PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Mod 270 Tube Removal

MI2600
01-25-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm disassembling a Winchester Model 270, .22 pump. I'm stymied by the cartridge tube under the barrel. I punched the pin out of the bracket (for lack of a better term) at the end of the barrel, but how does the bracket come loose? Does it slide to the side and then off?

I'm guessing that this type tube was used on several models of the lever, pump, and auto guns.

Anyone help?

Mike in Michigan
01-25-2009, 06:50 PM
I'm disassembling a Winchester Model 270, .22 pump. I'm stymied by the cartridge tube under the barrel. I punched the pin out of the bracket (for lack of a better term) at the end of the barrel, but how does the bracket come loose? Does it slide to the side and then off?

I'm guessing that this type tube was used on several models of the lever, pump, and auto guns.

Anyone help?
The mag tube retainer is usually secured to the barrel in a dovetailed slot, like a sight base. Sometimes they can be real buggers to get loose. Tap to side using brass punch.
Mike

MI2600
01-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Mike...to my rescue again it seems.

Yes, the tube bracket is dovetailed on the the barrel. But, there is also a pressed pin through the bracket.

MI2600
01-28-2009, 12:21 AM
Mike,

I tried tapping on the bracket as you suggested. It wouldn't move at all. So, I took the rifle to a local gun shop here in Muskegon today. He was listed as being a "gunsmith" in the yellow pages. This guy couldn't find his tush with both hands and said he was afraid to touch it.

Anyway, tonight, after looking the situation over, I placed the muzzle on the bench and gently tapped downward on cartridge loading slot with a wooden dowel and mallet. The tube just fell out! It's just a press fit.

Think I'll put a gunsmith sign out on my lawn! Can't be any worse than my local expertise.

Mike in Michigan
01-28-2009, 09:52 PM
The cross pin in the bracket comes out first, then the tube goes out toward the muzzle, then the bracket is tapped out of the barrel dovetail sideways.

who dat
01-28-2009, 10:07 PM
You need to forward this info to Gary.:whistle: :biggrin: :mischeif: :stirpot:

MI2600
01-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Yes, Gary "The Gunsmith". I'll never go back there.