PDA

View Full Version : New scope for Remington 742

alexjahn
02-01-2017, 12:56 PM
I just recently acquired a 1969 Remington 742 woodmaster 30-06. I would like to put a scope on this and use it for hunting up north. I have never bought a scope before so I'm not sure what to do. I already have a rail for mounting. Do you buy scopes and rings separately? I want to spend no more than $300 for everything. Any recommendations?

alexjahn
02-01-2017, 12:58 PM
I would like to sight it in between 100-300yrds. Not sure what to pick.

Ghost1941
02-01-2017, 03:53 PM
Vortex is a great company with admirable customer service. If you are .mil or LEO they offer a considerable discount off the MSRP on their website.

This is a good budget optic for a hunting rifle.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/crossfire_II_riflescopes

Rings - it really depends on how much you want to spend...
http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/rings_mounts

I have the 2-7 on a Ruger American Predator in .308. It's a nice short little rifle for hunting with.

10x25mm
02-01-2017, 06:04 PM
First, take your Remington 742 out to the range and put about 20 rounds through it. Does it function properly? These rifles are getting long in the tooth and you probably do not know how well it was stored over the years. You will commonly encounter functioning problems due to uncleaned internal fouling and minor rust. Not a major issue - these rifles can be cleaned up and made to run like a top - but a full cleaning requires removing the barrel and this can change the rifle's point of impact (and require scope rezeroing).

Before you take it out to the range, you can pull off the fore end and drop the trigger group. This allows you to carefully clean and lubricate the gas system, and blow out and lightly lube the trigger group. Anoint the bolt with a little oil, but don't attempt to remove it. Believe me, removing and disassembling the Remington 742 bolt is a job for a skilled professional gunsmith!

Many Michigan hunters install 'see through' rings (https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-1-Inch-Steel-Mounts-Remington/dp/B001DBFM80%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q %26tag%3Dduckduckgo-ffsb-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165 953%26creativeASIN%3DB001DBFM80) on Remington 742s: really high rings which allow you to use the iron sights with the scope mounted. I think these are a mistake because your head is completely off the stock when you are using the scope. Better that you get serious about the scope and forego the iron sights. Should you want a set of see through rings, I have several and will give you a set free.

For a first scope mounting project, you cannot go wrong with a standard Weaver style base (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/531734/weaver-top-mount-scope-base-62-gloss). They are cheap and very serviceable. Install them using soft thread locker on the screw threads.

At this point, you want to select and purchase your scope. Keep in mind that a Remington 742 is not a match rifle. They will all shoot in 3 MOA, but you really have to work to get them much under 2 MOA. So a lower powered scope or variable powered scope is appropriate. 2.5x or 4x fixed power scopes, or 1.5 - 5x or 2 - 7x variable powered scopes are good choices. Buy you scope covers as well. Butler Creeks work well.

Now measure how high off the Weaver base the scope needs to be to avoid the ocular or objective bells coming in contact with the firearm at the point where you are going to mount it. Figure out whether the scope rings can be mounted where the cross slots are in the base, or whether it needs to be shifted forward by extended rings (http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_bases/rings/detachable_top_mount/#).

Then go to the Weaver ring chart (http://www.weaveroptics.com/resources/ring_charts/dovetail_ring_height_guide/) and figure out which rings to buy. If you don't have a cleaning cradle (https://www.amazon.com/Hoppes-No-9-Cleaning-Cradle/dp/B001HBHNN8%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q %26tag%3Dduckduckgo-ffsb-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165 953%26creativeASIN%3DB001HBHNN8), you might want to get one. They make mounting a scope much easier. Correct sized screwdrivers or hex wrenches (https://www.amazon.com/Chapman-8900-Slotted-Screwdriver-Equipment/dp/B0002IT4WU%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q %26tag%3Dduckduckgo-ffsb-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165 953%26creativeASIN%3DB0002IT4WU) are also of benefit. You are not going to use thread locker on the ring screws, so you want good screwdrivers to get those screws tight.

Mounting the scope consists of getting its reticle upright and the scope positioned far enough from your eye that you don't get hit by the ocular bell during recoil. This takes a lot of fiddling, but it is fun to do. Shouldering the rifle both left and right handed will confirm that you have the reticle upright. Most shooters cant their rifles, but shouldn't. Get the reticle so it is canted equally, in opposite directions when you shoulder it right and left handed. Make certain the scope is far enough forward. You want to see a full image through the scope when your head is comfortable placed on the stock. Wear your hunting clothes for this if you bundle up. You want to be right in the 'sweet spot' where moving your head forward and backwards keeps a full image in the scope.

