PDA

View Full Version : 19.1 Bighorn Safe Costco

castrotikon
01-23-2017, 01:08 PM
Anyone have any experience with this line of safes? The reviews are pretty good and while the price is a bit high right now, I've seen it marked at $200 off in the past and I've heard it usually goes on sale a few times a year.

https://www.costco.com/BIGHORN-Safe-19.1-CuFt,-30-min-Fire-Protection,-59%22H-x-28%22W-x-20%22D---Electronic-Lock.product.11642080.html

Unless anyone has any glaring objections or stories they've heard, I'm thinking it's a pretty solid deal if you can snag it on sale for $600.

RifleGuy
01-23-2017, 01:10 PM
Take a few minutes to watch this. Some good information.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LgKThatkjM

kicker42
01-23-2017, 01:21 PM
Waste of 600 + tax imo

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

DEVIL DOG
01-23-2017, 05:11 PM
Given enough time & the right tools, nothing is truly "SAFE". All you can hope to do is slow the criminals down. Buy the best safe you can afford, get an alarm, & insurance. Biggest mistake folks make is to BRAG about what they have to the wrong people.

castrotikon
01-23-2017, 05:36 PM
I'm aware of that much, I figure even if I dropped $2k on a safe, given a couple days undisturbed someone would find a way in eventually. My manner of thinking is more so if a criminal breaks in, my alarm siren goes off, police are en route (let's say 10 minutes average, I live in a pretty large town so there's always cops around), is a typical smash and grab crook digging through my place going to see this safe and think "Yeah, there's probably something good in there, I've got time to open it up" or "screw it, I'm grabbing the TV and getting out of here"?

intheburbs
01-23-2017, 07:09 PM
Most safes aren't "safes." They're classified by UL as Residential Security Containers. An actual safe, say in the size of the one at Costco, would weigh several thousand pounds and cost thousands of dollars. Even these safes are only rated for 15 or 30 minute pry/cut/torch attacks. Nothing more.

A determined thief is going to get into your safe. Period.

For what it is, protection against a smash and grab meth head, yes, that's a decent safe.

As the saying goes, "Locks (and safes) only keep out honest people."

The best weapons I have to defend my stuff are my motion-activated wireless cameras. I have one pointed at each safe, and if they detect motion, I get an instant ping on my cell phone. I call the cops, and since they're right around the corner, their response time is less than 5 minutes. That's what's going to keep my stuff safe - not the $2000 Liberty Safe in the basement. That's just a minor obstacle.

AxlMyk
01-23-2017, 07:47 PM
I think I would go with the Liberty Centurion safes at Gander Mntn.
20% off with SAFE20 code.

partdeux
01-23-2017, 08:53 PM
costco is anti gun

castrotikon
01-23-2017, 10:22 PM
Most safes aren't "safes." They're classified by UL as Residential Security Containers. An actual safe, say in the size of the one at Costco, would weigh several thousand pounds and cost thousands of dollars. Even these safes are only rated for 15 or 30 minute pry/cut/torch attacks. Nothing more.

A determined thief is going to get into your safe. Period.

For what it is, protection against a smash and grab meth head, yes, that's a decent safe.

As the saying goes, "Locks (and safes) only keep out honest people."

The best weapons I have to defend my stuff are my motion-activated wireless cameras. I have one pointed at each safe, and if they detect motion, I get an instant ping on my cell phone. I call the cops, and since they're right around the corner, their response time is less than 5 minutes. That's what's going to keep my stuff safe - not the $2000 Liberty Safe in the basement. That's just a minor obstacle.

I like my motion activated camera but I prefer the alarm siren I have. Sends an alert to the police if I give the go ahead when the monitoring company calls me or if I just don't answer. That way not only do the police show up, but both the thief and my neighbors know something is going on.

castrotikon
01-24-2017, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the info. After watching it, I'm leaning more towards something like the Browning SP15. Still not the best out there but hopefully will slow down an attacker a bit more than a cheaper safe will.

RifleGuy
01-24-2017, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the info. After watching it, I'm leaning more towards something like the Browning SP15. Still not the best out there but hopefully will slow down an attacker a bit more than a cheaper safe will.

Wish I'd known all this before I bought my safe.
But, I intend to upgrade soon, and the current unit will be excellent for storage of ammo, and guns with little value.

4thsmith
01-24-2017, 05:55 PM
Go in the store, I bought a safe from Costco less than a week ago for $499
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u421/noah_smith10/image_zpsexa06xyo.jpeg
http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u421/noah_smith10/image_zpsfjfai2gi.jpeg

kicker42
01-25-2017, 11:09 AM
Get a liberty I have seen one that someone spent a few hours trying to get in and never got it open. Recommend the Lincoln.

kicker42
01-25-2017, 11:12 AM
Also liberty has a free device that send alerts to your phone if you door is open, movement is detected. You can also set up alerts for temp Hi/Lo and humidity level.

castrotikon
01-25-2017, 04:20 PM
Liberty Lincoln is wayyyyyy out of my price range. I'd probably be looking at the Private 20.

erict
01-25-2017, 09:52 PM
It's a decent safe for the money, IMO. I own one. Just make sure you bolt to floor and if possible, set in a corner with the door opening edge facing the wall to make using a pry bar of sort hard to use.

ArielSellers
02-06-2017, 05:50 PM
Given enough time & the right tools, nothing is truly "SAFE". All you can hope to do is slow the criminals down. Buy the best safe you can afford, get an alarm, & insurance. Biggest mistake folks make is to BRAG about what they have to the wrong people.

I completely agree.

Rule number one for safe ownership, "Don't Talk about your safe."

No one should know that you have one, and if they do know you have one, they should not know what brand it is or where it is stored. Because like you said, you might talk to the "wrong people". But with how people talk, even telling a person that is trustworthy can end up with that person telling other people.

Word gets out if you put it out there.

But on the topic of the safe that you are choosing, just think about this. In security, you get what you pay for. If you are spending 600 dollars on a safe, how much protection are you really getting? How much more than $600 are you securing? If it is 10 times more, then you have an issue.

Protecting what you have really comes down to how set you are on keeping it.

AxlMyk
02-07-2017, 10:36 AM
I completely agree.

Rule number one for safe ownership, "Don't Talk about your safe."

No one should know that you have one, and if they do know you have one, they should not know what brand it is or where it is stored. Because like you said, you might talk to the "wrong people". But with how people talk, even telling a person that is trustworthy can end up with that person telling other people.

Word gets out if you put it out there.

But on the topic of the safe that you are choosing, just think about this. In security, you get what you pay for. If you are spending 600 dollars on a safe, how much protection are you really getting? How much more than $600 are you securing? If it is 10 times more, then you have an issue.

Protecting what you have really comes down to how set you are on keeping it.

Who the heck is this guy? :mischeif: Welcome to the MGO forum.

ArielSellers
02-08-2017, 07:27 PM
Who the heck is this guy? :mischeif: Welcome to the MGO forum.

Thank you!

Been lurking on the forum for a while.

I finally found a topic where I had something to say.

Looking forward to doing more of it.

J. Browne
02-12-2017, 01:06 PM

Any idea what brand that safe is in the video? The better one that is lol