PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 question

justinj
01-25-2009, 07:47 PM
Ok so I am new to the AR-15 club.....I was wondering, can I get a new lower for it and then buy the kit so that I can have single shot, 3 shot burst, and full auto in that lower that can just be swapped out for the stock lower?

I really dont want to change/molest the stock lower for a few reasons.

1- If I ever decide to sell I can put it back to stock form
2- For transporting, if I get pulled over with the rifle in the truck and it gets looked at, figure there will be less issues with the stock lower, rather than the full auto lower installed.

Can anyone tell me what would be the best lower and full auto kit to buy? I have the bushmaster A3....I dont want to spend a bunch of money, but I would be happy with good mid range products.

Thanks in advance for any help!:biggrin:

Joeywhat
01-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Well, full auto and "don't want to spend a ton of money" is sort of an oxymoron. Getting a full auto sear/other parts will probably run into the thousands of dollars (or damn close, at least), and that's JUST for the full auto parts. Then factor in the ATF tax and paperwork.

You'll need a "low shelf" lower for the full auto parts...that's about all I know. That and buying a drop in sear will probably cost as much as a fully built M16.

justinj
01-25-2009, 08:05 PM
i thought I saw a full auto M16 kit on gunbroker for 110????

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=121323831

justinj
01-25-2009, 08:06 PM
so 110 for the kit, 150 or so for the lower....260 in total...am I wrong?

Joeywhat
01-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Is it registered with the BATFE?

justinj
01-25-2009, 08:14 PM
my gun? just got it yesterday so yes?

Joeywhat
01-25-2009, 08:18 PM
no, the full auto parts.

justinj
01-25-2009, 08:20 PM
oh, doesnt say on the listing.

would they have to be? they are just parts...

Joeywhat
01-25-2009, 08:24 PM
In order to own a full auto gun it has to be registered, and there hasn't been any registered parts made after 1986 (that civilians can own). That's why you pay so much. Buying those parts and installing them gets you a couple ten years in federal pound-you-in-the-ass prison.

You didn't think it would be that easy, did you ;)

justinj
01-25-2009, 08:27 PM
thats why i am here asking :thumbup:

Joeywhat
01-25-2009, 08:29 PM
If you REALLY want full auto expect to spend about $10,000 or so (at least) including the ATF tax, and you'll also need your local LE agency to sign off on you owning the MG. Alternatively you can start a trust to get around that.

A lot of info over at ar15.com.

darktide
01-25-2009, 09:27 PM
for a Happy switch on an AR, you'll be spending:

~11-14k for a Drop in Auto Sear (RDIAS)

You're looking at 13-17k for a quality Registered Receiver.

or, for the economical minds--- a Lightning link for $4-9k, which is just used to manipulate the disconnector of your gun to go Full auto...

Not to mention waiting a good 3-5 months for the ATF to approve your purchase before you can even pick up the rig...

If only it were as easy as buying the burst kits for a few c-notes =)

cjmatt
01-28-2009, 03:52 PM
youre better off building yourself a cool semi-auto, then modifying it and smoothing out the trigger group so that it will bumpfire easily. that will give you the full-auto ammo wasting ability and keep you legal

darktide
01-28-2009, 04:00 PM
I don't quite understand the love of the happy switch... yes... it has a cool-factor. But honestly, how useful is it? How often are you going to need to lay down an area of cover fire... "THEM DAMN SQUIRRELS CANNOT HAVE THIS BIRD_SEED---- KEEP EM BACK EARL!"... A skilled person with a good semi-rifle is SO much more effective ... oh well....

I see Registered autos as more of an investment than an actual useful item... so if you're buying a reg'd Uzi for $5500 and selling it a couple years later for $7500...even after you've done a few mag-dumps... then i can see the use =)

esq_stu
01-28-2009, 04:56 PM
In order to own a full auto gun it has to be registeredIf you possess a gun that will fit the part, you will need ATF approval just to possess the part.