PDA

View Full Version : AR Scope - Reticle question

Kuskoman
11-01-2016, 05:59 AM
Can anyone recommend a close quarters AR scope that has both illuminated AND non-illuminated reticle. I don't always need an illuminated reticle but when I do it's nice to have. Unfortunately, in a grab and go situation I don't want to be changing batteries and would like the scope to function with a standard reticle as well. Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Nickoli61089
11-01-2016, 06:23 AM
Trijicon has some battery illuminated scopes as well as some that are illuminated by Tritium. What power range are you looking for and are you looking for a standard duplex reticle or something that also has MIL or MOA dots or even a BDC for long range engagement as well?

tkurban53
11-01-2016, 06:34 AM
I love my Vortex 3X Spitfire, which works lit & unlit.

TylerV76
11-01-2016, 08:44 AM
I just got done going through this on my new setup and found some interesting things while looking. The illuminated reticle on some of the scopes is too thick imo. It seemed to cover too much of the target at distances of 50-100 yards. I looked at the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6, Bushnell AR Optics 1-4 with throw down lever, Leopold Mark AR with green illumination, a weaver and a Nikon P-223 1.5-4. The Nikon was the only non illuminated scope and was the one I went back to every time and ended up buying. I was hoping the illuminated reticle would almost act as a red dot for quick target acquisition but that wasnt the case. You may want to look at a non illuminated scope then an offset reflex sight like the burris fastfire or even mount it onto your optic mount.

I would definitely recommend going to a place like Gander Mountain, Cabelas etc that has them in stock and looking through the glass. I went in to get an illuminated reticle and walked out with a non illuminated one.

Danco411
11-01-2016, 08:57 AM
Positively love this scope.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-1-6x-scope-patented-acss-308-reticle-advanced-combined-sighting-system-paps1-6x

SuedePflow
11-01-2016, 10:13 AM
Hands down, Vortex Strike Eagle.

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Strike-AR-BDC-Reticle/dp/B00S2P2KKS

It has a very true 1x, so you can use it as a two-eyes-open red dot sight, or crank it out to 6x and get accurate shots at distance. Reticle looks great illuminated or not. I've recommended this scope to several people locally who have all purchased it and loved it. It carries a spare battery on it as well.

slapstick
11-01-2016, 01:29 PM
I guess I'm hard to please I've gone from an aimpoint pro, viper pst, strike eagle, and finally MRO. Of all those the pst is #1 and aimpoint #2

no im not squinting
11-02-2016, 10:54 AM
Trijicon accupoint 1-4 or 1-6. True 1x Trijicon tough. Tritium and fiber optic illumination. Only downside is when shooting into a well lit area when still in a dim area. For mine you still see the triangle or reticle but it is not illuminated.
Had a Leupold VX-R great light scope with motion sensing activation and auto shut off. Aimpoint like battery life. I just wanted a true 1x so if I replace it it will be a VX-6.
Have a strike eagle 1-6. It's nice and hard to beat for the price. I need more time behind it but as on right now I am not great with it. All others previously mentioned have generous eye boxes and are very forgiving. And I shoot better with my TR24G or the VX-R. The vortex is not as generous or forgiving but for the $$ it isn't bad. Battery life seems good but no where near the Leupold. Trijicon a accupower is nice too but the battery life is short.
Another good alternative is the Steiner PX4. Battery life is short but true 1x and nice reticle.

My next one will be a VX-6 or TR-25G.

Nickoli61089
11-02-2016, 11:13 AM
If you want a Trijicon optic send me a PM and I will get you a price for one.

Like people have said, for the price of the Strike Eagle you can't really beat it but remember, you get what you pay for. I had a Strike Eagle and sold it before I used it. I also had a Burris MTAC for a couple years and sold that as well for better glass. I now use a Trijicon TR25 1x6 and before that I used my Vortex Razor Gen 2 1x6.