Ol` Joe
02-01-2017, 08:11 PM
:yeahthat: Some excellent points here to ponder.

alexjahn
02-02-2017, 01:40 PM
Thanks for all the info. I took the gun to the range twice. First as is and second after I did a deep cleaning. It shoots pretty good and cycles ok. I had a few failure to feeds the first trip. After I good cleaning I only had 2 after shooting 16 rounds. Not great but I think a new magazine would help.

Do you recommend I get one of those bore sighting bullet lasers to get started on zeroing the scope? Im not too worried about using the iron sights. I shoot right handed and can't close my left eye therefore I really can't shoot rifles without an eye patch or a scope. I could always switch to left handed shooting but it feels uncomfortable and unnatural to me.

I'm thinking with hunting in the woods I wouldn't take more than a 100yrd shot. I'll look into some of the brands and setups you guys recommend and will let you know what I come up with.

alexjahn
02-02-2017, 02:03 PM
I believe I already have a weaver style rail mount on the gun. I would like to go with the 2x7 crossfire 2 scout scope from vortex or something just like it. I'm not sure even after looking at the chart how to select the correct rings? I hope mounting and sighting it in isn't too tricky.

10x25mm
02-02-2017, 02:32 PM
Thanks for all the info. I took the gun to the range twice. First as is and second after I did a deep cleaning. It shoots pretty good and cycles ok. I had a few failure to feeds the first trip. After I good cleaning I only had 2 after shooting 16 rounds. Not great but I think a new magazine would help.

Do you recommend I get one of those bore sighting bullet lasers to get started on zeroing the scope? Im not too worried about using the iron sights. I shoot right handed and can't close my left eye therefore I really can't shoot rifles without an eye patch or a scope. I could always switch to left handed shooting but it feels uncomfortable and unnatural to me.

I'm thinking with hunting in the woods I wouldn't take more than a 100yrd shot. I'll look into some of the brands and setups you guys recommend and will let you know what I come up with.

Your rifle's failures to feed may indicate a need for a deep, professional cleaning. A lot of Remington 742 owners dispose of their rifles when they start misbehaving, but this is almost always fully corrected with a deep cleaning. Beware the cheap, or gift, Remington 742! Original Remington 742 factory magazines are pretty durable and reliable - unless they show obvious evidence of damage or rust. Rust at the bolt/bolt carrier interface will really slow down bolt return velocity and adversely affect feeding. This is common in Remington 742s and a matter best turned over to a skilled gunsmith. The Remington 742 bolt spits small parts all over during disassembly and is a evil bitch challenge to reassemble.

It appears that you have a left master eye, but are right handed. A very low powered scope (1x - 2x) or a red dot may work for you shooting right handed if you cannot close your left eye, but an eye patch or switching over to left handed shooting is the only certain remedy. You cannot put a 'cross over' stock (http://www.visualtrading.info/crossover-visual-trading-stock.php) on a Remington 742 due to the high stock bolt in the buttstock.

My left/right handed shouldering trick is only one means to level a reticle, not a recommendation for actual shooting.

Bore sighting lasers work, but are expensive. Will you be mounting enough scopes to justify a laser bore sighter? A nice hillside at 25 yards works almost as well. I would spend my money on a gunsmith's cleaning, screwdrivers, and a cleaning cradle first.

alexjahn
02-02-2017, 03:28 PM
I already cleaning it really good. I couldn't get the barrel nut off but I got the trigger group out and cleaned the spring and guide rods. I was thinking of switching to 150gr billets because I hear lighter bullets allow the slide to cycle and move faster. I still think the magazine has a bit of a weak spring. Plus lots of rust and debris was coming out of the mag when I cleaned it. I have tried red dots and low power scope but that doesn't help much. I find that it I get the scope in the right spot I can see clearly through it with both eyes open. Can you tell me what rings I would need to work with a 2-7 crossfire 2 scout scope?

10x25mm
02-02-2017, 03:47 PM
I already cleaning it really good. I couldn't get the barrel nut off but I got the trigger group out and cleaned the spring and guide rods. I was thinking of switching to 150gr billets because I hear lighter bullets allow the slide to cycle and move faster. I still think the magazine has a bit of a weak spring. Plus lots of rust and debris was coming out of the mag when I cleaned it. I have tried red dots and low power scope but that doesn't help much. I find that it I get the scope in the right spot I can see clearly through it with both eyes open. Can you tell me what rings I would need to work with a 2-7 crossfire 2 scout scope?

Eye relief of the Vortex 2-7 Crossfire II Scout (http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/crossfire-II-2-7x32-scout-scope) scope is 9.45 inches. It cannot be mounted on your Remington 742's receiver. The Vortex 2-7 Crossfire II (http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/crossfire-II-2-7x32-with-v-plex-moa-reticle) scope [not Scout] has an eye relief of 3.9 inches and would be suitable for mounting on your Remington 742's receiver. The Vortex 2-7 Crossfire II Scout would have to be mounted forward, on the barrel of your Remington 742 in the vicinity of its rear sight. Not aware of any forward, scout-type mount available for the Remington 742.

