PDA

View Full Version : Romanian AK FTF

scottertrash810
01-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Has anyone else had this problem with their AK 47. Out of every 30 round mag I run thru it, I usually have 5 FTF's? Firing pin is hitting these rounds but only enough to put a small indentation in the primer? I have throughly cleaned this multiple times, and even boiled the bolt in water to remove any grease? All ammo has been Wolf, and the hammer looks like it is making good contact with the pin. Also been having extreme bump fire some times up to 3 rounds? but thats kinda fun. I never had this issue with my MAC 90.
Thanks Rog

Joeywhat
01-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Bump firing or slam firing?

If it's slam firing and you don't know the problem, have a competent gunsmith check it out. Slam firing basically turns it into a machine gun, and I wouldn't want to be caught with a gun doing that.

FWIW it could be a bad FCG causing the slam fires.

scottertrash810
01-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Bump firing or slam firing?

If it's slam firing and you don't know the problem, have a competent gunsmith check it out. Slam firing basically turns it into a machine gun, and I wouldn't want to be caught with a gun doing that.

FWIW it could be a bad FCG causing the slam fires.
Joeywhat I never thought of the slam firing, but you could be right. I went out today and I had one 4 round burst, still kept in on the paper though lol.

sixhundredrr
01-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Joeywhat I never thought of the slam firing, but you could be right. I went out today and I had one 4 round burst, still kept in on the paper though lol.

Stop talking and get it fixed. The BATFE doesn't like malfunctioning guns. Get it fixed immediately.

TFin04
01-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Sounds like you have a sticky firing pin. It isn't going forward enough some times to light off the primer, but getting stuck forward other times causing the gun to double or triple.

Take the bolt apart (you can use the punch from the cleaning kit), clean and degrease everything really well, and reinstall the firing pin DRY. There should be NO LUBE on the pin or in the channel. Put a light coat of grease on the parts of the bolt and carrier that are silver, and give it a try again.

RifleGuy
01-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Also, try lightly working the pin w/ emery cloth; just enough to polish it up a bit. Like polishing the journals on a crankshaft; you are not working the metal, just lightly removing any rough spots.

Emery cloth, NOT sand paper.

TFin04
01-23-2009, 08:20 PM
It shouldn't need any emery cloth just a good cleaning. The only time I would use any abrasives is if a good cleaning can't get it done. I know you aren't talking about taking off a bunch of material, but if its not needed, why bother messing something up?

Scottertrash- Take your bolt out and tip it up and down. The firing pin should move back and forth just by the force of gravity. If it doesn't, spray some brake or carb cleaner in it until it does. If the cleaner doesn't work disassemble the bolt and give it a thorough cleaning.

scottertrash810
01-24-2009, 04:11 AM
Stop talking and get it fixed. The BATFE doesn't like malfunctioning guns. Get it fixed immediately.
This is what I am trying to do Sir! And I am not to fond of BATF either.

scottertrash810
01-24-2009, 04:35 AM
TFin04, RifleGuy, Joeywhat. Thanks for your non demanding advice. The firing pin was sticky in the bolt, that is why I tried boiling it in water it seemed to be all right after that. I will disassemble the bolt and check it for burs, ect.
But after reading your input I am sure it must still be sticking causing the ILLEGAL burst lol.
Thanks my brothers in arms. :ak2:

Donzie
01-24-2009, 12:32 PM
your burst issue will most often be caused by the hammer not locking up.
it may be from a gunked up trigger assembly or a gas port/piston issue not allowing the bolt to lockup the hammer and may also not let the bolt close all the way causeing light pin strikes

sixhundredrr
01-24-2009, 01:41 PM
This is what I am trying to do Sir! And I am not to fond of BATF either.

Didn't mean to come off like a dick. Sorry. Just don't want ya to get in trouble by saying too much.

scottertrash810
01-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Didn't mean to come off like a dick. Sorry. Just don't want ya to get in trouble by saying too much.
No Problem. Thanks.

scottertrash810
01-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks every one for their input. I removed the firing pin from the bolt today and found a rough edge on the firing pin for the retaining pin! I removed this and will try a couple mags tomorrow. I will repost after I fling some more lead.
Thanks