PDA

View Full Version : Building an AR15 with a 80% lower.

nmontei
11-07-2016, 11:18 PM
Hey,
I'm building an AR15 and planning on using an 80% lower but have a question for the experts. If I build this gun and 3 years down the road decide I want to sell it can I? Since I'm using an 80% lower there is no serial number. What brand should I use? I was looking at Daytona Tactical.

Thanks,
Nick

special reserve
11-08-2016, 07:27 AM
If I may, I'd like to jump in and piggy back this thread. I have an 80% lower on its way and I'd like to do the same thing as the OP but I'd like to use mine to build an AR pistol. Do I need a serial #? What if I sell it down the road? Do I need to register it? What happens if I'm stopped with it? I don't want to mess up the original thread so if this is out of line I'll delete and start my own. Thank you

JasonJ
11-08-2016, 09:11 AM
I am not a lawyer..so take that disclaimer for what it is. I'll answer only what I can...

A rifle built from an 80% lower does not need to be registered, nor does it need to be serialized for your ownership and use. If 3 years later you want to sell it, it must have a permanent serial number assigned. Then the rifle sale proceeds as normal.

For an AR pistol, since all pistols/handguns need to be registered in MI, this means you'd have to do so. No one will know if you havent, unless law enforcement checks into it after somehow seeing you with an unserialized pistol... doubtful, but possible. This is the area I'm fuzzy on.. as I just assume that you would be required to serialize and register it as a pistol with the State. Same rules for sale apply as to the rifle scenario.

As to brands, it doesnt matter... its an 80% lower... they're almost all billets, so just pick one and finish it. One AR lower that's milspec should be the same as another that is milspec. I'd just be sure its 7075-T6 aluminum.

JasonJ
11-08-2016, 09:12 AM
I just saw a few threads going in the Legal Beagle section.. might want to read those too..

special reserve
11-08-2016, 03:04 PM
I am not a lawyer..so take that disclaimer for what it is. I'll answer only what I can...

A rifle built from an 80% lower does not need to be registered, nor does it need to be serialized for your ownership and use. If 3 years later you want to sell it, it must have a permanent serial number assigned. Then the rifle sale proceeds as normal.

For an AR pistol, since all pistols/handguns need to be registered in MI, this means you'd have to do so. No one will know if you havent, unless law enforcement checks into it after somehow seeing you with an unserialized pistol... doubtful, but possible. This is the area I'm fuzzy on.. as I just assume that you would be required to serialize and register it as a pistol with the State. Same rules for sale apply as to the rifle scenario.

As to brands, it doesnt matter... its an 80% lower... they're almost all billets, so just pick one and finish it. One AR lower that's milspec should be the same as another that is milspec. I'd just be sure its 7075-T6 aluminum.

I have an out of state CPL so I don't need to register but most hand guns have a serial number on them. An 80% lower wouldn't? That's my dilemma. Thank you for your response

tlagnhoj
11-10-2016, 11:43 AM
<deleted>

DV8r
11-10-2016, 04:02 PM
Don't want to hijack this but do you have a source for an 80% aluminum lower? All I have seen are for composite units.

Danco411
11-10-2016, 04:10 PM
I get mine from these guys. I use their finished and 80% and they lock up tight on any upper.

http://store.fd-defense.com/collections/lowers

special reserve
11-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Special reserve: Good luck with that out of State CPL thing. I hope it works out for you! I guess I value my freedom a little more than you. ONE conviction for possessing an unregistered pistol you loose your in state & out of state CLPs, your right to own a firearm, potentially be incarcerated.

Please provide a cite that says I will lose my CPL, my right to own a firearm and be incarcerated if I'm actually convicted of possessing an unregistered pistol? Not trying to be confrontational. Just looking for the correct info. Thanks for responding

DV8r
11-10-2016, 07:28 PM
I get mine from these guys. I use their finished and 80% and they lock up tight on any upper.

http://store.fd-defense.com/collections/lowers
Thanks.
One on order, if I like it I'll get a five pack.

jmonarch
11-11-2016, 11:11 AM
Please provide a cite that says I will lose my CPL, my right to own a firearm and be incarcerated if I'm actually convicted of possessing an unregistered pistol? Not trying to be confrontational. Just looking for the correct info. Thanks for responding

Didn't sound right to me either. I thought that failing to register was a $250 fine.

RevSpongeBobSP
04-04-2017, 12:50 AM
If I purchus an 80% lower, can I have someone else finish the mill work, or does that fall on me?

Remo
04-04-2017, 07:11 AM
If I purchus an 80% lower, can I have someone else finish the mill work, or does that fall on me?

No, you must do the work. You can legally manufacture your own firearms, however others without license can not manufacture firearms for you.

barnumb
04-07-2017, 08:23 AM
It appears they no longer sell 80% lowers.

Remo
04-07-2017, 08:47 AM
It appears they no longer sell 80% lowers.

Who is they?