak
01-23-2009, 06:46 AM
Good morning, tcdoersch.
I am no expert on the M1 Garand and fortuately, mine function fine.
Like Kimber45 advises, there are a few references on the internet to the "Clip Latch Spring" as a potential problem. I've never dealt with Fulton Armory, but apparently they sell a replacement clip latch spring specifically designed to address this problem.
I'm not necessarily recommending the Fulton Armory spring, just suggesting that this may be a good area for you to focus.
Good luck!
Dan