People always say buy once cry once, and in optics that is completely true. I have compared glass back to back from $200 up to $2,500 all in the 1x4 or 1x6 range and with the same magnification level, the clarity and field of view changes greatly between them.

cyclocross4
11-03-2016, 01:09 AM
I have an Aimpoint Pro, MRO, And Strike Eagle and like them all for what they are. For what you are looking for I would say The Strike Eagle is the one. I keep it on my main AR and like it a lot. Illuminated or not it works. I keep it at 1x ready to go. Glass is great. I've shot steel out to 600 with it. It won't be like $3K glass but it was never supposed to be. Good luck and happy shooting.

Therealkoop
11-03-2016, 10:43 AM
Can anyone recommend a close quarters AR scope that has both illuminated AND non-illuminated reticle. I don't always need an illuminated reticle but when I do it's nice to have. Unfortunately, in a grab and go situation I don't want to be changing batteries and would like the scope to function with a standard reticle as well. Any ideas. Thanks in advance.

What is your price point? There isn't really a lower end scope out there that has daylight visible illumination. The MTAC and Strike Eagle are good scopes for what they are, but you are sacrificing strength, illumination, and a lot of glass quality compared to stuff in the 1k +/- 200 range.

Kuskoman
11-03-2016, 10:45 PM
I'm looking to spend only up to around $500 but it seems like there are some good options out there. Everyone of my contacts keep telling me about the virtues of Vortex but magnification dial seems pretty tight to me and I really hate unscrewing caps to adjust 1/4 click. They do have a lifetime warranty though. I've seen some cheaper UTG's but I have no idea how this would hold up. Still looking what Leupold and Nikon have to offer. Didn't think the MTAC had an etched reticle which is ideally what I'm looking for.

Iceman-Georgia
11-04-2016, 06:22 AM
Hands down, Vortex Strike Eagle.

It has a very true 1x, so you can use it as a two-eyes-open red dot sight, or crank it out to 6x and get accurate shots at distance. Reticle looks great illuminated or not. I've recommended this scope to several people locally who have all purchased it and loved it. It carries a spare battery on it as well.
+1 for the Strike Eagle. With cantilever mount, I'm in for about $480. For the price point, it is hard to beat.

no im not squinting
11-04-2016, 07:53 AM
Primary arms had a sale on that package a few months ago. Hate to say it but you over paid by about $ 150. Should be some Black Friday deals coming.

I am with Nick and Koop. It's nice but you do give up some things, mine is relegated to a more recreational, non SHTF, no longer being used in 3 gun rifle.

Look at Steiners 1-4 as well.

Therealkoop
11-04-2016, 08:20 AM
At the 500 dollar price point you have a choice to make. Do you want a high quality red dot, or do you want a mid to low end variable?

If you want magnification, at 500 there are A LOT of variables to consider, but if I had to make a recommendation I would stick to the strike eagle, mtac, or possibly a viper PST. I don't think the strike eagle is a great scope to be honest, I got one for free and got rid of it, but at a sub 300 dollar price point and vortexes warranty its hard to beat. The glass is poor, its kinda chinsy and the illumination isn't great, but as a full package the thing works and will get the job done. The viper PST will only be a 1-4, but it still has an etched reticle, the build quality is higher, and the glass is a bit better. Both are a sad shadow of the greatness that is the vortex 1-6 razor. at 1300 street price.

The MTAC is a solid performer and has always been a great bang for your buck optic in 1-4. The illumination is what I would consider straight up unreliable however, and doesn't seem to tolerate high temperatures very well or last very long.

There are other companies out there, such as PA or Atibal that I have limited experience with. Atibal seems to be the new kid and is a Chinese importer (The strike eagle is made in the same factory), but doesn't have the community support and CS reputation that Vortex has. PA scopes seem to be specced lower than some other chinese manufacture scopes, and Ive seen a large number of them break under stress.

If your price point goes up, or you want to look into red dot options (Trijicon MRO), contact myself or Nick from earlier in this thread and we can get you on the Line with Trijicon and find something out. If you move your price point to 1000, along with our connections, it opens up a lot of options for high quality and robust variables.