Vortex does not provide a dimensioned drawing of the scope, but does state that the objective lens is 32mm diameter. This suggests an ocular bell diameter in the vicinity of 37mm, around 1.5 inches in diameter. The Weaver chart (http://www.weaveroptics.com/resources/ring_charts/dovetail_ring_height_guide/) suggests their low dovetail rings will work, but their medium height dovetail rings are a certain bet unless the Vortex scope ocular bell runs into your rear sight (which can be removed). This degree of uncertainty is why you want to purchase the scope first, before the rings.

Rust in the magazine of your rifle would be a strong indicator that you have rust at the bolt/bolt carrier interface. 150 grain bulleted .30-05 Springfield cartridges generally produce lower gas port pressure than heavier bullets. Hence lower bolt velocities.

alexjahn
02-02-2017, 04:09 PM
The bolt carrier and reciever didn't look to bad. There are some wear marks and you can kinda see where the bolt "chatters" against the reciever. Other than that is not really rusty. I will go with your recommendation and buy the scope first. I will comment back once I have rings and can mount it and take some shots. I appreciate your help and timely responses.

10x25mm
02-02-2017, 04:17 PM
The bolt carrier and reciever didn't look to bad. There are some wear marks and you can kinda see where the bolt "chatters" against the reciever. Other than that is not really rusty. I will go with your recommendation and buy the scope first. I will comment back once I have rings and can mount it and take some shots. I appreciate your help and timely responses.

The 'chatter' marks are a good indication that you have rust at the bolt / bolt carrier interface. The 'chatter' marks occur when a Remington 742 is shot with little to no lubrication. Such rust is not visible without pulling out the bolt / slide assembly and this requires removing the Remington 742 barrel.

Get any scope covers you want also before you buy rings. The ocular lens cover can occupy enough vertical space to require higher rings in a close fit situation. Since Vortex does not provide a dimensioned drawing of their scope's exterior, you cannot do a paper 'stack up'.

Ol` Joe
02-02-2017, 08:15 PM
The 2x7 Crossfire II has a 1" diameter tube.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/crossfire-II-2-7x32-with-v-plex-moa-reticle

Ghost1941
02-04-2017, 09:22 PM
These rings will work for you. Get them in low. It should be fine... if not, they have tremendous customer service and will exchange them without issue.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-hunting-1-inch-rings-low

alexjahn
02-07-2017, 09:21 AM
I just ordered the crossfire 2 2-7x32 BDC and 1" low vortex rings. I'm a little worried that my scope won't clear my rear iron sight. Might also be able to see the front sight post in the scope as well. I might be able to take the rear sight apart but I'm not positive. If this is a problem would you recommend getting the medium rings to get the scope a little higher? I'm not sure if it's possible or how much it would cost to remove the iron sights all together. Plus I would like to keep them on there if i ever sell it.

alexjahn
02-19-2017, 05:05 PM
Crossfire and low rings work great! I went to the range and started sighted in. I had solid groups and starting working my way to the bullseye. After my last adjustment I put one right through the center, then the next 2 shots were center but low. I check to make sure my a scope rings were tight. They could still get a little tighter leading me to believe that I didn't thighten them enough the first time. Next 2 shots were still center but also low. I think I need to do a little more shooting at 25 yards but at least it's close. I think if I had more time I might have been able to make it perfect. It also looks like my scope turned a little bit which is why I think I didn't have the rings tight enough. I've heard too many stories of tightening the rings too much so I didn't want to over tighten. Having the bore sight laser helped a lot to give me a point of reference. I just wish I had a torque wrench for the scope ring screws.

Ghost1941
02-19-2017, 10:33 PM
Alex,

Glad the optic worked out for you. As for the rings and torque, PM me. I live in troy. I have a Vortex torque wrench and we can torque the rings doen to spec.

Cheers and welcome to the Nation.

beeffarm
03-16-2017, 12:40 PM
I have a few leupold scopes that would fit your Rem 742 assuming it's a 30-60. I have a couple 3-9x40 or 3-9x50 scopes for just over half the price of a new one and it will match your rifle very well. I'd suggest gloss finish to match your rifle finish. Leupold are guaranteed for the company... It's all I use for hunting.
Call or email if you need more information. 616-443-2956. gouldk@msu.edu.
Kevin.

fatskater
03-16-2017, 01:34 PM
Thanks for this post. I have picked up both a Remington 742 in 30.06 and .308 in recent year and have not shot them much. Perhaps I will get the full cleaning done before I do anymore.