PDA

View Full Version : ATN X-Sight Digital Night Vision..

pkuptruck
01-20-2017, 01:45 PM
read alot of reviews, good and bad on this unit..

anyone HAVE one? Used one?

fr3db3ar
01-20-2017, 06:30 PM
I've had several and they all went away. Some people have great luck with them and sing their praise. The video quality in the daytime is awesome but I found their performance at night lacking. Many of the features they advertise are not functional. Some updates fix one thing but turn off another. I'm a pulsar pathfinder but that's just recent. I would recommend a Photon over an xsight. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

miked
01-20-2017, 08:35 PM
I have one.

Mine will not focus properly past 50 yards, at 100 you can barely make out the target. Working on getting that resolved. When changing yardages you have to manually change focus.

You need to use external battery pack (i.e. usb phone chargers) if you plan on using it for any realistic amount of time. It takes time to power up, you need to keep it on if using it for hunting or you may miss your shot.

Night vision can be greatly improved by using a more powerfull ir illuminator. The ability to switch from green to greyscale is nice.

In theory it is a great idea, I liked the ability to use it day or night but power consumption and the focusing issues with mine prevent me from giving it a rave review.

miked
02-03-2017, 09:44 PM
I have one.

Mine will not focus properly past 50 yards, at 100 you can barely make out the target. Working on getting that resolved. When changing yardages you have to manually change focus.

You need to use external battery pack (i.e. usb phone chargers) if you plan on using it for any realistic amount of time. It takes time to power up, you need to keep it on if using it for hunting or you may miss your shot.

Night vision can be greatly improved by using a more powerfull ir illuminator. The ability to switch from green to greyscale is nice.

In theory it is a great idea, I liked the ability to use it day or night but power consumption and the focusing issues with mine prevent me from giving it a rave review.
Update, i got my focusing issues resolved (embarassingly inane user error DOH!). Given that, my opinion of the scope has improved.

pkuptruck
02-04-2017, 05:13 AM
Update, i got my focusing issues resolved (embarassingly inane user error DOH!). Given that, my opinion of the scope has improved.

with the focusing issue resolved, how much MORE do you like it?

what substitute IR unit do you use? (or recommend? )

still kicking it around, but getting ever closer.. lol

miked
02-06-2017, 08:53 AM
with the focusing issue resolved, how much MORE do you like it?

what substitute IR unit do you use? (or recommend? )

still kicking it around, but getting ever closer.. lol

I like it a lot better. I bought this sight on sale over a year ago but never really had much time to play with it. Once I found out they opened up night hunting for centerfire I have been trying to spend a little more time working to get aquainted with it.

I am still using the illuminator that came with it. I'm still in the same boat looking for a good light. ATN makes one a little brighter (IR850 Pro), but I have not yet done enough research to drop any cash on a new one.

For power I bought a couple of high capacity Anker batteries and connect them via USB. The only downside is that you have to remove the dust/weather cover to access the USB port so you lose some weather resistance. Not a big deal if you hunt from blinds or pop up blinds but not so good if you sit out in the weather.

fr3db3ar
02-06-2017, 10:07 AM
You can make a weatherproof port cover out of Sugru, or I have some that are mostly weatherproof 3d printed. Do a search for predator hunter outdoors. Paul sells support lights that have been tested in the field and it's a Michigan company.

miked
02-07-2017, 10:00 AM
You can make a weatherproof port cover out of Sugru, or I have some that are mostly weatherproof 3d printed. Do a search for predator hunter outdoors. Paul sells support lights that have been tested in the field and it's a Michigan company.

Thanks for the jnfo. I went ahead and looked at some of the stuff on their web page. Looks good and I bookmarked it for later when I have a little more time to check them out in more detail.

benzy2
02-08-2017, 06:56 AM
What do you want to do with it? As a day scope, it's mediocre at best. Any $200+ 3-9x is a far better day scope. If the plan is to use it mostly in the day, I'd rather have a normal scope.

For night use, it's a bit more useful. I've used mine two years now and it's worked great for night hunts. I bought a better IR illuminator which pushed useful range out to about 250 yards. It has its glitches and it's far from perfect but resolution wise it's on par between Gen2 and Gen3 night vision. You will need the new IR light and mounts as well as proper batteries ($50ish each). At that price, it's untouched by traditional NV. Traditional NV is better and less finicky but it's also $3000-$10000 for a similar resolution option. Now, that's comparing one optic that needs an IR source and one that doesn't but still, it's a drastic difference. So if it's an occasional night hunt or you just can't justify the cost, it's a viable option that will let you shoot at night.

The real question is the Xsight or the Photon. The Photon is massive. It's easier to use by a touch but I like the color day image of the Xsight. Either has its benefits and they both have their issues. Both are dependent on a good IR light. Both will give you the ability to shoot at night. I'd grab either based on price. The only regret I have is that I went with the 5x option and not the 3x option. So much easier to spot with at 3x than 5x and when there is no color, it's much harder to quickly find where you are and the extra magnification is less important than the wider FOV.

Bob the nailer
02-27-2017, 08:09 PM
read alot of reviews, good and bad on this unit..

anyone HAVE one? Used one?

I have a X-Sight II 3-14 HD, works fantastic! Just updated the current firmware .747 day focus really good too. With 1080p , 64gb storage along with recording and crystal clear pictures, lots of neat features. Check out the face book support page for tips and operating tricks. Would I buy another? Yes. Only my next purchase Will be a ThOr.

kdogg
06-14-2017, 11:19 AM
Have any of your opinions changed on these? I'm looking at the 20x version. I can't figure out why they are so cheap. I would be using this for an AR-15 at night for Coyote hunting.

pkuptruck
06-14-2017, 02:03 PM
Have any of your opinions changed on these? I'm looking at the 20x version. I can't figure out why they are so cheap. I would be using this for an AR-15 at night for Coyote hunting.

still kicking it around. All signs point to YES and for the same purpose, give or take, that you are interested in..