PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Muzzleloader scope?

pilatusbahn
12-01-2016, 12:09 PM
Am soon to be the owner of the T/C Pro Hunter Muzzleloader.
Any suggestions for a scope to mount with it?

Cabelas (name brand)
Nikon Inline
Leopold Ultimateslam
Leopold VX-I
T/C Hawken
Weaver Grand Slam

Any input on these.
Seem to be the most common, most readily available.

And suggestion on rings?

Any pro's/con's or DO NOT BUY INFO would be appreciated!

FowlWeather
12-02-2016, 11:43 AM
There are a lot of good scope brands around today. Given all of the choices, it is hard to go wrong with a Leupold. The UltimateSlam would be my pick out of the ones you listed. The 2-7 is under 10 ounces and the 3-9 is only 11 ounces.

DNZ one-piece scope mounts are super solid and pretty light, but they are ugly. They are great choice if the gun doesn't come with a base. If the gun comes with a Weaver/picatinny base, then I would suggest Leupold PRW/QRW, Warne Maxima, or Burris Signature Zee rings.

xtrema312
12-02-2016, 05:35 PM
Warne Maxima rings. Get the non QD and they are not that much in price. Vertical split is a good design.

My preferred for this type gun is a 2-7. VX-1, redfield revalution, Burris E1, Burris Fullfield 2, vortex diamond back or cross fire 2 are ones I have looked at alot. I unwrapped a revalution an hour ago. So far I like it. Great eye box and relief compared to some others. I have an E1 on a 450 BM this year for deer season. I have no complaints. I like the ballistics cross hair system and it works well for the gun and would work well for a ML with hold over and wind drift points. Cabelas had a great deal on the 3-9 E1 in 30 mm.

xtrema312
12-02-2016, 05:52 PM
I sold a couple 3-9 VX-I's a while back after putting Bushnell legend 2-7 HD's on the guns.

OTG1958
12-02-2016, 10:11 PM
I'm really pleased with the Leupold UltimateSlam

pilatusbahn
12-07-2016, 08:28 AM
Guys-
Thanks for the information.
Ended up with a Nikon Slughunter 200
Couldn't pass up the deal.....actually from another MGO member.

Scope is going onto a T/C Pro Hunter - so it already has the base.
Otherwise, I would definitely do the DMZ mount.
Have that on 2 other rifles and love them for simplicity and quality.

Now onto the rings....
Will look at the Warne Maxima's & Leopold PRW.
Checking local gun shops this weekend.

04JRB
12-09-2016, 10:12 AM
Guys-
Thanks for the information.
Ended up with a Nikon Slughunter 200
Couldn't pass up the deal.....actually from another MGO member.

Scope is going onto a T/C Pro Hunter - so it already has the base.
Otherwise, I would definitely do the DMZ mount.
Have that on 2 other rifles and love them for simplicity and quality.

Now onto the rings....
Will look at the Warne Maxima's & Leopold PRW.
Checking local gun shops this weekend.

A buddy has one of the slug hunters, and an Omega on his smoke poles, he is very pleased with them.

I have Warne Maxima rings on my precision rifle, they are the QD version though. I have had the optic off the rifle a few times and reinstalled and only one time I needed to adjust .1 mil (one click .36") of windage to get back on zero. I just happened to have them laying around, they wouldn't have been my first choice (Seekins or Vortex matched are what I would've chosen for that particular rifle.) But I have not had any reason to change them out as they have performed very well through 1.5 seasons at BWSA. I have been pleasantly surprised, especially since they are a fraction of the cost of what I would've spent.

pilatusbahn
12-13-2016, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the info.
Actually, the Warne Maxima is what I'm planning on buying this weekend or next
or whenever I can get to Cabela's.

Actually, hoping to take the muzzleloader with me, and then have them get attached and
do the initial bore sight on site.

But wont be a while before I get to the range...will just wait for a nice spring day
with all this cold and snow.