PDA

View Full Version : Prismatic Scope Considerations

Scandiacus
11-02-2016, 03:46 PM
I've never purchased or used an optic before, but was in the market for a red dot sight with no magnification for my Ruger AR556. However, thanks to my pesky astigmatism, I'm starting to doubt if I want to deal with the potential blurriness issues a RDS presents.

So I've tentatively settled on a 1x prismatic scope like the Vortex Spitfire 1x (https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-SPR-1301-Spitfire-Reticle/dp/B00HYRGOQQ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1478066848&sr=8-5&keywords=prismatic+sight#customerReviews). I'm concerned that neither of the typical mounting heights (1/3 or full cotwitness height) will elevate the scope enough to clear the front sight - since cowitnessing is apparently an exercise in futility with a prismatic, I really don't want the front sight obscuring the view, however I don't want to have to remove/replace the front sight either.

Sow my question is, would an F-height front sight significantly obscure the view through a 1x prismatic with full cowitness mounts? What considerations are there for a taller mount? If a taller mount would work, I'm tempted to just mount on top of a detachable carry handle so that I can also preserve BUIS functionality - I know that's less important on an optic that can work even with dead batteries, but I've been using irons for years and feel more comfortable with having them available if needed. Along those lines, can anyone recommend a quality detachable carry handle, preferably under $100? Any related advice for this optics and AR newb, or options I haven't considered?

Thanks!

Scandiacus
11-02-2016, 10:50 PM
Nevermind, made up my mind. :whacko:

Higher mount would be too high over bore axis for my taste, and decided a quick detach is a better way to handle backup irons for me. And I'll just deal with the front sight hanging out in my visual field at a 1/3 lower witness.

Closing thread.